Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may have been a topic already but I can't find it so I'm starting a new one. Basically, it's just as the title says. Share you're most embarrassing moments with the community. I'll start off.

So basically, I'm a new rider. I classify myself as such because I had never owned my own bike until this passed week when I bought my first bike. The Honda cbr250r. Granted, I've ridden around on my friend's bikes (suzuki gs500 and honda cbr600rr repsol) every now and then but never enough where the experience really grew into a skill. Now, I had been practicing on my own since I got the bike and felt that I had enough practice to finally take the bike into traffic. Just to get some gas of course :). So I get'r going, I'm hitting up to 4th gear, I'm engine braking, I'm constantly scanning, pretty much everything is going smooth. As I'm heading back home I pull up to a stop light, literally the last stop light before I get to my house when 3 cops pull up behind me. I start sweating, PROFUSELY. I have my permit and am riding legally so I wasn't nervous about that. What made me nervous was that I wasn't 100% on my take offs and would sometimes stall out. What made it worse was that I was in the "front of the pack" so to speak so all the other drivers and pedestrians, from what I could see, were looking at me. I took a deep breath, the light turned green.....aaaaand I stall out. I try again, stall. Give it more gas, stall. Start up the engine, slowly release the clutch while applying throttle...rrrrrrr *click*...STALL. By this time I'm in the middle of the intersection, people are either laughing or giving me bad looks like I'm the worst actor in some stupid play. *Sigh.* After, what seemed to be the longest 20 seconds of my life, one of the cops pulls me over to see if I had a license. He was extremely cool and just wanted to know why I was being such a noob. Turns out he has a yamaha r1 so he gave me some pointers on how to take off and sent me on my way. As he got back in his patrol car I started the bike, shifted into 1st and took off like a pro. As I rode home I just kept chuckling and shaking my head.

That my friends, was a moment I'm probably going to keep with me for the rest of life. lol

Ride Safe Everyone.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Cops show up at the darndest moments. Better spend some more time in the parking lot before you get back on the road very much. But don't fry the clutch from practicing just take offs for an hour. Find some instruction. Maybe someone at the dealer would be willing to help if you can't get into a course.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Better spend some more time in the parking lot before you get back on the road very much.
Sucky thing about that is, because of where I live, to get to a parking lot to practice, I have to get onto a main road. There aren't any empty parking lots around my block. lol.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Are you from the area in southwestern CT that considers itself a suburb of NYC rather than part of Connecticut? That might explain it because NY drivers suuuuuuuck, just like their beloved Spankees.... :D

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you from the area in southwestern CT that considers itself a suburb of NYC rather than part of Connecticut? That might explain it because NY drivers suuuuuuuck, just like their beloved Spankees.... :D
Haha not really. But you do have a point. NY drivers are very VERY dangerous.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I HATE seeing jersey or NY tags here in PA because I know there's a VERY good chance they're gonna run me off the road or something. Worst, rudest drivers I've ever seen in my life!! They think it's perfectly acceptable to ride two inches off your bumper at 70mph and they never ever, ever, EVER use signals.

Knock on wood the only embarassing thing I've had happen so far on my bike was I stalled it one time at a redlight. Fired right back up and took off though so I'm not sure if anybody even noticed. Keeping fingers crossed that that's the worst I'll ever have to worry about.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Does it have to be bike related?:eek:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I HATE seeing jersey or NY tags here in PA because I know there's a VERY good chance they're gonna run me off the road or something. Worst, rudest drivers I've ever seen in my life!! They think it's perfectly acceptable to ride two inches off your bumper at 70mph and they never ever, ever, EVER use signals.

Knock on wood the only embarassing thing I've had happen so far on my bike was I stalled it one time at a redlight. Fired right back up and took off though so I'm not sure if anybody even noticed. Keeping fingers crossed that that's the worst I'll ever have to worry about.

There are bad drivers everywhere.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
I've heard it hypothesized that Atlanta-area car dealers are now offering turn signals only as an optional upgrade and most people are turning them down, can't say if it's true or not but based on my own subjective experience it seems highly plausible...

·
Registered
534 Posts
^^ HA HA HA!

And yeah it's not just those states, it's EVERYWHERE nowdays and only getting worse. It's just that with those two states tags you can almost guarantee it's gonna be bad. I do have some friends from jersey though and they drive fine so it's not everybody. What can you expect from a state so communist that they don't even allow their residents to pump their own gas though?? LOL

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
:(

I'm a good driver....least I think so. I do always use my turn signals.

They hand me the lever to pump the gas myself.:)

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
:(

I'm a good driver....least I think so. I do always use my turn signals.

They hand me the lever to pump the gas myself.:)
You still live in a place that serves you???? All self serve here...along with paying first THEN serve ourself.:eek:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Yeah....New Jersey is a weird state....

Cheaper gas though than the general area around me thanks to less gas taxes.

It's pretty annoying on a bike. I'm already off the bike, I'm doing pretty much everything except putting the card into the machine, pressing the octane selection button, and picking up the nozzle.

I take off the gas cap and then wait for someone to show up to put my card into the machine....it's stupid.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
^sounds redundant. "Department of Redundantcy Department" lol I bought the t-shirt:D

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Yeah....New Jersey is a weird state....

Cheaper gas though than the general area around me thanks to less gas taxes.

It's pretty annoying on a bike. I'm already off the bike, I'm doing pretty much everything except putting the card into the machine, pressing the octane selection button, and picking up the nozzle.

I take off the gas cap and then wait for someone to show up to put my card into the machine....it's stupid.
So as long as this thread is completely derailed... (He would probably rather forget the whole thing anyway)...
I have never ridden my motorcycle in NJ but go there in a car for training every year. Accurate tank fills for calculating mpg would be completely out the window since the owner isn't allowed to touch the nozzle. Have to keep 3 tank rolling averages to get any real idea. It never struck home until now. What a STUPID LAW!. Next thing you know you will need a 2 year degree in gas pumping to get the job. And motorcylists will have to step into an isolation booth to spare them from possible deadly second hand exposure. Right before they head home to fish those carbs out of the bowl they have been soaking in to scrub them with an old tooth brush.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts