·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I posted this on another forum and i thought i would share it here as well:

I am not sure if you all are aware of the Fatality tracking tool online:

FARS Encyclopedia

Motorcycle number have gone up pretty steadily, no doubt more and more bikes were on the road as time passed.

Reason i am posting this though, besides an FYI, is to ask you all who ride and have ridden for a while if a serious accident and fatality are inevitable?

When i say inevitable, i mean even for the guy/girl who rides a bike within his abilities, ATGATTed up, remains conspicuous on the road,drive defensively etc.

Do you all think this is just bound to happen, and those who make it out of the incident should just count themselves lucky and keep it rolling? let me know what you think.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Statistically Yes... we accept that and prepare for the worst.

Personally I'm doing my bit by giving up road riding all together.. just dont enjoy it enough anymore.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I wouldn't go as far as say inevitable. Is it likely that at some point you will have an accident, yes. Are you necessarily going to be killed? No. But, obviously your odds of being killed on a bike are much greater than in a car. The best advice I have ever received about riding was from an older guy who said when you get as comfortable on your bike as in a car....it's time to sell. If you're actively looking for dangerous situations and are prepared in advance...your odds are much better. There's no guarantee though.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
No **** sherlock.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I wouldn't go as far as say inevitable. Is it likely that at some point you will have an accident, yes. Are you necessarily going to be killed? No. But, obviously your odds of being killed on a bike are much greater than in a car. The best advice I have ever received about riding was from an older guy who said when you get as comfortable on your bike as in a car....it's time to sell. If you're actively looking for dangerous situations and are prepared in advance...your odds are much better. There's no guarantee though.
I ride like I KNOW all cars are out to kill me. It's served me well for 31 years now, and over 200,000 miles.

On an unrelated note, I've been through Lodi.:cool:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Motorcycle number have gone up pretty steadily, no doubt more and more bikes were on the road as time passed.
I don't really know that these statistics tell you much, not a huge increase over the years, but at the same time it doesn't tell you how many bikes are on the road, how many miles are ridden by bikes, off-road, track related accidents, etc.

In the last few years there has been a huge increase in the number of scooters with the price of gas, are these included in this category?

That said, it is more dangerous to ride a bike than a car, which is more dangerous than flying in a plane. Sadly while cars have become safer with additions of seat belts, air bags, ABS, basic construction which causes the car to crush around you, etc. Bikes leave you exposed and have gone unchanged for almost a century. Recent additions of ABS have made them a bit safer and gear has become better (if you wear it), but if you are in an accident, you are pretty much exposed.

I have been riding for years (1971-83 and 96-present.) In my younger years, I never went down, except when playing in dirt (does that count?). Since 96 I have gone down twice, once in a parking lot at about 10 mph (no personal damage and about $50 damage to bike) and 2 weeks ago coming off an interstate at about 40-50 mph (knee opened up, no broken bones, cuts and bruises, no hospital stay, bike totaled).

I plan to ride again, I would have bought a new bike by now, if I wasn't in the process of building a home (Mortgage companies don't like you buying stuff when you are buying a house :confused: )

I think riding requires more thought than driving. You can't ride safely when you are impaired, upset, not concentrating on riding. You can daydream and drive a car, might run off the road, but normally not a big deal, but on a bike you are probably going down.

I think it is important to plan ahead more when riding. I live in a huge tourist area around Disney. When I drive my car, I go from point A to point B, don't really concern myself much about traffic, except avoiding the most obvious trouble spots. On my bike, I might ride 10 miles further to stay off of all the busy roads and avoid as many intersections and cagers as possible. I generally don't care if that means it takes me 5-15 minutes longer the goal is to arrive alive.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I ride like I KNOW all cars are out to kill me. It's served me well for 31 years now, and over 200,000 miles.
Some cagers are very aggressive when behind the wheel surrounded by 3000 lbs of metal and plastic. I don't get it, but it is they way our society has changed for the bad.

I remember and incident that I had once when I was on a 4-lane hi-way, crawling at about 5 mph in heavy traffic. I was in the left lane and the cager next to me started to change lanes. I honked at him and he looked right at me and just kept coming. He pushed me off the road and could have cared less.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Some cagers are very aggressive when behind the wheel surrounded by 3000 lbs of metal and plastic. I don't get it, but it is they way our society has changed for the bad.

I remember and incident that I had once when I was on a 4-lane hi-way, crawling at about 5 mph in heavy traffic. I was in the left lane and the cager next to me started to change lanes. I honked at him and he looked right at me and just kept coming. He pushed me off the road and could have cared less.
Just yesterday I watched a guy pass 3 cars that were already 3mph over the limit. he was swerving around them from outside on the right to cutting into the left. crazy! people are willing to die to get to wal-mart or mcdonalds 4 seconds sooner. half the reason i wear my gopro on every ride is to have evidence for that day that someone wrecks me.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Just yesterday I watched a guy pass 3 cars that were already 3mph over the limit. he was swerving around them from outside on the right to cutting into the left. crazy! people are willing to die to get to wal-mart or mcdonalds 4 seconds sooner. half the reason i wear my gopro on every ride is to have evidence for that day that someone wrecks me.

this.

generaly ppl are fucking stupid or just dont care,society as a whole
is on a downward spiral.
i'm aware more when on the bike.
in my truck-i'm the slow guy you hate on the interstate:D
but there im strapped in and in a better position to give the finger if needed,also something to shut your mouth in my glovebox if
it would ever get out of hand in a roadrage thing.;)

i was on one of my reeded gsr 40's a few weeks ago and a woman
actually rubbed up against me at a fourway stop.i took off my helmet
and was going to smash out her windshield but saw she
was probably inbread or worse being she looked like a dimwit.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I don't really know that these statistics tell you much, not a huge increase over the years, but at the same time it doesn't tell you how many bikes are on the road, how many miles are ridden by bikes, off-road, track related accidents, etc.

In the last few years there has been a huge increase in the number of scooters with the price of gas, are these included in this category?

That said, it is more dangerous to ride a bike than a car, which is more dangerous than flying in a plane. Sadly while cars have become safer with additions of seat belts, air bags, ABS, basic construction which causes the car to crush around you, etc. Bikes leave you exposed and have gone unchanged for almost a century. Recent additions of ABS have made them a bit safer and gear has become better (if you wear it), but if you are in an accident, you are pretty much exposed.

I have been riding for years (1971-83 and 96-present.) In my younger years, I never went down, except when playing in dirt (does that count?). Since 96 I have gone down twice, once in a parking lot at about 10 mph (no personal damage and about $50 damage to bike) and 2 weeks ago coming off an interstate at about 40-50 mph (knee opened up, no broken bones, cuts and bruises, no hospital stay, bike totaled).

I plan to ride again, I would have bought a new bike by now, if I wasn't in the process of building a home (Mortgage companies don't like you buying stuff when you are buying a house :confused: )

I think riding requires more thought than driving. You can't ride safely when you are impaired, upset, not concentrating on riding. You can daydream and drive a car, might run off the road, but normally not a big deal, but on a bike you are probably going down.

I think it is important to plan ahead more when riding. I live in a huge tourist area around Disney. When I drive my car, I go from point A to point B, don't really concern myself much about traffic, except avoiding the most obvious trouble spots. On my bike, I might ride 10 miles further to stay off of all the busy roads and avoid as many intersections and cagers as possible. I generally don't care if that means it takes me 5-15 minutes longer the goal is to arrive alive.
How did you go down after coming off the interstate?

·
Registered
385 Posts
The lack of bike choices doesn't help the situation. There's almost nothing out there, at least in the US, between a 250 and MUCH more powerful 600+.
And the ergonomics - there's cruiser and sport but very few street bikes. It wasn't always this way; back in the 80's and earlier there were lots of 450's and 500's with less awkward riding positions. So today lots of people are riding bikes that really aren't right for them.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I was on a off-ramp and tapped the front brakes. The front started to shake and I could just ride it out, couldn't lean into the curve & couldn't brake anymore.

I went straight at the end of the off-ramp across 2 lanes of traffic and dumped it in the median.
o_O. Wow that sucks, least you're ok.

·
Registered
350 Posts
+1 It's suctioned somewhere on my bike, every ride... same reason...

At the very least, I plan on having my retirement paid for... statistically speaking...

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
on my 3 hour ride today in the country..50% of the pillhead idiots coming the opposite direction were all over the double yellow lines in corners by a foot or even more...98% of them didnt bother to swerve back into their lane seeing as i was just a motorcycle

No..i dont think its inevitable...and if i thought i was gonna get seriously wounded by another driver or even killed..i woulda stayed home..wouldnt you?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Driving like everyone else on the road is out to get you is definitely the way to go. I drive my car that way. Keeps you aware.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Quit whining about it. Theres worse ways to die.
I absolutely agree! I've had motorcycling on my 'bucket list' for a long time. Last year my stepbrother was diagnosed with stage IV cancer. Bottom line: He's 34 years old and will be dead before his 35th birthday. :(

So, that was it. I decided that I couldn't be afraid of dying because if I was, I wasn't living. I am a NEW rider (licensed 3/11, bike delivered 3/16 and logged 440 miles since--even with a week of a vacation keeping me from riding). :)

Like many others, I ride defensively with a passion--everything is a threat, poses a danger and should be a risk I manage BEFORE it becomes a problem. Read "Proficient Motorcycling" (v. 2) by David Hough for a break-down on some of the statistics. And, decide for yourself how much you're willing to let it hang out there...

Be safe, ride strong!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello All,
I posted this on another forum and i thought i would share it here as well:

I am not sure if you all are aware of the Fatality tracking tool online:

FARS Encyclopedia

Reason i am posting this though, besides an FYI, is to ask you all who ride and have ridden for a while if a serious accident and fatality are inevitable?

When i say inevitable, i mean even for the guy/girl who rides a bike within his abilities, ATGATTed up, remains conspicuous on the road,drive defensively etc.

Do you all think this is just bound to happen, and those who make it out of the incident should just count themselves lucky and keep it rolling? let me know what you think.
No accident is inevitable. Bad habits have to be rooted out and you have to continuosly evaluate your riding and the route you routinely take. For safety reasons you may alter this route.

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
I think motorcycles are the last bastion of Darwinism! Only the smart survive. You have to be ever vigilant. Personally, I think everyone should have to ride a motorcycle for a year before getting their car license. The idiots and drunk drivers would weed themselves out and the car drivers would be a lot more aware of their surroundings.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts