Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready for my 600 mile service. I was going to change the oil myself but the service department didn't have the filter. It took a few days for them to track down what it needed because it wasn't in their system. Turns out the filter is back ordered. They say, they managed to find one, but it won't be here until next week. So I booked an appointment for the shop to do the service.

What is everyone doing for maintenance and service?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Dont they have to check the valves at 600 miles too? Thats beyond me. Wonder how much the 600 mile service will cost?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah there's not much to do, chain maintenance I guess.

I got this stuff that is a little thicker than 90wt for chains. I put in on when I come home and the chain is warm. I put a few drops on a tooth brush and spread it all over. It's not very messy that way, pretty easy. Then in the morning I give it a quick wipe and go. works good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had 1.000km (approx. 600 miles) service few days ago. New oil, filter, valves adjustment, chain adjustment. I've paid c.a. 200 USD (Honda Authorized Service in Poland). I'm very interesting, how much prices in US are different than in Europe.

·
Registered
400 Posts
they said chain adjustment at 500 miles,600 was for oil and valve?

oh and my dealer told me to try and stay under 6k rpm for 600miles break-in...and its not fun :( and i only have 45 miles put on my bike

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Interesting to see that in some countries the first service has to be paid for, while in others it is "free" (in reality included in the cost of the new bike). I would have regarded the latter as normal, and good practice for Honda Authorized Service to check over and set up the bike after those initial shakedown miles.

Free or not, I would be inclined to have the first service done by the dealer, or an authorized service centre. It would help avoid any argument should there be any warranty claim.

Might be an idea to continue to use authorised service throughout the warranty period for the same reason, though provided the servicing is done according to the schedule it should not be a problem.

I have never owned a vehicle still under warranty, and have mostly done maintenance myself, following the recommended schedule. One of the attractions of the CBR250R is that it looks to be easy to maintain.

Chain and the like are surely the responsibility of the owner. Requirements vary according to operating conditions.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Funny to see you guys asking others here about the service, how about READING the manual for the bike :)

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Funny to see you guys asking others here about the service, how about READING the manual for the bike :)
Good point Kim....

But with the prices quoted ($120) / paid ($US 200) for servicing I feel some people might be considering cheaper alternatives.

Here in Thailand I don't have access to a workshop, so I get a guy with a small bike motorcycle repair shop near where I live to service Honda Dream for me... though I sometimes do a bit if he is busy. He does a good thorough job, better than the dealer I went to a couple of times; checks and adjusts everything, and advises anything extra that needs to be done.

For the basic oil change (0.7 litre) and once over he charges 120 baht, equivalent to about $US 4.00. He takes 10 or 15 minutes to do it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dropped my bike off at the dealership for its 600 mile service. They said the book showed 2.5 hours needed and I have to leave it over night so they can check the valves.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I dropped my bike off at the dealership for its 600 mile service. They said the book showed 2.5 hours needed and I have to leave it over night so they can check the valves.
Overnight for the first service I can understand. The engine should be cold when the tappets are checked and adjusted. I hope they give you a loan bike to go home on.

2.5 hours to do the service! Sounds a bit long to me, but if that what it says in the book, no doubt the shop will charge like a wounded bull for all that.... I wonder if their mechanic gets paid for the full 2.5 hours if he takes less time?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well, I'm sure they'll charge if it takes longer.:p

I ask about the book giving an 8K mile oil change interval. Oh, no, we don't recommend that, so I just laughed. But I have half a mind to try it, why not.

I guess the only way to be sure is to test the oil. But didn't Honda probably do that already and found 8K miles will work fine? It sound pretty good to me, cheap and doesn't pollute as much as more frequent oil changes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am going to get the 600 mile service done at the dealer. I just figured it would be best for them to check it out as they would spot any issues that I would likely miss.
I don't want any issues if there is a problem in the future while it is under warranty.

·
745 Posts
Ditto for Michael... Although I maintain just about everything I own, I'll take the CBR to the dealer at the 600 mile and probably the 4000 mile, just to make sure that everything regarding my warranty is warm and fuzzy. The Service manager told me at pickup that they have zero issues with me doing the work as long as I keep the receipts.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
got my first service done, Labor $170 2hrs, parts $10.75, Oil filter washer.

Tech said that it took them longer to get to the valves than they expected, had to take off the tank, maybe the radiator, he said 'a lot of stuff.' The head goes pretty high up.

But he did say the cams slid out of the way easily and that made checking the gaps quick. Runs good, I guess I can flog it mercilessly now. Next check at 16k miles. :)

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't know if the shop adjusted my chain, but it was too loose. I adjusted it so there was 1" play. You need a 24mm socket and to tighten the axle nut to 64lbs. It's not hard to do and the directions in the manual worked good.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts