Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Motor issue

9K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Michael 
#1 ·
Hello guys,
I'll explain you what happened to me.
I did yesterday in the morning the 1000km service.
Then I get my bike back to follow the motorcycle lesson (the evening).

I begun to have some problems like when I pulled the clutch, the motor stopped. Then of course, if I release the clutch the rear wheel is blocked. (Awesome when I did that at 80km/h...) Luckily I didn't crash.
Then there was a loud sound (tac tac tac tac) coming from the motor (not from the muffler). So I went to the garage (it was closed but I let the bike there). On the way I had a lot of problem, I was really afraid.
Then when I stopped at the garage, I looked at the temperature (on the board) it had 5 bars. (Normally max 3).
Then I thought : what do they do at 1000km service ? Oil change.
So I opened the oil tank, and there was a light smoke coming out.

My bike there, a friend came to get me, and today in the morning I call them to explain the problems, explain where I left the keys for them.

I went to the garage at 1pm (just before clause) to get wheter my beloved bike, or another (I had lesson in the afternoon so I needed a bike).

They told me there was indeed a very strange sound thus I couldn't get my bike back. (I had to take another...)

They will be looking at it deeply Monday... I'll keep you uptodate.

But, you just have to know all began to go bad after the 1000km.

So it's probably their mistake, isn't it ?
Do you think what I described are symptoms of them FORGETTING TO PUT OIL BACK ???

It would be a very heavy accusation.

Do you have any idea what it could be ?

Anyway I'll keep you uptodate.

PS: I know this thread is totally useless, but I wanted to share my frustration & sadness :)
PS2 : Anyway it's on guarantee, but I'm sad without my brand new bike, and I'm afraid that the motor got damage.
PS3 : sorry for my english :)

See less See more
#2 ·
from my 1000 km service, they change around 4-5 things.
1. the oil
2. the oil filter
3. the oil bolt and the rubber seal.
4. i dont know what it called, gasket or something that protect the engine (cause they say when they check the engine, they have to change that specific part)
5. another filter (i forget the air filter or something).
and it's cost me Rp. 101.000 or 12 dollar for the service. it's a standard operation for the first service but thank god it's feel good again.

perhaps you should really check the service garage. it could be they doesn't do it carefully.

#5 ·
perhaps you should really check the service garage. it could be they doesn't do it carefully.
I agree with this, and Boonty (check the sight glass).

One of the reasons I started doing my own servicing was because I was not happy about work not being done properly at a dealer. Where I am now I don't have a workshop available, so I have a small shop near me do the job. The guy (and his wife) do a good job and answer questions. Still it is instinctive for me to do a quick check after servicing, and get anything sorted that I feel is not quite right. No problem, they expect it.

Do check the work of whoever does it.... double check if you do it yourself!

#3 · (Edited)
PS3 - your English is fine, Gaigri

PS2 - Yes, your bike is under guarantee, but this sounds more like a problem arising from the job in the workshop rather than the bike itself. If so, it should be the garage that carries the responsibility and the cost, not Honda.... and not you!

PS1 - This thread shares your experience. Cathartic for you, and useful for others

How long after you picked up the bike did the problem occur?

It sounds like it could be the result of one of these:

1 - Failure to refill with fresh oil, as you suggest. It can happen, and probably has on more than one occasion.

2 - Failure to replace, or tighten, the oil drain plug. That can happen, and I know of one occasion when it did, to a guy I worked for. He was not happy about the mess it made to the engine of his nice new Jaguar.

3 - Installing the oil filter the wrong way round. In the workshop service manual (which I have seen scanned and posted on another forum) it warns agains doing that, so I guess it can be done.

It could be caused by some other factor. I once had the oil seal around the gear shifter fail for some reason on a bike I owned (my first Honda CB350). I came to a fairly rapid halt from about 100 km/h when the engine seized after the oil was gone.

That experience and a few others, including a couple of tyre blowouts, is one of the reasons I don't make a habit of pushing a vehicle and myself to the limit on the road. Keep plenty in reserve and you have a better chance of dealing with the unexpected. Off road and on race tracks are the places to explore limits.

Anyway, bummer experience for you, Gaigri. I hope it gets sorted satisfactorily (and in your favor). Thanks for sharing to date, and please do share the outcome.

#6 ·
Gaigra! It sounds like not enough oil in the crankcase. Looking at the sight glass would have been a good idea....smoke coming out of the oil fill...not a good sign...also burnt oil will have a very distinct smell and it thickens up.....Keep us posted as to the results!

#7 ·
Hopefully, you get any issues sorted out.

From my experience, it's not unusual to get visible 'vapor' coming out of an open oil fill hole from a hot engine.

Also, without actually being there it's hard to know what may have happened. For example, it's possible that when the clutch was pulled in, the engine stop button got pressed. This would cut the engine then when the clutch is let out, the wheel is going to lurch because the engine isn't turning under its own power...

Hard to know.

Let us know what they say !

#8 ·
1000km service is a valve clearance inspect and adjust so they would of head the rocker cover (head cover) off and looking at the valves. As to your problem, how long is a piece of string, you cant just diagnose a problem over the phone or on a forum without looking at it.

#9 ·
First update :
I went there with my lent cbf250 hoping to get back my little monster.
They have disassemble the motor, they're looking for it.
So I keep my lent motorcycle until tomorrow afternoon because they need it. Hope I'll get more information :)
Thanks for your support guys !

#13 ·
So, they know what happened
It looks like the (oncoming ; arrival ; rise (dunno what term is the best in english)) of oil was blocked. So it was indeed an oil problem. Then of course they won't tell me if that's their fault or not. Anyway, they'll change a few parts : The piston, and others I don't remember...
So apparently it will be alright, and I'll get it back on friday.

Anyway I'll ask for the "work list" to know exactly what they did, and have proof if I have future motor problem (which is probable).

Thanks to you all, and I'll let you know how it works & if I have some new troubles.

"My motor was more frigthened than hurt !" ;)

#14 · (Edited)
Of course they won't admit to any fault. However, I am picking that it was the oil filter installed the wrong way round. In the service manual it specifically warns against doing that, so it seems it can be done.

If so, the up side is that you would hope that they have learned, and it will not happen again.

I hope the shop is carrying the cost of putting it right. If they do a decent job, I reckon your bike should be fine.

Thanks for the update.

#15 ·
Yes, thanks for keeping us posted, people reporting their experiences make this forum invaluable.

I thought he said the oil pick up was blocked, might have been some trash, plastic or paper at the bottom of the motor. It's amazing how a shop can bung up the most simple operations.

I expect the motor will be fine for you now. :)

#18 ·
Oil

Hows the bike running now. IMHO, they didn't fill it with oil. You can't install the oil filter the wrong way. I have been taking motors apart and rebuilding them for a while, and trust me, they messed up. They are lucky you weren't seriously injured in a crash because of them! Whenever you go to ride, always check your oil level. If you can, learn how to service the bike yourself with the help of someone more experienced. This way, you will know how the bike has been taken care of, and you don't have to pay for shoddy, second rate work. I would hope that they replaced more than your piston/cylinder too. Oil starvation will score the cams, shims, crank bearings etc.

#19 · (Edited)
Hows the bike running now. IMHO, they didn't fill it with oil. You can't install the oil filter the wrong way. I have been taking motors apart and rebuilding them for a while, and trust me, they messed up. They are lucky you weren't seriously injured in a crash because of them! Whenever you go to ride, always check your oil level. If you can, learn how to service the bike yourself with the help of someone more experienced. This way, you will know how the bike has been taken care of, and you don't have to pay for shoddy, second rate work. I would hope that they replaced more than your piston/cylinder too. Oil starvation will score the cams, shims, crank bearings etc.
It appears you can install the oil filter the wrong way round on the CBR250R, and in the Service Manual (scanned and available on another website) it specifically warns against doing so. Here's what it says in the Owner's Manual:

1. Place a drain pan under the crankcase.
2. To drain the oil, remove the oil fill cap, oil drain bolt ( 1 ) and sealing washer ( 2 ).
3. Remove the right under cowl (page 52 ).
4. Remove the oil filter cover ( 3), oil filter(4), spring (5) and gasket (6) by removing the oil filter cover bolt ( 7 ).
5. Install the new oil filter with the ‘‘OUT- SIDE’’ mark (8) facing out.

Use only the Honda Genuine oil filter or a filter of equivalent quality specified for your model. Using the wrong Honda filter or a non-Honda filter which is not of equivalent quality may cause engine damage.

Improper installation of the oil filter can cause serious engine damage.

6. Install the oil filter spring into the oil filter cover. Then, install the new gasket and oil filter cover. Make sure the oil filter cover bolts are tightened securely to the specified torque. Oil filter cover bolts torque:
12 N·m (1.2 kgf·m , 9 lbf·ft)
7. Check that the sealing washer on the drain bolt is in good condition and install the bolt. Replace the sealing washer every other time the oil is changed, or each time if necessary.
Engine oil drain bolt torque:
24 N·m (2.4 kgf·m , 18 lbf·ft)
8. Fill the crankcase with the recommended grade oil; approximately:
1.5 (1.6 US qt , 1.3 Imp qt)
9. Install the oil fill cap. 10. Start the engine and let it idle for 3-5
minutes. 11. 2-3 minutes after stopping the engine,
check that the oil level is at the upper level mark in the inspection window with the motorcycle upright on firm, level ground. Make sure there are no oil leaks.

I gather that a difference between a Honda filter and a non Honda equivalent (at least some anyway) is that there is no "OUTSIDE" mark on them (the non-Honda filter).

#21 ·
Well, I think Honda puts that in there for their own protection. The oil filter only has 1 hole with the gasket on it. It can't be mounted the other way.
It would seem it can be, which will cause the serious motor damage they warn of.

Murphy's law - If it can happen, it will.
(sooner or later)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.