Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am getting this strange and annoying rattling noise coming from the engine,

During 1st service, the mechanic changed oil and oil filter, and replaced my left handle piece as its moulding was not perfect.

After the service engine oil started leaking, i asked them to check but they told me that oil is dropping from chain.

After few weeks oil was completely drained, and some smoke was coming out near engine area. They relaced the oil and fixed the oil filter properly, but i am hearing this annoying rattling noise since then.

Any pointer as to why this is happening. ??

Thanks,
Rohit

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Welcome to cbr250.net

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Hi,

During 1st service, the mechanic changed oil and oil filter, and replaced my left handle piece as its moulding was not perfect.

After the service engine oil started leaking, i asked them to check but they told me that oil is dropping from chain.

After few weeks oil was completely drained, and some smoke was coming out near engine area. They relaced the oil and fixed the oil filter properly, but i am hearing this annoying rattling noise since then.

Thanks,
Rohit

Here's the ongoing thread about the engine noise - http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-problems-issues/1561-engine-rattle-sign-up.html

You may have serious problems if you ran it out of oil. Sounds like they screwed-up somehow, but it's your job to babysit them and make sure the engine has oil. If there was a question, you should have checked the oil sooner than 2 weeks.

To ensure your safety while riding it's your responsibility to make sure everything is correct before heading out for a ride - tire pressures (weekly at least) and condition, oil levels, chain lube and adjustment, coolant levels, brake fluid levels, tight nuts and bolts - all of these things need attention regularly to make sure the cycle is safe to operate.

If it's using oil and smoking you have major engine damage from lack of oil.

EDIT: One fairly easy way to check the engine's condition would be to remove the valve cover and look at the cams. They should be smooth and shiny. If they have any scuffs or galling, chances are there will be damage to the bearings and cylinder as well.

Jay

·
Registered
37 Posts
Here's the ongoing thread about the engine noise - http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-problems-issues/1561-engine-rattle-sign-up.html

You may have serious problems if you ran it out of oil. Sounds like they screwed-up somehow, but it's your job to babysit them and make sure the engine has oil. If there was a question, you should have checked the oil sooner than 2 weeks.

To ensure your safety while riding it's your responsibility to make sure everything is correct before heading out for a ride - tire pressures (weekly at least) and condition, oil levels, chain lube and adjustment, coolant levels, brake fluid levels, tight nuts and bolts - all of these things need attention regularly to make sure the cycle is safe to operate.

If it's using oil and smoking you have major engine damage from lack of oil.

Jay
Hi,

Thanks,
Rohit

Rohit.. as rightly pointed out by Jay..the lack of oil could have seriously damaged the piston.. Please get this sorted with the Honda dealer ASAP.. I have just got my first service done and was inquiring about CBR parts.. these seem to be a real problem currently as the parts are imported by order only and takes upto weeks to get.. hope ur problem is sorted soon..

·
Registered
378 Posts
The engine rattle subject has been discussed on this site already. Please search before making threads. And also.... this is just my $0.02.... I would not be going back to who ever is doing your service to start... as they obviously don't know how to do something as simple as an oil change. and secondly... you should be checking your bikes "T-CLOCS" every day or at minimum; every other. If your not familiar with T-CLOCS it tells me you have never went through MSF training... which as your name suggests... you ARE reckless. T-CLOCS is an acro for Tires, Controls, Lights, Oil, Chassis, Stands. This is not a car where you might get away with low tire pressure for a few days or having a light out. On a bike you can die!

·
Registered
879 Posts
The engine rattle subject has been discussed on this site already. Please search before making threads. And also.... this is just my $0.02.... I would not be going back to who ever is doing your service to start... as they obviously don't know how to do something as simple as an oil change. and secondly... you should be checking your bikes "T-CLOCS" every day or at minimum; every other. If your not familiar with T-CLOCS it tells me you have never went through MSF training... which as your name suggests... you ARE reckless. T-CLOCS is an acro for Tires, Controls, Lights, Oil, Chassis, Stands. This is not a car where you might get away with low tire pressure for a few days or having a light out. On a bike you can die!
Lighten up bud

·
Registered
378 Posts
Lighten up bud
I know that came off kinda harsh but I don't wanna see a post on here of him saying his arm or leg is broke (not to mention his bike destroyed) cause some simple daily checks were overlooked. T-CLOCS is a safety essential.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
your name suggests... you ARE reckless. T-CLOCS is an acro for Tires, Controls, Lights, Oil, Chassis, Stands. This is not a car where you might get away with low tire pressure for a few days or having a light out. On a bike you can die!
harsh :mad: but 100% true :)
but with a name like reckless...:D

bikes are more like planes, or any other vehicle you pilot really , you have to at least look them over before you trust your life to this machine. you don't want to ride off with one of the bolts that hold the brake caliper loose or something like that :D

T-cloclks ??? :confused:that's money too , thanks ! bet the guy that pulled off with his lock on wished he remember'd this :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great .. i never thought i wuld be enlightened so much :p that was very nice of you guys to hear my problem.. really appreciate. :) :p yeah m bit of a reckless fellow...

I called the dealer they will service it right away, i just hope its not a big issue, motor still works fine, i guess some configuration might have been disturbed due to over heating.... i m not sure they can tackle the problem but i will definitely blow their minds off with the knowledge i got frm here :D http://www.cbr250.net/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Will update on the issue soon, i guess many fellow members are facing this issue and the bike being recently launched in India we could barely find a nice mechanic for this.. so we end up trusting the dealer for ny kind of issues... that they barely understand...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hear a rattling sound when I m moving n let off the accelerator.... Rather while engine braking it is not so prominent while acceleration but as soon as I let go of the accelerator with the geArs engaged I hear the sound I just got my cbr 2 days back I've not tried any other cbr so not sure if that sound is normal or if there's a problem plz help

·
Registered
3 Posts
Taneemdalvi

I hear a rattling sound when I m moving n let off the accelerator.... Rather while engine braking.(not breaking) it is not so prominent while acceleration but as soon as I let go of the accelerator with the geArs engaged I hear the sound I just got my cbr 2 days back I've not tried any other cbr so not sure if that sound is normal or if there's a problem plz help.sound like some strange motor or something (but its not the engine fan fr sure)

·
Registered
167 Posts
For what it's worth, I thought the same thing when I did my first oil change. Then I removed the front sprocket / chain cover, and noticed that the lubricant I'm using on the chain collects inside this cover. It drips down to the oil pan drain bolt. It looks like an engine oil leak but (at least on mine) it's not.

Regular cleaning of the inside of the sprocket cover should resolved the messiness.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Don't have MSF in the part of the world where I live so T-CLOCS is new to me. Thanks for sharing.

The UK Police Foundation's police riders handbook refers to 'POWER' for routine pre-start checks -- Petrol, Oil, Water, Electrics, Rubber.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Super Moderator
2,044 Posts
Unfortunately, this is a service error. You need to get it repaired by the shop that did the initial "service" on your bike as Honda doesn't warranty service.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got my 2012 CBR250R (manufacture date o4/12 )in late November, yes the rattle is there, although "walking" the throttle @ 5000-6000 rpm makes it more pronounced under load. Definetely a spark rattle, some bikes may have a fuel mapping or O2 sensor Mapping problem. This noise is temerature related, more pronounced during warm ambient temps...riding at 38=45 degrees, mine won't do it at all..unless the temp get above 65-70 degrees..then it sounds like a rock in a tin can..changed to 93 octane seems to minimize the effect ever so slightly..I say run the thing until something breaks and makes smoke out the pipe, or until it's time to run out and buy another bike..I'm sure having fun with mine at 900 miles and counting..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts