Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm looking for a motorcycle GPS and something that's good. My first and only GPS was a Curtis GPS, not sure what model it was but it was horrible.

I'm told Garmin is a good brand and what caught my attention is the Garmin Zumo 660 4.3 Motorcycle GPS that Best Buy is selling for $799.99. Take a look: Garmin Zumo 4.3" Motorcycle GPS (Zumo 660) : Motorcycle GPS - Best Buy Canada

I'm looking for some suggestions and what you recommend.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The GPS of choice?

My favorite navigation tool is the human brain. Funny how we don't want to use that application anymore. But hey, as soon as China builds a newer, bigger, better and cheaper brain we'll all be able to get that at Wal-Mart as well. But until then I’ll keep using the old one I have. It does make some wild errors occasionally. I found the Battleship Texas and the San Jacinto Battlefield that way!

·
Registered
48 Posts
My favorite navigation tool is the human brain. Funny how we don't want to use that application anymore. But hey, as soon as China builds a newer, bigger, better and cheaper brain we'll all be able to get that at Wal-Mart as well. But until then I’ll keep using the old one I have. It does make some wild errors occasionally. I found the Battleship Texas and the San Jacinto Battlefield that way!

But, but, but, GPS are good for finding gas stations too. That comes in handy when you'll have an itty bitty tank.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My brain does not come pre-programmed with a map of Utah (I'm not from here). Also, I haven't been able to log my brain into any kind of app store to update and download new maps. I get your point of it being totally reasonable to store all updated paper maps in the storage area of the bike for 'quick and easy' access. Till I am able to hear back from tech support about auto updating my brain I will stick with the silly GPS for navigating unfamiliar routes.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Garmin car units are not made for the vibrations felt on a Motorcycle. That's why the Motorcycle specific units are so expensive. But you can definitely use the car units on smoother surfaces like highways. Also the car units aren't water proof like the motorcycle units.
I have used my Garmin Nuvi, Garmin GPSMAP 60 Csx handheld and my cell phone GPS on my motorcycle. The best for me would be the handheld unit.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I like that Matt. I use maps in the clear window on top of my tank bag. no buttons to push, vibration no problem. my cbr will be unplugged in respect to the gps. pretty cheap too. This gives you something to do at rest stops, and a bigger picture for planning. Some times just off the route there is something to good to pass up if you knew it was so close. Here inn the U.S. gas is not hard to find in the western states. There are usually even warning signs if it is unusually far to next gas.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The big advantage to motorcycle specific GPS is that they are waterproof and can be paired with a cellphone and headset like the Scala Rider Q2 or G4. Then you can see whose calls you're ignoring. I have both the Zumo 550 and 660, both BMW versions, and I have been very happy with them. I mostly use them for finding gas stations and some trip data but they have gotten me out of some tight spots even though it sometimes seems convoluted. That said, I also argue with them when I change the settings and forget I've done so. If you pair the 660 with a Scala Rider G4 you can get pretty good stereo music via bluetooth and control the player from the headset. The 550 went through 1500mi of rain on a cross-country trip a few years ago without a hitch. To me the connectivity is worth it because I have fewer gadgets to deal with.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a question, I haven't looked for it but where exactly would you be able to plug devices like GPS and all that on the CBR? I usually keep my phone in my jacket pocket but if i needed to charge it while i ride, what would i need to do to?

·
Registered
56 Posts
You would have to install a powerlet plug on the inside of the fairing. Or, you can hardwire it from the battery to the cradle. Make sure you have a low amp, quick-blow fuse on the GPS cable.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Garmin 2820. Bluetooth, and will allow you to upload routes to it, which is the number 1 feature I look for in GPS.

It's not much fun blitzing around back country mountain roads and trying to read a piece of paper in your tank bag at speed. It's so nice to have that hawt Aussie chick whisper directions in my ear while following a route I did on the computer instead of picking shortest distance/fastest speed.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I use a TomTom One gps..same one I use in my car..just bought a RAM gps mount that fits that model..put it ona stem mount with a standard 3" arm, then turn it slightly to the side so it doesn't block anything on my dash..works perfect...I payed $89 for the TomTom...I dont know of any gps on this planet that is worth $800 unless its made from solid gold...thats ridiculous to me

·
Registered
206 Posts
what I did

Hey, I'm looking for a motorcycle GPS and something that's good. My first and only GPS was a Curtis GPS, not sure what model it was but it was horrible.

I'm told Garmin is a good brand and what caught my attention is the Garmin Zumo 660 4.3 Motorcycle GPS that Best Buy is selling for $799.99. Take a look: Garmin Zumo 4.3" Motorcycle GPS (Zumo 660) : Motorcycle GPS - Best Buy Canada

I'm looking for some suggestions and what you recommend.

Thanks!
I spent some time kicking this issue around in my head for some time as you sound to also be doing. The first thing I did was pull up the ADV touring website. There was a lot of good info on there board, which there should be since they use them all over gods green earth. The problem I had, had to do with price. You can find alot of garmin entry level gps units that are water proof but I could not find one with maps of canada which I plan to go to some day. I wanted one that was motorcycle specific but of course the price was way to much. I looked at waterproof cases but I was not sure I wanted to go that route. So what did I do? I went with an older Garmin 2720 and bought an extended replacement warranty. All for about 200.oo. The 2720 is a bike specific unit and does not require a case for water proofing. Also it seemed to have nothing but good reviews on the web. The technology is not the latest cutting edge but it will get you where you want to go and back home. The main reason I wanted a GPS was to ride the mountains in CO and not be stressed on keeping track to what roads I took and then at the end of the day, punch a button and go back to base camp.
When you do get a new gps, I highly recomond that you play with it at home for a bit and learn how to work it and all of the hot keys. That way you are not jacking with it on your bike later.
Pluss this one will also let you program routes a head of time.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I You can find alot of garmin entry level gps units that are water proof but I could not find one with maps of canada which I plan to go to some day. . I looked at waterproof cases but I was not sure I wanted to go that route. The main reason I wanted a GPS was to ride the mountains in CO and not be stressed on keeping track to what roads I took and then at the end of the day, punch a button and go back to base camp.
My TomTom has Canada maps on it too..tho I doubt i will ever use them..I just hook it up to my laptop every few months for an tiny automatic update..I have had mine in the rain several times, not heavy tho...one time I had to replace the mini fuse on the power cord..thats the only problem. If I get caught in a heavy afternoon shower I pull over and stick the gps in my waterproof tankbag till its done raining.

I will leave my house and ride random roads i have never seen before in my life, a quick glance down at the gps shows me corners coming up a few hundred yards down the road, very cool..When I feel I am getting done riding, I click "navigate to home" thats so awesome,I love it

·
Registered
879 Posts
My car garmin works great. Its not waterproff but vibration is not a problem were not riding Harleys. Ive used it on three different bikes still going strong.

·
Registered
76 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts