Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I liked this part:
"The study found that aggressive riding increased risk by a factor of 18 while inattention or lack of skill increased it by a factor of nine. Combine the two, and odds of an incident increased by 30."

But the chance that street Rossi will see reason in that is nill....

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This astonished me:

"There were (30) crashes and (122) near-crashes (152 total CNC events)." Out of (100) riders!

Edit: I see that more than half of the "crashes" are bike drops at a standstill or low speed. Apparently motorcyclists drop their bikes a lot!

·
Super Moderator
2,027 Posts
It's still pretty bad. 15% means (if this is actually representative which I doubt) that the average American rider crashes every 6 years.
Have you been riding dirt bikes? Only once ever year would be a grand improvement for me!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Well, most American car drivers don't go 6 years without an accident either. The current average as of 2009 was apparently 17.9 years per accident (only by insurance CLAIMS filed, not actual incidents); a figure that I highly believe is quite inflated from the actual norm. Now that even more drivers from the millennial generation are on the roads, plus the increase in texting while driving since 2009, I imagine that figure will drop significantly.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Have you been riding dirt bikes? Only once ever year would be a grand improvement for me!
OK I forgot about dirt bikes. To me a guy dropping his dirt bike on a dirt trail isn't an accident but "normal procedure" that just happens. So I would not have included those in the report.:|

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
reading the revzilla observations of the report
my head kept nodding gently, throat saying "mmm"
and activating my own understandings from
many years of road riding..

subjects covered and member views reported
here and related forums show that there is
a common understanding among the global
motorcycling community on the various risks
and predictable situations we all face
as part of our motorcycling..

it is reassuring at least that there are now
some well designed studies to back up
the wisdom of combined experience
and good old common sense..

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's interesting that we as bikers talk about "cagers" and it's true they are a threat to us...but equally our own risk-taking and inattentiveness are just as great if not greater threat.

·
Super Moderator
2,027 Posts
Seriously, all incidents involving damage to bike or self were self-inflicted without a second party to blame. Sometimes I push the envelope too hard.

I had one incident where a car on my left, going the same direction, made a crossover to get an empty angle parking location. My left hand grip was wedged in his passenger door handle when we stopped, but the bike and I were undamaged.

>:)

PS If you let them get close enough to damage you, you were not paying enough attention to your surrounding conditions. Hence, it is always the riders fault.

Reactions: Stichill

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
the arguments have all been secured..
there is, a significant risk to riders
from cars and car drivers..

there are, risks in riding a motorcycle,
even when there are no cars about..

my single off - with no car involved -
was hitting road kill on a blind low traffic
mountain roads reducing radius corner [ridden
daily to work].. what odds a cat or wallaby
being flattened at that exact point...

motorcycle cornering leaning over
was the other risk component..
so we do have additional risk factors..
on the other hand i avoided a head on
with a semi thru an S bend which he
could do nothing to avoid, yet my motorcycle
could [just] fit bye scraping the armco..
so we have advantages in size and escape routes..

anyway, both sides of the riding risk coin
are real.. differences being in degrees
and specifics.. both realities remain..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts