Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I bought a CBR250r as my first bike, read a lot from these forums to determine its suitability, and loved it. Note the past tense.

Last week Tuesday I was riding to work and went to downshift from 3rd to 1st. Made it to 2nd and it would not shift down. I took off from 2nd anyway when light was green and when I got to work shifted down to 1st just fine.

Since then the bike's downshifting has gotten worse. Tried to drop it to 1st from 6th and it would not pass 5th.

I have tried several way around this, from shifting down 6th-5th-4th etc but it usually stops at 5th for a bit then after I try a little bit later goes to 4th and repeat to 1st. I tried letting up on the clutch but didn't work. When stopped I tried rocking it but didn't work.

Brought bike to dealership and they looked at the clutch and tuned it and said it works fine. Rode off the lot and it didn't downshift. I'm busy at work but plan to bring it back in to them ASAP.

Before I bring it back I'd like to know if anyone else has had this issue and what was done to resolve it. I plan on it being used as my wife's starter bike too and would prefer she not have a bad bike.

Thanks!

·
Registered
706 Posts
You can't shift a motorcycle at a stop, you have to be moving. It's not the same as a cars transmission.

·
Registered
706 Posts
much more mountain bike then car...
Nah, I wouldn't go that far. But it's a sequential gear box and it doesn't use the traditional synchromesh that a cars manual transmission would.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My problem also occurs when I'm driving and attempt to downshift past more than 1 gear at a time. Is this normal? As I initially stated it is a new problem I'm having.

·
1,305 Posts
Nah, I wouldn't go that far. But it's a sequential gear box and it doesn't use the traditional synchromesh that a cars manual transmission would.

still, uses a chain.... and requires forward motion to change gear.
i wasn't comparing the actually transmission

·
Registered
706 Posts
My problem also occurs when I'm driving and attempt to downshift past more than 1 gear at a time. Is this normal? As I initially stated it is a new problem I'm having.
Have you been trying to shift at a stop a lot? Could have bent something if so. Dealer should have been able to find that though.

·
Registered
254 Posts
mine does something similar if i ride fast and come to a stop sudden. I can not shift it in to first unless i rev it and let go of the clutch... Its weird...

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
It is not weird; it is a minimal motorcycle transmission. Honda's Rebel is notorious for being difficult to get into 1st once the bike is stopped.

You need to move (roll) the bike a little as you press down on the shift lever.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll be riding it tomorrow to work, today was not an ideal day, so I'll update this thread if the issue is any worse or better.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Don't go through two gears like that. As you slow down, let out the clutch in each gear.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My shift lever was catching on a bit of the kickstand and blocking downshifts. Bent it a bit and all has been copacetic.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
167 Posts
3 things to check

check ur engine oil and make sure the viscosity nt lost.
I Insist using honda grade-golden pack oil-10/30
and putting the bike in paddock stand,check oil level is in exact middle of the glass window (after idiling engine about 30 seconds) at right side

lube and clean shift linkage for dirt,or debries inside spring

check for any bend in linkage or any messing around with side stand-and the curved part of stand.

If any bend,replace the part.so cheap here

if any linking with side stand ring part,goto a mechanic and make the ring smaller

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didn't get to ride to work this morning so its very cold. I'm going to try the steps outlined here and see if they work. I have tried letting the clutch out between shifts but still get the issue. Usually I have to wait like 10 seconds until I can shift again which is awfully long.

It has been windy so I'll check the linkage and see if its dirty. I'll do the oil check this weekend before I wax the bike.

Thanks for the assistance so far, I really like the bike but I do not like the problems I'm having.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Do you have a friend with some riding experience that can give it a try? Didn't the mechanic take it for a ride when they had it in the shop?

It could be something as simple as the clutch cable adjustment or sticky shift linkage.

Having to wait 10 seconds to shift doesn't make sense. That could suggest the clutch is not fully disengaging/cable not adjusted.

Jay

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When they first played with the adjustment it shifted up and down pretty easy but after a 10 mile ride it started to stick again. Right now I'm leaning in it being my error, though it is a recent issue, but if it persists or worsens I'll have to get the dealer to work it.

I do think that the wind knocked it over could have caused it. The clutch lever is bent a little but the dealership said that should not be an issue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I guess I missed the knocked-over part.

Any chance it bent the shifter linkage?

Jay

Initially it was bent in but I unbent it and the dealership straightened it. Something might have got knocked loose inside, I really don't know. I know cars but I just started riding so I don't know bikes just yet.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Initially it was bent in but I unbent it and the dealership straightened it. Something might have got knocked loose inside, I really don't know. I know cars but I just started riding so I don't know bikes just yet.
You're taking advice and learning, everyone has to start somewhere hehe. Honestly last May I didn't know much about bikes... I've been working on cars since I was 16 but they are a different animal. It's a quick learn though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts