Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have been wanting to ride a motorcycle ever since I was a kid. Now way too many years later I am finally going to learn how. I am signed up for the first MSF course of the season in mid April, just hope this unreal good weather in MN holds up.

I am just a little conflicted, I have financing lined up for both a Kawasaki Ninja 250r and a Honda CBR250r. I am going back to the 2 respective dealers again tomorrow to try and get a feel for which one I want. I just wish there was a dealer that sold both, unfortunately the Honda dealer doesnt have any used ninja 250s. Actually used Ninja 250s are kinda rare and insanely priced, while the dealers here seem to have a suspicious amount of 2011 CBR250s in stock.

As for the Honda I am trying to choose between the black or the tri color, actually get to see the tri color for the first time tomorrow. But I am also considering a bigger bike, like the Ninja 650r or the Yamaha fz6r, both those would be used. Or even a used older super sport, yes I know the whole thing about not starting on a 600cc bike. I know what I would be in for and honestly I am confident I could do it, I am a very cautious person. I also would only be riding around my condo on side streets until I got the hang of low speed maneuvering, even if I was out there for 10 - 12 hours.

The only, and I mean only, reason I am considering buying a larger bike is because I HATE making big purchases. By big purchases I mean everything over a $100, even if I can easily afford it for some reason I go into all practical need to know everything good and bad about it mode whenever I want to buy something that will cost me more than $100. For example just bought a Tacoma, I decided to buy a new vehicle well over 10 months before I made my purchase. It took well over 9 months just to choose what vehicle I would get, spent tons of hours scouring the internet and days off just hopping from test drive to test drive. Finally decided on a Tacoma and still took over a month to finally stop being wishy washy and get one and only then only because I literally **** near stole it off the lot. (when I mean stole right now used its kbb value is well well over what I paid new).

I know right now that I am driving these sales people nuts, and I would like to actually be able to ride before the season ends. Simple fact is due to my financial situation and my shear stubbornness on retirement savings I would be looking at the bike I am going to get as one I will hold onto for at least the next 4 years if not 5.

So to all you experienced people what do you think? I know asking in a honda cbr250r forum is pretty duh, but still I have been lurking for a while and I have learned quite a bit. This place has been a great resource for me whether I decide on the Honda or not.

>< Holy crap wall of text. TLDR version I am noob, will be buying one bike to last next 4 or 5 years, 250? ninja 650? fz6r? or just be careful learning on an older model super sport? (I no longer have anything to prove to any one, will always wear gear, and have no interest in wheelies, no worries I am not a squid in the making)

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
You sound almost just like me my friend! It always takes me forever to make a decision on a purchase, even just a $40 thing. I've never come from money, so I've always been very tight. But when I sold my old bike that I got for a killer deal, and MADE money off it, which never happens, I was already looking at the CBR250R and loved it. And many times, I find myself kicking myself as to why I just made that purchase. With this, I have absolutely NO regrets whatsoever. It just might be the smartest thing I've ever done.

I'll tell you that I sold my old 250, and bought this new 250 for more power. People say I'm dumb for buying the same CC bike and not moving up in size, but I don't need anything bigger than a 250 for my commute. I wanted to keep my insurance down and my fuel economy high. I sat on/rode/looked at Ninja 250's and they were ok, but they didn't feel as well constructed as the CBR from what I could tell, and they are STILL NOT FUEL INJECTED! No excuse as all the Ninja 250's from everywhere else in the world are fuel injected at this point. The throttle response, sound, comfort, and low-end grunt the CBR has over the Ninja won me over instantly because you just don't have to rev it so ridiculously high like all these other traditional sportbikes. It'll do 0-60 in about 8 seconds, pulls well in all gears, and is a joy to ride. Can't ask for more, it's perfect. The ONLY bad thing I can say about it is the valve adjustments are a bit of a pain...but after doing it once it's easy as pie. That, and the exhaust is hideous, but that's easily fixed...:D

BTW, just had my first fill up, and it was 83 MPG...while still getting used to the clutch, and running 10w-40 oil, and not fully broken in yet, and cold weather, and busy traffic conditions. I'm 23, with a less than stellar diving record, and I get full coverage on this bike for $200 a year...LOVIN' IT!

·
Registered
879 Posts
The little CBR 250 is a great bike but does have its limitations. Its OK around town but not so good on the highway. I guess it would depend on how your going to use it. Top end on mine is about 87 mph. When your running it 80 on the big road its damm near flat out and I dont like to work the little motor that hard. Not all but many people will eventually move up to something bigger. If I were to I would just go with a 600 think you will much more happy with it in the long run. I also have a Yamaha FZ6R and it just plain does everything well. You can run highway all day long with no problem. Gas millage wont be as good and its a heaver bike but the trade off is worth it. Good luck

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
>< Holy crap wall of text. TLDR version I am noob, will be buying one bike to last next 4 or 5 years, 250? ninja 650? fz6r? or just be careful learning on an older model super sport? (I no longer have anything to prove to any one, will always wear gear, and have no interest in wheelies, no worries I am not a squid in the making)

Well, don't forget, almost everyone that starts out thinks they're being cautious. A bigger bike will be heavier and harder to handle.

I'd say start on a 250.

the ninja looks nicer exterior wise and is slightly faster.

However, the cbr trumps the ninja technology wise; has ABS, has a nicer looking dash, has fuel injection. It also gets better gas mileage. ANDDDD it's a Honda. :D

Watch some reviews online.

Ultimately, it's up to you.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Welcome aboard matey. :) I've owned both the Ninja 250 and the CBR 250. The CBR is better for every day real world riding, as the power band is much broader. The Cbr is quite a bit more economical as well. I'm averaging 82 mpg on the Honda, I was getting 68 mpg with the Ninja (UK FI model). The servicing on the Honda is going to be much cheaper as well. 8000 mile intervals for the Honda, 4000 miles for the Ninja. It's a twin as well, so more expensive to service. The Ninja is quicker over 8000 revs, but feels slower than a 125 up to about 6000 rpm. It pulls really well up to the redline from 8000 rpm though. I'd say the Ninja would be better as a track bike, or for weekend blasts. It depends on how you ride really. 600's are obviously much quicker, but much more expensive to run. A 250 will easily pull well up to speed limits, so if you ride within the law, or thereabouts, it'll be fine. ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
That was me last year. Now I am out of grad school and making some real money. I have been wanting to get into motorcycling but just never had the disposable income for it. A few years ago I really liked the Ninja 500, but when kawi dropped it in 09 that is what got me looking at the 250's. What I liked about the 250's was their price first but then I realized the relative lighter weight and beginner friendly learning curve would help a lot for a new rider. Honda dropped their CBR250 in 11' and I was sold.

I know what you are saying about a larger bike. I am not a fan of SuperSports because of the cost, low mpg, and unnecessary power for the road IMO. For adding a second bike to the collection I do like the Kawi Ninja 650 and the Honda Shadow. They are between 7 and 8 grand a piece, but more so I want the experience of riding a 250 and then upgrading years later. Like the next level in an adventure, instead of skipping right to the endgame.

I am jealous of your area's CBR saturation. Here the shop is still waiting to get their order in. I have my number on the "list" (which is just me haha) and I am hoping not to have a repeat of last year where the only CBR250 I could find was late in the season. Also, it was during a time I was moving and the dealer had a crazy high markup.

So to answer your dilemma I'm going with the CBR250 because of its fuel injection, better gage cluster, styling, weight (over larger bikes), and it's a few hundy cheaper too. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
That was me last year. Now I am out of grad school and making some real money. I have been wanting to get into motorcycling but just never had the disposable income for it. A few years ago I really liked the Ninja 500, but when kawi dropped it in 09 that is what got me looking at the 250's. What I liked about the 250's was their price first but then I realized the relative lighter weight and beginner friendly learning curve would help a lot for a new rider. Honda dropped their CBR250 in 11' and I was sold.

I know what you are saying about a larger bike. I am not a fan of SuperSports because of the cost, low mpg, and unnecessary power for the road IMO. For adding a second bike to the collection I do like the Kawi Ninja 650 and the Honda Shadow. They are between 7 and 8 grand a piece, but more so I want the experience of riding a 250 and then upgrading years later. Like the next level in an adventure, instead of skipping right to the endgame.

I am jealous of your area's CBR saturation. Here the shop is still waiting to get their order in. I have my number on the "list" (which is just me haha) and I am hoping not to have a repeat of last year where the only CBR250 I could find was late in the season. Also, it was during a time I was moving and the dealer had a crazy high markup.

So to answer your dilemma I'm going with the CBR250 because of its fuel injection, better gage cluster, styling, weight (over larger bikes), and it's a few hundy cheaper too. Hope this helps!
I hope I make some real money when I get out of grad school. I pretty much accepted that with a PhD, everyone will still be making more money than me...:(

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
My advice is to start on a 250 and gradually upgrade from there. Don't worry about the depreciation of 250s as they always carry good resale value due to high consumer demands. Also, insurance is a lot cheaper compared to a larger cc bike and since you're a new rider; its better to wreck a cheap 250 than an expensive 600 or the latter. As for CBR250R (fuel injection) or Ninja 250 (carburetor); sit on both bikes and see which one feels more comfortable to you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So after taking some time today and think things through I have decided on a 250. I am leaning heavily toward the Ninja at the moment, it is just closer to the super sports and that is eventually what I am aiming for. I am not looking at this bike as a daily or for economical reasons or gas mileage (lets face it both bikes destroy my Tacoma in gas mileage, even with me being easy on it). If I knew that I eventually would have 2 bikes I would get the Honda, maybe.

Honestly it is a toss up, I saw the tri color today and boy does it just kick butt in the sunshine in person. However the dealership is really inflexible with financing and were just very stand offish and I am very worried about the all important first tune up. Where as the Kawi dealer is pretty well known and respected around here, even their service department.

I am not too worried about the carb as it will be parked in a heated garage all year round. Now I just need to find my condo association paperwork to double check there isnt some stupid rule against having a motorcycle in the garage. Kinda odd no one in the building has a motorcycle.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Honestly it is a toss up, I saw the tri color today and boy does it just kick butt in the sunshine in person...
That's somewhat of a paradox here in the southeast. You can't beg, borrow, or steal a black, or red/silver (and forget about ABS), without a pre-order, but all the dealers have at least one tri-color sitting on their floor.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
So after taking some time today and think things through I have decided on a 250. I am leaning heavily toward the Ninja at the moment, it is just closer to the super sports and that is eventually what I am aiming for. I am not looking at this bike as a daily or for economical reasons or gas mileage (lets face it both bikes destroy my Tacoma in gas mileage, even with me being easy on it). If I knew that I eventually would have 2 bikes I would get the Honda, maybe.

Honestly it is a toss up, I saw the tri color today and boy does it just kick butt in the sunshine in person. However the dealership is really inflexible with financing and were just very stand offish and I am very worried about the all important first tune up. Where as the Kawi dealer is pretty well known and respected around here, even their service department.

I am not too worried about the carb as it will be parked in a heated garage all year round. Now I just need to find my condo association paperwork to double check there isnt some stupid rule against having a motorcycle in the garage. Kinda odd no one in the building has a motorcycle.
These bikes are too close to call in all reality. I LOVE my CBR and the fuel injection is a MAJOR plus. Keep in mind anything HONDA always keeps it's value. The Ninja does not fair nearly as well in resale value.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts