Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Are they substantial enough for motorcycling? The website has people skating half-pipes and such. The kevlar coverage looks decent though. What are your thoughts?

You are indeed correct with your observations, as from what I've read the guy who designed them, road motorbikes but also skated/bmx, and wanted a Kevlar lined jeans which the 'cool hipster skater kids' could wear without restricting leg movement. As you can see on from the pictures, the Kevlar appears to be as thick as Draggins I tried on in shop.
I have nothing against Draggin jeans or any other manufacture of Kevlar jeans for that matter. I personally wanted a skinny fit jean that could be worn as a dress pant, and the draggin's I tried on could not offer that, as I have a slim build (62kg /137 lbs, 180cm / 5f11 Tall). I also don't see the point in wear 'baggy' or 'too loose' fitting kevlar jeans, as in a crash the jeans will simply ride up, exposing skin.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I have a pair of Resolute kevlar jeans with pockets for knee and hip armour.The knee armour fits over the knee while standing but on bike rides up when you bend your knee so not sure how much help it would be in a crash.
This is my hesitation towards the armor inserts in knee pockets. They could theoretically get pushed up, down, left, or right during a crash. Armor pockets are a convenience factor but I'd be skeptical to say they're as protective as dedicated knee pads though. Good safety point worth reiterating.

The list so far!
Speaking of reiterating, here's a list courtesy of all of us so far here on cbr250.net...
- Draggin Jeans (Austrailia)
- Draggin' Jeans (USA)
- Drayko
- Sartso
- Resolute
- Urban Kreation
- Cortech
- Sliders
- TKD
- Hood
- Shift

I'd also like to add 2 companies that are already known for making motorcycle gear...
- Alpinestars
- Joe Rocket

and a special mention goes to these products for their innovation in adding safety even to regular pants...
- Bohn Body Armor
- Draggin' Liners

·
Registered
179 Posts
My choice for the commute or group rides are overpants with padding in the hips and knees. I have Sliders kevlar lined jeans but they are baggy and kind of hot on hot days. I would like to find jeans with pockets for padding. If the pockets lock the pads in place, I don't see this style as a problem. Thanks for this thread.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've been trying to come up with some sort of solution for a year now. I did purchase these. After 1200 mi. in them I would say they are bulky and not very comfortable but I do feel like they would atleast offer some intitial impact protections and they might stay in place if I was sliding. I do tend to forget that they are on 90% of the time when riding. They are ridiculous if you are trying to walk around in them under your jeans.

I've explored leather, overpants etc. and think I am going to continue using the knee pads because they seem like the would stay in place or should I say be in the right place on initial impact. I am going to supplement them with these shorts.

And the final peice will be some Kevlar jeans. I will be pretty protected at this point minus my hitop leather basketball shoes, but hey, that is better than sandals I suppose.

I guess I just don't trust pads to stay in the right place in overpants and along with the problem of heat and leather pants they don't seem to offer many options of leather with hip and butt protection. This works for me since I usually just ride for fun. If I were commuting I think it would be difficult to make this combination work.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I went low-tech with my answer for the riding jeans issue. For my city commute, 25-35 MPH max, I wanted to get away from heavy armored over pants, with jeans underneath, during the warm weather. And also something I could walk around in at the store / party / etc and look fairly "normal" (or as close as I ever usually get!).

Carhart work pants, with double-thickness material over the knees. I don't need to worry about very significant abrasion resistance at city speeds, when I'm on the highway I do wear the full armor. I do want some impact protection though, should I hit the pavement during the commute, so I picked up a pair of under-the - pants tights with foam padding on knees / hips / tailbone, Daianese. Thin padding but it does feel like it offers a decent amount of low-speed-fall protection. This combo won't do much at 65MPH but at 35 I feel pretty safe around town, and I'm much more comfortable both riding and walking around afterward.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Most of the jeans I have seen only come in one length. I have heard that Harley is coming out with some of these pants at a competitive price as the others and will come it different waist and length sizes. Should be coming out soon, will keep everyone posted.

Keep in mind this is secondhand information and make no promises what so ever.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've been enjoying this thread thanks for creating it. It's interesting to see the variation in which folks choose for protection. I think it's important to point out that there's many points to consider...

how much protection do you need for

1) impact
2) abrasion resistance

those depend on the kind of riding you do, and the risk you want to take.

3) climate control.

I've been struggling with coming up with something I find that meets *my* needs for all 3. I live in the north east, and am not used to long stretches of heat...this summer has felt brutal on the bike. my coat doesn't breathe enough, and no matter what overpant i wear, it seems too much. I'll be checking into the jeans in this thread :) and probably getting a mesh or vented jacket soon as i can afford.

I did do something recently i thought i'd never do...rode without a jacket or overpants. felt naked on the bike...was actually kinda nice. was only a half mile at 30mph though(to fill up the tank).

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just got my lined ICON pants in at my local dealer today . Brought them home and tried them on and they fit great and look really good as well . As it get colder around here the liner should be a big plus i hope . Still waiting on my knee pads and need to pick some padded shorts and boots out but im Getting there .

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Update

I got my closeout Drayko Drifters back from the tailor last week! :cool:

When I dropped them off, they had the "I look like a doofus" fit like the "Drifters" in this picture...

After I got them back, they had the "hey, these are a legitimately fashionable pair of jeans" fit like the "Drifts" in this picture...

A lot of people may think going to a tailor is an extra hassle of a process, but these pants are expenseive and built to keep you safe, so IMO, it's more than worth it. :)

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
I am sure enjoying my Sartso cargo pants. Extremely comfy but cool looking as well. I wld recommend them to any lady who rides. Enjoy them so much hav'nt tried the Jade style yet lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bohn Armour

I purchased a pair of Bohn Armour cool mesh pants. You can wear them under any of your pants. They are pretty comfortable. I wear 36X32 Lee/Levis jeans. I got the medium because I didn't want them to be too loose and it was a good choice. I live in Connecticut and ride the highway to work(sometimes 85mph) so I wanted some protection. They have only knee and hip pads and cost $147.00 total shipped with AMA discount. Came in three days from California.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have Sliders 4.0 in jeans and cargos. They're nice and heavy, I can add knee/shin armor and armored shorts with no problem (roomy/baggy). Slender people often find them too baggy. There are slimmer cuts available now. The extra weight of the Sliders is a hinderance in hotter weather. So, I picked up some Speed and Strength jeans. The Rage... version with the knee armor and the Run.... version without. Much more fashionable and comfy, much lighter and probably less protective.
@gobbs Thanks for the post. Let us know how the Bohn mesh pants hold up. I've been curious about them for some time but have some doubts about the durability of the mesh material.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm glad to have found this thread. I'm in the market for jeans. I will keep you posted on my decision. Thanks for all above posters.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bohn Armor Pants

So far I rode with them to work 2 days. First day I kept them on at work all day. Second day I took them off at work(not hard to do at my job). When you walk around in them the knee pads do start to move, so you may have to fix them under your jeans a little at first. By the end of the second day they started to stay in place better. It's like they broke in to the jeans nice and are fitting better. They stay in place while I'm ride and you hardly know they're on. It was like 53 degrees in the morning 70 degrees riding home. They were perfect, I'm wondering how they'll be on warmer days. Hope my knees are safe. I didn't ride my bike today, still beat from riding my Ktm in the woods last weekend. I do have a nice pair of Leatt 3DF knee pads for riding dirt bikes. And MSR and FOX padded shorts.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts