Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it is hard to see behind the bike with the mirrors. I am concerned if someone is following even a reasonable distance behind the mirror is either aimed too far off to the side or my arm blocks the view, either way I cant see right behind the bike.

I'm sure its a newbie thing.

Comments and suggestions are welcome, anyone???

BTW, for all you just starting out, try scooting back on the seat a bit, much more comfortable.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
The cbr mirrors suck the big one, remind me of insect antennae. Looking to replace them one day. They give a perfect view of ones shoulder/armpit area, which encourages the most excellent habit of shoulder checking....remember BLINDSPOTS!!

·
Registered
427 Posts
This isn't just a problem with the CBR, nearly every 'sportbike' styled bike suffers from this.

You should be turning your head regardless. Never, ever, NEVER, EVER trust your mirrors.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I learned real fast that I could position the mirrors to see whats coming up beside me..or position them to see whats behind me..but not both...I even tried those little stick on convex mirrors but scraped them off within a few hours

I figure i can easily turn my head to see beside me so seeing behind me was my priority (several weeks ago a driver almost ran me down from behind, if not for seeing him coming in my mirror and me hitting the accelerator just when i did..i'd have been sent flying)....

the trick is to pull the mirror bars closer towards you a little bit...i first tried pushing them farther out to get a wider view...didnt work plus it looked weird when veiwing the bike from the front at an angle...then i realized a little closer in was better than farther out.....

then the second thing is turn the mirrors towards you also till you have a very good look at your arm..in fact your arm will take up half the mirror, but the other half, the outside half is the road behind you ....both directly behind you and far away behind you...after 6 weeks with my mirrors adjusted this way I dont even pay any attention to my arm anymore but i have a really good view behind me at all times

unfortunetly that is about as good as it gets....but i am just happy to have finally found a way to see in my rear

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Yes, it is a newbie thing.

Adjust the mirrors to best suit your situation..... In town, open road, motorway, with a pillion, I make a change for each. It only takes a moment.

You do need to move around a bit to get the view you want. Remember to do that glance over your shoulder when you are about to change direction or change lanes; it could be a life saver.

Use your ears too.

Ditch ideas of iPods, iPhones, Bluetooth communications and the like. They limit you hearing what is going on around you, and sap your concentration as well. They are killers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
These Honda style stalk mirrors offer the best visibility of any sport bike by far. Some people don't like the look of the stalks. I see beauty in the function. They are wider and higher and offer a bigger viewing area than other sport bikes for a better view of something besides your elbow.
+1
Sendler is right

·
Registered
152 Posts
Everyone has different comfort levels with mirrors. It's not necessarily a 'newbie' thing, but it is true that the CBR has better than most in the 'Sport bike' category.

That said, many sport bikes have 'extenders' offered for mirrors that are essentially adapters that lengthen the stems. For safety, more is generally better (e.g., if you can see both beside and behind you, that's a good thing). I tend to prefer the latter if it's a matter of selecting, b/c it's easier to look beside you for lane changes than it is to 'bobble-head' at stops to make sure you're not about to be rear-ended. :cool:

Here's an example of the extenders available for the SV650S (so, once something is available for the CBR, it should look similar):

TwistedThrottle.com : SW-MOTECH mirror wideners (Suzuki GS500F, Bandit 650S/1200S/1250S '06-, GSXR600/750/1000, SV650/1000, & Kawasaki ZX10R, '04- / ZX6R, '05- / ZX6RR, '05 - SVL.05.500.100

In this instance, an inch or so makes a big difference (yeah, I know, "that's what she said"). :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've always been bothered by my inability to spot police cars in my motorcycle rear view mirrors.

My guess is that the only solution would be a combination of a rear facing video camera with computer run target identification software. Maybe next year.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I learned real fast that I could position the mirrors to see whats coming up beside me..or position them to see whats behind me..but not both...I even tried those little stick on convex mirrors but scraped them off within a few hours

I figure i can easily turn my head to see beside me so seeing behind me was my priority (several weeks ago a driver almost ran me down from behind, if not for seeing him coming in my mirror and me hitting the accelerator just when i did..i'd have been sent flying)....

the trick is to pull the mirror bars closer towards you a little bit...i first tried pushing them farther out to get a wider view...didnt work plus it looked weird when veiwing the bike from the front at an angle...then i realized a little closer in was better than farther out.....

then the second thing is turn the mirrors towards you also till you have a very good look at your arm..in fact your arm will take up half the mirror, but the other half, the outside half is the road behind you ....both directly behind you and far away behind you...after 6 weeks with my mirrors adjusted this way I dont even pay any attention to my arm anymore but i have a really good view behind me at all times

unfortunetly that is about as good as it gets....but i am just happy to have finally found a way to see in my rear
Hmm... I did just the opposite. I pushed the mirrors as far out as I could and even though the bike looks retarded (and I mean stupid retarded) I can see very well out of them. I've been riding with them in that position for about 2 months now and I'm very happy with the visibility. Of course, I still turn my head when lane changing and stuff though, better safe than sorry!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
You should be turning your head regardless. Never, ever, NEVER, EVER trust your mirrors.
"The phrase "Objects in [the] mirror are closer than they appear" is a safety warning that is required to be engraved on passenger side mirrors of motor vehicles in the USA, Canada and Australia. It is present because while these mirrors' convexity gives them a useful field of view, it also makes objects appear smaller. Since smaller-appearing objects seem farther away than they actually are, a driver might make a maneuver such as a lane change assuming an adjacent vehicle is a safe distance behind, when in fact it is quite a bit closer. The warning serves as a reminder to the driver of this potential problem."

mirrors lie.dont trust them !:)

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Ummmm... why would anyone want to change the cbr's mirrors?

they are the best mirrors of any bike Ive ridden seen this side of a Triumph Sprint.

Adjust the arms parallel and outwards, loctite the 2 mounting bolts on each one (not the pivot ones) and they are perfect.

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
I have adjusted mine so my elbows take up about a quarter of the reflected image in the mirrors. This gives me an excellent view of what is in either lane beside me and I just have to tuck in my elbow to see who is behind me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts