Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a new rider I've really enjoying seeing other rider's wave and what not. Really makes me appreciate that I starting riding. I think about 90% I've had good reception from other rider's seeing me on the 250. Though what is it between guys who ride harley's to guys who ride sport bikes? For some reason I get this condescending look or attitude from guys who ride the cruiser type bikes when I'm riding on my CBR. I don't receive anything like that from sport bike riders. I mean we are both motorcycle riders, so what is the deal with that? What type of motorcycle you are riding shouldn't matter, am I right? I'm just trying to enjoy the ride probably as much as him/her.

I'm not saying all harley or cruiser type riders are assholes, I met one when I went back to my dealer for some accessories and he was really cool, and praised me that I decided to start riding. Met a few others like him too which is pretty nice.

So if any of the senior motorcycle riders know the answer and could explain it, would appreciate it haha :p

·
Registered
90 Posts
I know what you mean. I use to get waves from other Volkswagen Westfalia campervans when I owned one.. Always thought that was kind've cool to wave and get one back, because no other car/truck had that bond on the road.

hmm with bikes it is different... somehow.
I'll nod to cruisers insted of wave, and sometimes get a nod back. never a hand gesture tho

I'll get waves from dirt bikers and other sportbikes without much hesitation .
The cruiser community seems to be a bit clicky, only recognizing other cruisers in some unwritten code.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If you were riding a 'cruiser' instead of the 250, you might be saying the same thing about 'the crotch rocket riders' and their stuck up ways...

Prejudices are our primate brains speaking to us.. Our higher levels of reasoning let us know that the prejudices are just that and that we should look beneath the surface and withhold judgement a bit..

Some people prefer to be primates.. heck, they're proud to be primates.. nothing you can do about them but to realize that they are uncaged and take necessary precautions just in case.. (actually the worst ones for us are the ones that happen to be *driving* a cage near us when we're riding !)..

·
Registered
329 Posts
Here in Italy, all I got after saying I would have bought a 250cc was:
"You will trade it in after 6 months, you will feel the need for more".

It seems that here under600cc aren't worth the cost.
But here average people think as well that SUVs are safer.

"Il mondo è bello perchè è vario"
CBR250 too :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
If you were riding a 'cruiser' instead of the 250, you might be saying the same thing about 'the crotch rocket riders' and their stuck up ways...
Actually I wouldn't, and I have nothing against people who ride cruisers. I would greet a sport bike rider if I was on a cruiser and vice versa. That's their preference in a ride and I have mine. I was just curious as to why there is that mentality between the two from what I've seen and experienced so far.

·
Registered
928 Posts
By me Mon thru Fri 99% wave regardless what theyre riding.
Weekends its a lot less, seems that the weekend riders are to afraid to let go of the handlebars. But they do look cool dreesed up like Moto GP racers and gay pirates.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Actually I wouldn't, and I have nothing against people who ride cruisers. I would greet a sport bike rider if I was on a cruiser and vice versa. That's their preference in a ride and I have mine. I was just curious as to why there is that mentality between the two from what I've seen and experienced so far.
oh sorry, what I meant to say is that if you were riding a cruiser, you will run into *other* sportbike riders who will 'judge' you for the choice.. (as you currently run into cruiser riders who do the same)..

I find it so ironic the few times when I pull up on my CBR250 next to a person on a Harley and I get 'the look'.. (I think: Dude, my Harley's at home I just chose to ride this today...)

Or pulling up to a 'real' sportbike and getting 'the look'.. (I think: Dude my Speed Triple is at home I just chose to ride this today..)

Or when I pull up on my commute bicycle and then... etc.. etc...

sheesh...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Well here in Hawaii I can say that just about every1 except harley riders will give me a shaka or a wave when we ride by...but....there is a sports bike meet at the local gas station here in waikiki and I have met a few people from it and ALL of em gave me **** about getting the 250. Since then as you all know my bike has changed tremendously and a few days ago I saw a few of those same guys again and that time they had a different tune. They might still disapprove of the 250cc engine but they were to focused on telling me how "bad ass" it looks now to mention it.

Have any of you guys went on rides with bigger sport bike riders? I am worried if I go riding with they group out on the highway I wont be able to keep up at all =(

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just got back from a ride

Was waved at by cruisers before I waved at them.
Seems it might be a different mentality in different places

·
Registered
84 Posts
Some may wave and others might not!.. Just cuz they dont might not mean they dislike what you ride!.. And with them cats who be yappin and lookin down on 250 riders and ask "WHY" and you should get a 600 instead talk... Need to keep what we like out they mouth!.. Cuz honestly... "Why" dont you just STFU... and get out my face with that talk!.. *Sorry Im ventin*.. I hear it all the time!.. And I DGAF!.. Im gon bangout and ride til the wheels fall off!.. CBR250R on mine!.. WHAT!!!..

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's not really a cruisers vs sportbikes thing, in general people just like people who are similar. Like one high school vs another even though they're all from the same town or Packers fans vs Patriots fans even though they all like football. Those of us who are more open minded don't see the need for this "tribal" mentality. I wave at all motorcycles.

·
Registered
706 Posts
You can notice the "riders" vs "posers". If you are out before 10 AM they are 98% more likely to wave back. If it's cold enough you need to dress warm to ride they are more likely to wave back. Just some of the things I've noticed, the guys that are "fair weather" riders are not all into it for the riding experience but more out because it makes them feel cooler. This is not true for all of them obviously.

Surprisingly most guys seem to respect that I started out on something small, around here they see it as smart it seems.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here in Italy, all I got after saying I would have bought a 250cc was:
"You will trade it in after 6 months, you will feel the need for more".

It seems that here under600cc aren't worth the cost.
But here average people think as well that SUVs are safer.

"Il mondo è bello perchè è vario"
CBR250 too :)
I've had my bike for 2 and a half weeks... and I'm starting to have doubts, like I should have gotten a bigger bike, but I know i made the right choice to learn on the 250... but I'm so envious everytime I see a 600. It just seems so easy to keep up with traffic... not as much shifting... and altogether the new 600's make the cbr250 look like a minibike haha.

I need to convince my self (or get mental help) to love the cbr, because right now I really wish I had the money to get a 600 :(

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've had my bike for 2 and a half weeks... and I'm starting to have doubts, like I should have gotten a bigger bike, but I know i made the right choice to learn on the 250... but I'm so envious everytime I see a 600. It just seems so easy to keep up with traffic... not as much shifting... and altogether the new 600's make the cbr250 look like a minibike haha.

I need to convince my self (or get mental help) to love the cbr, because right now I really wish I had the money to get a 600 :(
After riding it for a total of just over 1000 kms (600+ miles) I'd say the 250 is fine in the city but it struggles to keep up with the bigger bikes on the highway. Top speed is not really the issue it's acceleration that's missing. Building speed above 110km/h (65 mi/h) is really really slow compared to a 600+ bike so you can't keep formation.

Learning on the 250 is a great idea as it's very forgiving. Maybe you should ride it this summer and upgrade to a bigger bike next year. The 250 is a lot of fun but it's a different kind of fun... riding with the throttle wide open most of the time is something you can only do on a small bike like the cbr250r :) Enjoy it for what it is.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Honestly I feel the same way sometimes but I ride mostly on the street. The bike does everything I needed it to besides out run other bikes and sports cars. Obtaining the skills to ride better and safer is more important to me, then being able to out run vehicles when not necessary. I have already experienced a few situations where if I had a larger motorcycle I would of had an accident. There's a saying in my old unit and I'm sure its said else where "slow is smooth, smooth is fast." and "excellence in the basics" Id rather not have to learn the hard way since I've had enough of doing that being formerly in the marine corp.

Honestly I just think its an ego thing. I don't see a need to go 80mph+. It can probably be the better option sometimes to avoid a situation but I'm sure there are other options you can do to get out of trouble.

Just go with what you want most, probably better to ride a bike you like than one you dislike, ride responsible and safe. There's an article made back then about getting a 600cc as a first bike or as a new rider. I'll try to find it and give a link to it, maybe it can help you out in your decision.

·
Registered
636 Posts
The term Harley Snob seems to come to mind here, however the other day im sitting at a light and i got a wave from a rider on a Harley so painting all that way is a pretty broad stroke..and conversely i rode by a guy on a sport bike and no wave..i think that its the straw you draw so to speak when waving at fellow bikers..ride safe

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

First Bike, 600cc - Chicagoland Sportbikes

Here is the link, its very long and an old post but you should READ ALL of it, and new riders should take a look too. It's off topic from the orginal thread but figured it wouldnt hurt and I didnt want to make a new one. Hopefully this helps you out and any other new riders that are having doubts.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I get it both ways. But some guys probably look at at me the same way because I almost never wave first...still feels weird to me I guess, but getting used to it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts