Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
1,001 Posts
Just got the bike running after some other issues and there is a metallic noise from the right side of the engine it sounds like. Almost like a ratting chain. 12k miles on the bike

Engine noise 2012 cbr250r

I am not sure if it is caused by the tensioner or the piston.
Hi, thanks for the video. It's hard to guess from the video. The classic problem is usually in the **TENSIONER LIFTER 14520-KYJ-901(LINK to Partzilla). If you have not yet replaced the tensioner, you may want to replace it now.

**It is recommended to replace it every 20-25k Km.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks for the video. It's hard to guess from the video. The classic problem is usually in the TENSIONER LIFTER 14520-KYJ-901(LINK to Partzilla). If you have not yet replaced the tensioner, you may want to replace it now.
I’ll swap that out thanks. When I took it out it turned fine with a screwdriver and shot back when I released it but maybe it’s doesn’t have enough pressure. Sounds like it’s coming more from the crank the more I listen to it but I may be wrong. It’s starting to die out if I blip the throttle in idle but holds idle fine as well as higher revs. Will see how it is with a new tensioner.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I’ll swap that out thanks. When I took it out it turned fine with a screwdriver and shot back when I released it but maybe it’s doesn’t have enough pressure. Sounds like it’s coming more from the crank the more I listen to it but I may be wrong. It’s starting to die out if I blip the throttle in idle but holds idle fine as well as higher revs. Will see how it is with a new tensioner.
Till this days I can not understand why the chain tensioner should be replaced. The spring is strong enough, and you checked too, it is OK for you as well. The spring closes all the free plays. The lock is formed from the climb of the screw thread. There is nothing to wear the climbing angle that locking the screw. For me at the moment there is no explanation for way i replace it, other than the fact that it has been found to be effective (may be a psychological effect?) The facts I know: When people(me too) replace the chain tensioner, they stop hearing the chain noises, or it reduce the noise of the valves ticking. Less noise, less abrasion, more engine life.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Till this days I can not understand why the chain tensioner should be replaced. The spring is strong enough, and you checked too, it is OK for you as well. The spring closes all the free plays. The lock is formed from the climb of the screw thread. There is nothing to wear the climbing angle that locking the screw. For me at the moment there is no explanation for way i replace it, other than the fact that it has been found to be effective (may be a psychological effect?) The facts I know: When people replace the chain tensioner, they stop hearing the chain noises, or it reduce the noise of the valves ticking. Less noise, less abrasion, more engine life.
Lol that’s a good enough reason for me. Will update when the new one comes in. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
The Chinese cost less than half (including shipping), also weigh less, meaning less metal and therefore weaker, the quality is lower in the other parameters as well, but hey, in my impression it is good enough to do the job properly. Do I replace the tensioner when I do not need to replace it? It is difficult for me to answer the question. I change every 20-25k Km. In the chart of measurements, the measurements in parentheses are of the Chinese tensioner (The rest of the dimensions are the same):
Handwriting Rectangle Font Line Material property
Wood Font Screenshot Electronic device Rectangle
Cosmetics Gas Auto part Font Camera accessory

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Chinese cost less than half (including shipping), also weigh less, meaning less metal and therefore weaker, the quality is lower in the other parameters as well, but hey, in my impression it is good enough to do the job properly. Do I replace the tensioner when I do not need to replace it? It is difficult for me to answer the question. I change every 20-25k Km. In the chart of measurements, the measurements in parentheses are of the Chinese tensioner (The rest of the dimensions are the same):
View attachment 45372 View attachment 45373 View attachment 45375
I got the replacement oem Honda tensioner in the bike now and the noise it gone, thank you for the help

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I got the replacement oem Honda tensioner in the bike now and the noise it gone, thank you for the help
OK
But I think it's completely psychological.
  • Do you hear the noise of the rattling (REED VALVE 18601-KEA-741)?
  • Do you hear the ticking of the valves?
  • Can you hear the noise of the brake pads on the front disc?
These are all NORMAL background noises that are usually weaker than the tire noise, wind noise, or exhaust noise, but they do exist.

There are those who take off the REED Valve to cancel the rattaling (and are willing to give up a slight decrease in power).

In this method it is possible to disassemble all the moving assemblies on the motorcycle, also the tires, then move to riding on Aladdin's carpet and even then it will not be quiet because the wind. And we will take out the wind and without air we will die, and then it will be quiet. At least that's what we're told, I'm not there yet to check it out.

Those who amplifying the exhaust noise does not suffer from the other background noises.
And those who ride a lot are advised to wear earplugs, because wind noise destroys hearing, slowly but consistently. Maybe you order for yourself an earplugs, many of us have already done so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK
But I think it's completely psychological.
  • Do you hear the noise of the rattling (REED VALVE 18601-KEA-741)?
  • Do you hear the ticking of the valves?
  • Can you hear the noise of the brake pads on the front disc?
These are all NORMAL background noises that are usually weaker than the tire noise, wind noise, or exhaust noise, but they do exist.

There are those who take off the REED Valve to cancel the rattaling (and are willing to give up a slight decrease in power).

In this method it is possible to disassemble all the moving assemblies on the motorcycle, also the tires, then move to riding on Aladdin's carpet and even then it will not be quiet because the wind. And we will take out the wind and without air we will die, and then it will be quiet. At least that's what we're told, I'm not there yet to check it out.

Those who amplifying the exhaust noise does not suffer from the other background noises.
And those who ride a lot are advised to wear earplugs, because wind noise destroys hearing, slowly but consistently. Maybe you order for yourself an earplugs, many of us have already done so.
I wasn't aware about the reed valve will look into that. Definitely a noisy little motor. The noise is not psychological though, there is an absolute difference. Like night and day when I get my ear up to it.
New tensioner installed- Cbr250r update, new cam tensioner, rattling gone
Old tensioner- Engine noise 2012 cbr250r
All in all, glad its gone and didn't require a rebuild.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
As I wrote to you in the opening thread:
thanks for the video. It's hard to guess from the video.
Thank you so much for investing in the video!
You shoot in two different places, so the echo is different, and also in my opinion the RPM is different (hot engine versus cold engine?), and the background noises exist and they are in my opinion of the same type only at a different frequency.

When I say "psychological problem" I do not mean to offend, it happens to all of us, or at least to most of us. You'll get to the moment when you hear the other noises I mentioned.
But then please remember to smile and not get stressed;)

It's like being in a studio room, a "quiet room," and then suddenly you hear the blood flowing in your body and other body noises you did not know that existed, and it can be stressful. What luck that the human ear hears only some of the frequencies.
I wasn't aware about the reed valve will look into that.
They are easy to hear in the 5000-6000 rpm range at a cruising speed of 90 km/h on fifth or sixth gear.

All in all, glad its gone and didn't require a rebuild.
Yap. Like all living things, like humans, when we stop producing noise it's not good, I hope you get used to all the happy noises of our engine, and sometimes let it scream the way it likes.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Definitely a noisy little motor.
:ROFLMAO:(y):giggle::coffee:Maybe a small engine, but a naughty engine.
This only happens because its original exhaust is very quiet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As I wrote to you in the opening thread:

Thank you so much for investing in the video!
You shoot in two different places, so the echo is different, and also in my opinion the RPM is different (hot engine versus cold engine?), and the background noises exist and they are in my opinion of the same type only at a different frequency.

When I say "psychological problem" I do not mean to offend, it happens to all of us, or at least to most of us. You'll get to the moment when you hear the other noises I mentioned.
But then please remember to smile and not get stressed;)
Not offended, definitely know what you mean though about the noises. Whenever I do engine work on my cars I question if some of the noises were there before I started working on it. The old video was with the bike warmed up, and the latter being a cold start. Will take it out tomorrow and see how it does.

·
Registered
96 Posts
View attachment 45372 View attachment 45373 View attachment 45375
The point is whether these Chinese can work properly and whether their working period is short or long?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts