Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone try these? They don't make a 140/70/17, but they do make a 150. No problem for the 110/70/17 on the front.

This is a dual-compound tire, supposed to wear more evenly due to a harder compound in the center than on the sides. The theory is a longer life while still maintaining traction in the corners.

I'm getting toward tire replacement time, so I'm starting to do the research...

Luke

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I bought a Michelin Pilot Activ rear as a replacement for my current rear with a nail in it.

I've put off putting on the new tire as my patch is working pretty well.

I read some pretty decent stuff about them. I've also read good things about the pilot roads as well.

How long are the BT-023 and the Roadsmart tires supposed to last?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had them on my Triumph Daytona, I put 12K miles on the rear and had 18K on the front when I totaled the bike, I would say the tire had about 2K miles left before it needed to be replaced.

Great tires, handled well, only issue is they don't come in the right size for the CBR.

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
I saw those too when I was looking around to see who made what that would fit the CBR. The last set of street tires I bought were Metzler ME33 for my '85 RZ350, back in the day. Although I have zero knowledge of Michelin M/C road tires, I have been using their T-63 dual sport tires on my XR650L, and I've got a set of AC-10 Dual sport's on the XR400R. All I can really say is that their D/S tires work well, as advertised. The T-63's are surprisingly good on the pavement, considering how well they perform off road. Michelin are top shelf tires... are they better or worse than something else? Wouldn't it be great to have a pile of money to buy a pile of tires and wheels and do some testing... I'd stand in line for that.

Anyway... back to the Pilot Road 2. Take this for what its worth, which is really next to nothing, But I'm thinking the Michelin's are what I'll put on my bike. I'm entertaining the idea of changing the IRC's out while they are basically new, and save them for resale. While tires in general have evolved over the years in terms of construction and performance, I would think that it still holds true that the single biggest performance improvement to a bike, is had with top shelf tires. The second item on the list is brakes, to take advantage of the improved grip of the new tires. From what I've been reading on some of the threads about the (censored) stock brakes on the CBR, it only makes sense that some quality pads would be part of a tire upgrade. Not to paint with a broad brush here, but I think too often the "stopping and sticking" ability of a new bike is overlooked in favor of the "go faster with more power and speed" modifications. One thing that has not changed over the years is what all racers know and practice... "To Go Faster, Brake Harder".

I've found that tire prices, like everything else out there for sale on the internet, are all over the place. I've paid $55.00 to $65.00 for tires that others are selling for $85.00 to $95.00... for the identical tire. Same is true for Honda OEM parts.

Anyone know of a reason a 150 won't fit the CBR swingarm?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Okay, gather round chillin' and I'll educate you on PR2's, PR3's and RoadCraps.. er I mean Roadsmarts.

My touring bike is a big heavy honkin' ***** with 145hp that was basically designed to EAT TIRES. No joke. It's not uncommon for these bikes to annihilate a set of regular 'sport bike' tires in 3500-5000 miles. In fact, these bikes appetite is so voracious that in doing a cost per mile analysis. It's easily possible to spend MORE per mile on tires than gas!

Got it? Tire eater supreme!

First, Dunshit RoadSmarts: I put a set of these on in Princeton VA after my Avons started showing cords during a bike rally in the Mountains. They felt AWESOME when new. Very fast turn in, great traction. They rode like Fred Flintstones tires. Hard as rocks. I felt every little squirrel turd I ran over. 3500 miles later I was in *LOVE* with the back tire. It was wearing well (not great, but better than a single compound). The front was an absolute pile of moist ass cheese. It was TOAST at that mileage. Worse, it wore funky. It cupped badly and had a *RAISED* band around the center of the tire (right where it should be worn down the most). It degraded fast. So much so that at 3500 miles the handling could only be described as squirrely. Never again. Everybody else who tried them reported the exact same thing.

Bridgestone BT-023's: Good tire but not fantastic. Neutral handling, wears okay (15,000km on the FJR). If you get a good price, not a bad choice. My rear tire required a lot of weight to balance. The front was good. Acceptable in the wet but breaks away without warning.

Michelin Pilot Powers: Awesome handling, good stick, good turn in, nice and neutral. 10000km and they were down to the chords. On a light, low hp bike like the CBR. Might be a great choice.

Michelin PR2's: My goto tire for the last 2 years. Great handling characteristics just like the PP's. Even wear but are prone to cupping when underinflated. The best part, is the longevity. I'm changing my current PR2's tomorrow for a set of PR3's. The rear has over *25000km* on it and still has about a mm above the wear bars. The front is still going strong with with about half it's tread depth after 12000km. The only reason I'm swapping the tires tomorrow is because I'm running down to SE Ohio next week for a weekend of twisties. Excellent, nay, fantastic wet grip as well. Rides very well even over-inflated 5-7lbs (we have to do that on the FJR to keep them from cupping). You can do *MUCH MUCH* worse, but not much better. Can you tell I love these tires? Reasonable price too.

Michelin PR3's. Never run them, but I'm spooning a set on as replacements for my PR2's tomorrow. That being said, everyone who previously ran PR2's say the PR3's are even better and longer wearing with even better wet weather grip. I'm thinking they'd be overkill on the CBR. But if you want the best (a set for my FJR is $40 more expensive than the PR2's).

Other tires I've run. Metzler ME880 (good on a cruiser, not so hot the FJR), very hard tire even when new. Should be good for mileage. Only fair in handling and traction. Metzler Z6. About equivalent to the BT023. They have a new Z8 out now. The jury is still out on that one - I haven't run them. Shinko. If your going to ride around the world this is your tire. Extremely hard, cheap and long wearing. Expect to low side with even moderate cornering.

So there you have it.

In order of preference:

Michelin PR3's.
Michelin PR2's.
Bridgestone BT023's
Michelin PP's
Any standard sport bike tire (Pirelli/Conti/Avon etc)
A tire off a tractor
A tire made of green wood.
A tire carved from granite
Dunlop Roadsmarts (a few guys WILL use the back, but use another brand on the front)

When the CBR needs tires, I'll give the nod to the PR2's if they're still available, otherwise, PR3's.

Oh, for reference to my 'merican friends.

3500km = 2200 miles
5000km = 3100 miles
7500km = 4600 miles
10000km = 6200 miles
15000km = 9300 miles
25000km = 15500 miles.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
It's 'Murican. :p

Thanks for the input. I'm going to see how these Pilot Activs wear, then look to see about putting something else on.

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
I ordered up a set of Michelin PR 2's today. Swing arm clearance should not be an issue with the 150 rear. The wheels will get a few coats of white paint, to tie the whole White/ Blue/Red/Gold look together.

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
What about Metzeler Lasertech?
The Metzeler Lasertec is a Bias ply tire, not a radial.The IRC tire which is OEM for the CBR250R, is a Radial tire. Metzeler tires, generally speaking are very good. They are also very expensive. The Lasertec is not comparable to the Michelin Pilot Road 2 in terms of performance, speed rating etc. despite that the Metzeler costs more. Hands down the Pilot Road 2 is a superior tire.

The Michelin Pilot Road 2 is clearly, a better way forward.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Anyone have any experience with the Pirelli Sport Demons? The reviews I've seen are all positive, price is good, and the cbr 110/70 and 140/70 sizes are available...

·
Registered
206 Posts
I know this is kind of an open end question but how many miles are most riders getting on stock tires before they need to replace them. I am not talking track crazy days but just commuting.

·
Registered
534 Posts
From what I've seen on here I think around 8-10,000 miles seems about the norm for the IRC's. I can't say personally because I'm at 1,400 miles.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
From what I've seen on here I think around 8-10,000 miles seems about the norm for the IRC's. I can't say personally because I'm at 1,400 miles.
is it the depth remaining in the tread like a car tire (stick a penny top down into tread..if you see top of Lincolns head..time for a new tire?) how do you know when its time for one..you know, besides when its obvious?

·
Registered
43 Posts
The Metzeler Lasertec is a Bias ply tire, not a radial.The IRC tire which is OEM for the CBR250R, is a Radial tire.
My IRC tires are bias-ply, and bias-ply tires are recommended in my User's Manual.

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
My IRC tires are bias-ply, and bias-ply tires are recommended in my User's Manual.
You're correct, they are bias-ply... I wrote that based on what Honda was stating on their website at the time, that they were radials. Since then I realized they were bias-ply when I was looking at available tires on one of the aftermarket websites. I also noticed that the aftermarket IRC Road Winners have a higher speed rating than the ones Honda supplied on the bike as stock. I'm guessing that Honda specified the lower speed rating to get the lowest possible price for the production run.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Anyone try these? They don't make a 140/70/17, but they do make a 150. No problem for the 110/70/17 on the front.

This is a dual-compound tire, supposed to wear more evenly due to a harder compound in the center than on the sides. The theory is a longer life while still maintaining traction in the corners.

I'm getting toward tire replacement time, so I'm starting to do the research...

Luke
Hi Luke, If you look at the Motorcycle Superstore web site, they offer a both 110/70 X 17 & the rear 140/70 X 17 in "H" rated tires...the catch...they are out of stock. Must be a heck of alot of CBR250r's around wearing out tires. Anyway it's been my experience with that company, they will notify you when things are back in their inventory, by email, if you ask for it. minzRedWhtBlu250too

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am referring to the Michelin Pilot Active tires... When I get to the point where I need new tires...I will surely purchase the this Michelin tire. Regards, minzRedWhtBlu250too

1 - 20 of 20 Posts