Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
the (well/recessed hole part) goes on the bottom, with the (well-recessed hole) part facing up..this just like your oem mirror stem base..it hides the bolt head flush or slightly recessed...It was more trouble than it was worth to me to try to save the bolts...easier to snap the fragile head off and just buy 2 new ones..Ace Hardware..97cents apiece
......glad to hear you had better luck than me getting them free...like the bar end screws..I have heard different people say it was easy to break loose and some say near impossible..may depend on the dose of loctite the worker on the production line decided to give your bolt or screw at that particular time.

My only complaint so far is vibration revving up thru gears and at interstate speeds..but not enough that you still cant see whats coming up behind you...I will take that bit of vibration for the awesome line of sight I have behind me now anyday

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Nevermind. I didn't realize that the mount had an orientation.
once I turned the mount around everything made sense.
I was speaking of the OEM mount that goes against the fairing.
I thought it did not matter which way it went, but it is definitely made to only go one way (if you want your mirrors positioned properly, anyway!).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
ahhhh..yes...that would throw the mirror way off kilter by turning THAT mount the wrong way...I only took one mirror off at a time so I was able to glance over at the other one to be sure of the mount orientation just prior to bolting everything back on

·
Registered
501 Posts
Thanks. For some reason yesterday, that was not indicating it was a link when I hovered over it with the cursor.

For all the methods I've heard so far to remove the stubborn bolts, I haven't heard mention the use of an impact driver. Is that because nobody had one, or because using one on an allen head bolt is too risky, and might bugger it up? I have a Ryobi 3/8" cordless impact driver and allen socket. Should I use it, or approach it with more finesse?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Thanks. For some reason yesterday, that was not indicating it was a link when I hovered over it with the cursor.

For all the methods I've heard so far to remove the stubborn bolts, I haven't heard mention the use of an impact driver. Is that because nobody had one, or because using one on an allen head bolt is too risky, and might bugger it up? I have a Ryobi 3/8" cordless impact driver and allen socket. Should I use it, or approach it with more finesse?
You can use it if you want to, but I would have new screws ready to replace them when you twist the heads off.

Heat on both ends of the screw (I bought one of those neat pencil torches at Harbor Freight the other day!), valve grinding compound on the tip of the tool and some slow, heavy human torque with a long (for leverage) breaker bar is my recommendation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For those of you who might be new to riding [and if your on a CBR250R you might be :)] here is a quick explanation of what mirror extenders do:
Motorcycle Mirror Extenders - Overview
Even down the line if you upgrade to a bigger bike (I got my self a cruiser) this "blocked view" problem happens on all sort of bikes so don't feel like it is specific to CBR 250 only.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I ordered these from Amazon:
8mm 8 mm CNC Mirror Riser Extender Adapter Motorcycle
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008TWZSQM

They are a bit shinier than the stock mirror stalks.
The included hardware is silver.

I bought 4 black cap screws from Home Depot, size M8-1.25x25mm.
Two screws were to replace the stock CBR screws which are easy to mangle when removing them.
I used the original washers in the stalk to extension connection.
I couldn't get black washers for the extension to mirror mount connection, used silver ones painted black with a marker.
Also used Permatex blue to keep the screws from loosening.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
The original ebay links were broken for me, here are some more current ones. I am going to try this mod as well.

Banggood has them for $10
M8 8mm CNC Motorcycle Handlebar Mount Mirror Riser Extender Adaptor Adapter Sale - Banggood.com

Ebay has them for $8 or $18.
Pair CNC 8mm Motorcycle motorbike Mirror Riser Extender Adaptor Adapter Mounts | eBay
M8 8mm CNC Motorcycle Handlebar Mount Mirror Riser Extender Adaptor Adapter | eBay

Ebay US seller has them for $24
8mm 8 mm CNC Mirror Riser Extender Adapter Motorcycle | eBay

I ordered the ones from banggood because they were the first ones I found and have always had good experience with them. Will let you know how it turns out.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts