Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Just joined the forum yesterday. I have a quick question regarding maintenance pitfalls that a newbie with no mechanical skill or knowledge might face, especially in a foreign country.

I am living in Seoul, South Korea, and speak very little Korean. It's my understanding that maintenance costs are higher on all imported bikes here. That's one of the main reasons I was initially leaning towards the cheaper Hyosung. At the end of the day, I decided to overpay(by at least 20-30% compared to the cost in the States), and go for the CBR250r.

Someone responded to my intro post that they think I am the only member that is living in Korea, so I'm assuming that it'll be difficult to find any specific or concrete answers about the maintenance services provided for CBRs here in Korea.

But if anyone can give any suggestions on what to look out for as far in terms of red flags or issues that might or have unnaturally popped up on this bike, I would grately appreciate it. Like I said, I have no experience with working on bikes or cars. Also, if any experiences can be shared with dealing with service departments in a foreign country, specifically Korea, I'd love to hear about it.

I'm not paranoid. Just trying to be aware of any issues that more than likely will be presented. Thanks!

·
Banned
834 Posts
Buy the service manual and do it yourself. Take your time and use the correct tools. Don;t be afraid to work on it yourself. Work on each maintenance item as a separate project and read the instructions very carefully, take notes and research on here and the internet before starting, organize parts and hardware in labeled ziplock bags/plastic baggies. get a good highpowered light over the area to be worked on. Treat the bike like you are performing a surgury if you were a doctor. Follow all directions 100% to the tee and follow the correct torque settings required for the hardware (Bolts, etc).

Use official Honda parts that are listed in the service manual.

I'm getting ready to do the 600 mile service on my bike.

Bottom line, I don't trust dealers with my bike, I've seen too many people end up with scratches on their bikes from careless bike mechanics and getting them to compensate you will be a tough task.

If you do take it to a dealer, make sure you take dated photos of the bike and make them complete a bike inspection report BEFORE they work on it and when they finish your bike you need to thoroughly inspect your bike BEFORE you leave the premises.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts