Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was looking through my brand spanking new expertly & professionally bound and collated $30 CBR Service Manual and right off the bat I noticed a disparity from what I have always been told in here.

I always thought that with me at 230lbs I could only have a passenger if they weighed around 140lbs to stay under the max weight capacity that I was told (in this forum,multiple times) was around 358lbs or so...well..it turns out...the service manual says the "CURB WEIGHT" is 357lbs/162kg , or in other words the weight of the vehicle itself, not to be confused with the max gross weight or max weight capacity......it goes on to say the maximum weight capacity of the bike is 478lbs/217kg, or in other words you can load and ride with passengers and cargo up to a total weight of 478lbs...that means I can still safely load another 248 lbs on the bike besides me

This previous incorrect max weight information has kept my GF from riding with me since i bought the bike last july because she weighs over 140lbs and neither of us wanted to roll the dice by going over max weight capacity...So I am wondering where the confusion came from? where did the original numbers come from? was it from an indian or thai manual that might have different specs than my thai made for america model?

·
Registered
29 Posts
The owner's manual says that the maximum weight capacity (driver, passenger and cargo) is not to exceed 309 lbs.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The owner's manual says that the maximum weight capacity (driver, passenger and cargo) is not to exceed 309 lbs.
Thats an even different number again, my user manual is out in the garage and i dont feel like going to get it right now but that number seems awful low for a 2 person bike..(even Honda has 2 people riding in half there advertisements)..... why would there be such a huge difference between the owners manual and the Honda Service Manual? which one is correct?

Guess I'll call Honda customer service tomorrow and and wait on the phone for 20 minutes to talk to a human and ask them and see if they know the answer

·
Registered
282 Posts
my owners manual says "maximum weight capacity 180kg(397lb)" my service manual (helm inc version) says same as OP.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I weigh 165 and I wouldn't go uphill with anyone over 140 max based on the way the bike behaves.
Two people? Safely? Sure, two Japanese people or Thai people; maybe two Indian people. Everyone else - use some caution and judgement regardless of what the manual says. The 309 number seems on the high side of reasonable.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I called Honda Corporate Customer Service today..she promised to call me back sometime today with the answer of why MY user manual says max weight 366lbs/166kg but Service manual says 478lbs/217kg and to tell me which one is correct...
I find it very odd that there is such a difference in max weight in the user manuals between all these countries? All our bikes are made basically the same..the frame and parts should all be identical..I know India has different tires than the IRC's us Americans got which might make a difference.

Ill post her response on here when and if i get one.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Honda Corporate just called me back..The official word is..the information regarding maximum weight capacity in the User manual included with the bike is INCORRECT!

The Service Manual has the correct information and is what we should go by..the Maximum Weight Capacity of the CBR250R OFFICIALLY is 478 lbs/217 kg..

I was thanked several times for bringing this to Honda's attention, they were not aware the user manuals were printed with the incorrect max weight capacity information and I was assured that steps are now being taken to fix the printed error in future user manuals..

So lets go buy our chiks a helmet and double up :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Get it in writing...

Notarized...

Signed in blood...

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
217 kg is more than the weight of the bike.

Crikey..... how heavy is the woman!?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
217 kg is more than the weight of the bike.

Crikey..... how heavy is the woman!?
lol..never said I needed all the max weight capacity to ride my GF..I'm 105 kg myself..so she needed to be 64 kg or less by the user manuals stated max capacity numbers...she was over that and I wasn't willing to kill us both by overloading the bikes maximum weight capacity by even a few pounds or kilograms...
now that I know 217 kg is the real number, we actually have room for a 3rd small person weight wise..if there was room for a 3rd to sit ;)

·
Registered
206 Posts
This is great news. I am in the same boat as spdklls.
All though I have not found any thing concrete per say.. but do we really stomp the ninja 250r in weight limit by that much?
Also spdkll not that I dont trust you.. because I have no reason not to but is there any way you could scan or shoot a pic of your service manual that has the weight info on it? It is nothing personal,:) it it just when it comes to my safety I am thee ONLY one I trust.
Thanks for the home work you did!!!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hard to believe.
Before testing that limit with a friend I'd almost want to bungee a few sacks of gravel on there just to see how it handled - and if it could climb a grade of any significance.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I weigh 85 kg and I had a friend who weighs 105 kg on the back. I really wouldn't like to do it again, unless absolutely necessary, it felt a lot for this bike. I'd treat the 217 kg max weight with suspicion, it seems an awful lot. I can imagine differences that would make bikes in other parts of the world have different maximum carrying capacity. In countries where people weigh a lot less on average than other countries, it'd make sense for a different shock absorber to be installed. I know brakes are different in different places around the world too. This could also make a difference.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is great news. I am in the same boat as spdklls.
All though I have not found any thing concrete per say.. but do we really stomp the ninja 250r in weight limit by that much?
Also spdkll not that I dont trust you.. because I have no reason not to but is there any way you could scan or shoot a pic of your service manual that has the weight info on it? It is nothing personal,:) it it just when it comes to my safety I am thee ONLY one I trust.
Thanks for the home work you did!!!
The moderator police in here get irritable bowel syndrome anytime the words ..pic..service manual..post ..are all used in the same sentence ...after all the threads and posts i have seen very recently about the evils of distributing copyrighted material on this forum..i am sorry but cant fulfill your request...but on the bright side..I just pm'd you the link to the guy who sells the $30 service manual..several of us in here have purchased it from him..or go to Lukes website ,lmao :p..Helm.com ...just playin with ya super MOD....and purchase the exact same thing for $75 + shipping.

And dont see any reason why a 357 lb bike couldn't hold 478 lbs on it...a 1000 lb trailer will hold 3 tons (same principle) I know it will be a bit top heavy and the ebgine will be taxed, just be extra careful if you do double up :D

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
And dont see any reason why a 357 lb bike couldn't hold 478 lbs on it...a 1000 lb trailer will hold 3 tons (same principle) :D
There is a whole lot of Dynamics goin on on a motorcycle, some pillions are great but thats only if they weigh 55kg and move with the rider, and lean more as they are further behind the central mass.
Bit different to a trailer.

I weigh 80kg, even tho the One penii per bike rule applies... there is no way a 100kg chick is gettin on my back.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
There is a whole lot of Dynamics goin on on a motorcycle, some pillions are great but thats only if they weigh 55kg and move with the rider, and lean more as they are further behind the central mass.
Bit different to a trailer.

I weigh 80kg, even tho the One penii per bike rule applies... there is no way a 100kg chick is gettin on my back.
I agree. This is a light, slim bike. Just cause there's a pillion doesn't mean it's a great bike for passenger riding. Too many passengers don't know how to ride two up. Someone want to ride with you, suggest they get there own bike and meet them for a beverage:D Or buy a Goldwing or HD

·
Registered
206 Posts
The moderator police in here get irritable bowel syndrome anytime the words ..pic..service manual..post ..are all used in the same sentence ...after all the threads and posts i have seen very recently about the evils of distributing copyrighted material on this forum..i am sorry but cant fulfill your request...but on the bright side..I just pm'd you the link to the guy who sells the $30 service manual..several of us in here have purchased it from him..or go to Lukes website ,lmao :p..Helm.com ...just playin with ya super MOD....and purchase the exact same thing for $75 + shipping.

And dont see any reason why a 357 lb bike couldn't hold 478 lbs on it...a 1000 lb trailer will hold 3 tons (same principle) I know it will be a bit top heavy and the ebgine will be taxed, just be extra careful if you do double up :D
THANKS!!!
I appreciate your candor!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts