Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Motorcycles and high miles

12K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  Turbo DV8 
#1 · (Edited)
Was checking out my local sports bike forums and lots of great bikes being sold with mileage in the teens and no biters due to mileage over 10k. Do you think a bike like ours will be really hard to sell once it hits over 10k since its a single cylinder and people will wonder since its a single the shelf life will be lower. Bikes are subjected to much higher scurtiny than cars with mileage.

#2 ·
a bike that is looked after and has regular maintenance will last alot longer than 10k miles.
As far as i am concerned 10k is a bike that is just nicely broken in.

On the Vespa forum there are bikes that have gone 50k-100k miles. People have posted pix of the odo. Same goes for the Burgman forum. I had a 150cc scooter that was at 30k km (~19k miles) when i sold it and was running like new.

my previous bike Piaggio X9 had 25k km (~16k miles) and it had plenty of life left.

so take care of your bike and you will have many happy miles well past 10k

#4 ·
194,000 km (120,000 miles) on my 14 year old 100 cc Honda. Engine overhauled top and bottom, at 170,000 km (@ less than $US200). Just coming good again, it should see 300,000 km..... and maybe 450,000 after another overhaul.

I have had it eight years; it was a rental for the first six years. All the bikes I have owned have done a good milage.

Keep the oil changed as scheduled, keep on top of other maintenance as required; don't ride at the limit all the time, and you can get a good long life out of most modern vehicles.

#8 ·
Since I put 4000 miles on mine in less than 4 months this year..I should easily do 6-8k next year...so this means my bike needs a new engine or a total rebuild in less than 4 years? that sucks if it is true....wonder how much that will cost for both engine options at $70 per hour labor the dealers charge + parts?

#10 ·
10,000 miles is about a year old with regular use, and not even at its 2nd annual service.
so you might get a few hundred $ less for it.

It aint an ornament. its there to be ridden and a waste if you dont get the miles out of it.

#13 ·
My 250R is not a museum piece, I ride it and will rack as many miles as it will go. Why get a bike and be concern with mileage and the what if's I don't get my much $$ back when I sell it.

Bikes are not a financial investment, at least not for me. You bought it now go out and Ride it.

aye, if i wanted to freak out about miles i would have leased a ford.

run it til it dies... buy another

#14 ·
I have never had issues with any japanese bike in 31 years of riding them.
I ride 15-20,000 miles EVERY year. My current 3 bikes now have a combined total of about 130,000 miles. No issues. Normal maintenance. Rock solid.
I sold a '02 R1 with 22,000 miles on it, with no problem, because the buyer saw my maintenance records, and saw how well I took care of it.
Same with the sale of a '92 V-Max that had 36,000 miles.

Keeping good records of every little maintenance detail goes a long way when its time to sell.

#15 ·
read the fine print and price: most 250's on craigslist and such have been dropped or are in need on parts replacement.... or they are simply asking too much. If u were buying a used bike.... even mint condition... would you pay $3000 for a 2011 cbr250r with even 6000 miles on it?

#16 ·
A bike with high millage is never a good selling point. The first question most people ask when shopping a used bike is how many miles are on it. Its really a wear indicator. However a bike that has had regular oil changes and has been taken care of will last a vary long time. I have sold some high millage bikes but they still looked like new

#17 ·
Buying a bike should not be considered an investment, if you truly enjoy actually riding it.
If that was a concern, then one would just purchase a Hardley...

#20 ·
I've only bought new when I couldn't find a reasonably priced used version. My wife always buys new to avoid "surprises". {in fairness, I have cussed a bunch about used bikes, especially a 1989 KLR250}

The 230L was my first new bike since 1967 (my other new bike).

With regular oil changes and other maintenance, the old Honda Rebels get over 75,000 miles before needing engine work. My wife will never get that many miles on hers. The water-cooled CBR250R should do even better (it even has an oil filter, the Rebels don't).

Personally, I'm waiting for a 300-pound (136-kg), water-cooled, ~400 cc enduro with 32-inch (813 mm) seat height as my next "street bike", but a used CRF250L (if they come to this country) would be an acceptable replacement for my NX250. The CRF250L uses the CBR250R motor.

#21 ·
Bikes will go down but to only a certain point. If you have it for a few years it's only going to be worth so much. It will never get to zero. But its only a ~$4,000 bike even with low mileage it's value is what it is.
However I just sold my fair condition 1983 Honda 250 for $850 (october) and there were many hot buyers (It lasted in the paper for 1/2 day). So a bike that gets great gas mileage will always be desireable and have a buyer. That is what is important.

#22 ·
My CX500 logged 156,000 miles until it began making an odd noise. I swapped the engine with a spare I had, and the noise remained. Turned out to be a baffle separated from the inside of the exhaust collector under the engine, rattling at certain temps/RPM's, reflecting off the ground and up the front of my fairing, sounding like it was coming from the top front of the engine. I still have the 156K mile engine, waiting to go back in the bike... if the second engine with 90,000 miles would just hurry up and give up. But I'm not holding my breath.

#24 · (Edited)
Hey, now you know that's not a fair question! :p I probably replaced a couple seals until it was determined that coolant with silicates are what wear out the seals. I haven't had a water pump fail in any of my bikes since using silicate-free coolants exclusively.

I should mention that I did have to replace a cam chain tensioner at around 89,000 miles, and the original stator at 120,000 miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.