Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow CBR owner's, I need your insights and suggestions on this one.

Few of you must be already facing this, here goes:

After 8000kms on my odometer I started getting a distinct metallic noise like that of a woman's anklets.
Its present at all rpm's. As the time for which the bike was running increases the noise also increases.

I did consult the SVC guys on this issue. But they tell all CBR's have this sound and its perfectly OKAY..!!!

But now I can no more bear that sound... Its very distracting.
I did check other CBR's and they did have. But the bikes that clocked fewer kms on the odo had no noise.

Do any of you have why that noise and how to get rid of it?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Might need a valve adjustment, but yes, these thumpers are a bit noisy. Some people have cured the so-called "rattle" by tightening fairings, padding the space behind the headlight, the washers behind the cotter pins on the foot rests, and valve adjustments. It seems subjective and vague, but no one seems to have had any negative consequences from it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It could be your chain needs adjusting or cleaned and lubed. It should be cleaned and lubed every 800 km / 500 mi. The chain always makes a sound but much more so when dirty and dry.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
if its been 8000km without the metalic noise
which has started now at all revs, it cant be
'normal engine noise' which doesnt just
start at 8000km for no reason..

aside from expert diagnosis, it wouldnt hurt to
check accessible fasteners etc for looseness
as members note.. checking screws, nuts etc
for security cant do any harm and might
reveal something loose..
this should be considered ongoing maintenance
for any motorcycle, especially a single..
also check for anything loose under the seat etc..

if it happens while idling, after starting it let it idle
in neutral on the sidestand as you go around listening
for the source, of any sounds..
us something like a long screwdriver as a stethyscope
placing the handle end to your ear and the blade end
on various parts of the engine, listening for engine
noises, thus identifying normal sounds and maybe
locating the source of any unusual noise..

this will give you a better idea of whats normal
anyway, and may give you a clue as to whats
happening in there.. if you do id some sound
that seems different, thats a good start for
a mechanic to check..

bank angle sensors can make noises..
presumably youve checked oil levels etc..

·
Registered
617 Posts
After 6200 miles / 10000km mine has no such sounds or noises, and nothing has changed, it still runs perfectly and starts instantly.
One thing, I do not use synthetic oil or ultra thin mineral oil.

IR

·
Registered
85 Posts
I wear a piss pot helmet for round town. the engine noise is horrible around 5000 rpm.
went to the honda dealership and best he offered was an oil change.
with an open faced lid its sounds very bad

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
If it sounds that bad I would definitely look into what the source is. We wouldn't want something falling off when you're riding...:eek:

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
the worst sound you hear with an open face helmet
is your lower mandible snapping when it hits the road..
somewhat drowned out by fractures of cheekbone
and eye orbit..

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Just open the visor man! :) Or get a modular helmet; that's what I have. I can flip the whole front open while sitting if I want, then close it when I go. Also makes taking the helmet off and putting it back on a breeze.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Wearing a helmet that doesn't offer the best protection possible would make sense only if we could choose when and where we were gonna crash...It's kinda like the guy who heard most crashes happened within 5 miles of home...so he moved...

·
Registered
1,109 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Metallic Sound

After 8000kms on my odometer I started getting a distinct metallic noise like that of a woman's anklets.
Its present at all rpm's. As the time for which the bike was running increases the noise also increases.

I did consult the SVC guys on this issue. But they tell all CBR's have this sound and its perfectly OKAY..!!!

I did check other CBR's and they did have. But the bikes that clocked fewer kms on the odo had no noise.

Hi, I also had a similiar sound. I changed my fuel to premium and the sound completeley dissappeared.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Yup better to sweat then to bleed.

Anyways back to subject, certain gas stations i notice pings/metallic sound above 5000 rpms.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
I've used the same fuel (91RON), and in the past 11,000km I've ridden, at 5500rpm there is a noticable "bb in a can" noise.

95RON, 98RON doesn't help.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi,
Did you identified the exact issue? Mine have this similar sound, I am confused, it's from somewhere inside fairings or cylinder.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts