Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother had to pull me home, So i parked the bike and bought a gixxer. Finally got around to dropping the 250 motor to find out what happened and upon motor disassembly, found some interesting evidence if someone with more knowledge on internal components would like to elaborate ill include some photos of my findings.
Thank you in advance

The opening here in the last photo is where i found these mangled pieces

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Toasted bearing material. Most likely from a lack of oil for whatever reason.

Engine is not worth "rebuilding" with that amount of damaged material.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Without having seen it, my guess would be someone fitting the oil filter the wrong way around.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Engine is not worth "rebuilding" with that amount of damaged material.
Good call man, after delving a bit deeper today i found that the conrod (i think its called) the main arm driving the piston its bearing just completely blew apart.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There was not a lack of oil though it was dirty and motor was abused by previous owner stunting and racing it and then me redline shifting it all the time

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
There was not a lack of oil though it was dirty and motor was abused by previous owner stunting and racing it and then me redline shifting it all the time
That would be odd. You can see the signs of extreme heat on the rod and crank, and scoring on the piston.

Most of the time if an engine just "blows up" it's going to throw pieces of the engine all over - and not melt them down.

The CBR doesn't carry much oil, and if the level got low it wouldn't take much to starve the oil pump and melt down.

Doesn't really matter how it happened, but to me it looks like a lack of lubrication was the cause.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
On a side note - we bought a 1990 Ninja 250 for $150 that was crashed at 80 MPH and beat. The gas looked like dirty water and the oil looked like dirty gas. Got it running and my son rode it for 3 years, most of the time near redline. Always had fresh Rotella T6 in it. Never missed a beat. Actually ran better in some ways than a pristine 2004 with low miles that we also had at the same time.

Engines can take a lot of abuse, but good, fresh, adequate oil is critical.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That would be odd. You can see the signs of extreme heat on the rod and crank, and scoring on the piston.

Most of the time if an engine just "blows up" it's going to throw pieces of the engine all over - and not melt them down.

The CBR doesn't carry much oil, and if the level got low it wouldn't take much to starve the oil pump and melt down.

Doesn't really matter how it happened, but to me it looks like a lack of lubrication was the cause.
So it probably happened when the oil strainer became clogged? Starved critical components of oil and quickly came to. Because before dropping the motor i took notice to oil level being proper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On a side note - we bought a 1990 Ninja 250 for $150 that was crashed at 80 MPH and beat. The gas looked like dirty water and the oil looked like dirty gas. Got it running and my son rode it for 3 years, most of the time near redline. Always had fresh Rotella T6 in it. Never missed a beat. Actually ran better in some ways than a pristine 2004 with low miles that we also had at the same time.

Engines can take a lot of abuse, but good, fresh, adequate oil is critical.
Nice i am about to get a cbr 500 that was wrecked pretty bad too for about 300 bucks but the motor sounds healthy bike runs great gonna fix it up

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the oil level was fine, something restricted oil flow most likely.
Also forgot to mention probably more than half the time id be hopping on the bike in a hurry and taking off with no warm up ( something i NEVER do with my vehicles) i let hondas motor rep cloud my head. My excuse: "its a honda itll be fine" Always warm up the engine, its as critical as having sufficient oil in my opinion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts