Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Motorcycle Gear Question: Boots

4K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  ptcary 
#1 ·
I'm a brand new rider. Brand new to riding, and brand new to all things motorcycle in general (I have taken and passed the MSF course though, and have had my bike for a little over 3 weeks now, but haven't done too much riding). I have a question about gear. Can anyone steer me in the right direction when it comes to boots? I'm torn between the more street looking shoes, and the more mx looking boots. I would like something that I can also wear as a regular shoe (don't want to have to carry around an extra pair of shoes everywhere I decide to go), but that also offers enough protection if I got into an accident. I'm not really interested in something that's waterproof at the moment.

If you have any experience with either, I'd like to hear your opinion and why you feel that way. Thanks!!

#2 ·
I have 2 types of footwear that I use when I ride. If I need to be dressed up a little bit, I would wear my leather rider boots. It looks somewhat like a pair of dress boots. When I'm more casual, I wear basketball shoes so my ankles are still protected.

At any rate, just make sure that your ankles are protected. You really don't need track gear if you are just commuting.

#8 ·
You should always dress for the crash, ALWAYS!

I find it sickening that most states in the USA dont enforce helmets.

Imagine how many injuries would be saved with proper gear been worn by riders.

I use a local sold brand called syga race

a fair cheap but no bull **** boot

cost me $230au with postage

#9 ·
There are lots of touring boots that would qualify for what you want. The big thing is to have your ankles protected with padding over your instep for shifting. Motorcycle specific boots tend to be a little slimmer so they fit under the shifter and don't stick out as far as a pair of hi-tops. They also don't have laces. Some of them even have ankle support built in. A little thought of item on motorcycle boots is that the soles are slimmer and not as sticky as hi-tops so they slide on pavement if you ever get over that far. The pic above has toe sliders, which is better. The outer foxing on the standard sneakers can grip the pavement pretty fiercely and yank your foot off the peg hard enough to upset your position on the bike. Some of the boots are pretty comfortable to wear unless you get into a set of roadrace boots that tend to be optimized for being in a crouch. I'd get a pair of low level touring boots to start with and see what you really want. My personal preference is Sidi.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.