Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Mushy Clutch/Can't Find First?

3K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  teemo 
#1 ·
First time it's happened, and maybe it's just cold weather, but on the way home tonight it was nearly impossible to get back to first gear at stoplights, and sometimes shifting itself was a major chore . . . it's only 40 (F), but . . . any thoughts? run into this before?

I posted the other day about the shifter pedal being loose, but that's not the issue, it's still solid the past couple days oddly enough. But, when rolling up to lights or stopped I tried going back to first while putting the clutch at all sorts of "all the way in" to "just barely in" , but most times I had to take off in 2nd or 3rd. Little troubling . . . advice/fixes much appreciated.

Thanks

#3 ·
Yeah, was getting that for a while, sometimes clutch seemed a little fussy, but this was just straight up not hitting first. I tried going up the gears and back down, everything. Every 6th stoplight I'd get lucky, but . . . could cold be causing it? Also rained here all day and the bike was out in it uncovered, but . . . not the first time for that.

Overall it's still ridable, but a little concerning that shifting has become weird. Also, since day one it's always kicked itself out of 2nd every so often . . . just figured that was me being a noob and not shifting up hard enough, but starting to wonder now . . .

#4 ·
When I took delivery of the bike my clutch had a bit of slack on it and I had that same issue. I learned that if I released the clutch slightly I would be able to get it into first just fine.

My local dealer adjusted my clutch at the first service to have almost no slack and I haven't had any issues getting the bike into first gear with the clutch lever fully squeezed ever since

#12 ·
. . could cold be causing it?

Not likely...you must have some other problem going on..I would make an appointment with my dealer as soon as possible..your still under warranty i will assume a diagnosis and repair shouldnt cost you anything other than being away from your bike for a few days

Also, since day one it's always kicked itself out of 2nd every so often . . .

I had that problem too every once in awhile....I adjusted my gear pedal lower (loosen the two 9mm lock nuts-spin shaft one way or another to raise or lower) I adjusted it like 3 times till i got it perfect...it hasn't popped out of a gear since ..my shifting is alot faster and smoother now too
Hope you get it worked out soon...not being able to get into gear on the road is a very serious safety issue

#5 ·
Yeah, again, it's always been kinda fussy at times, but definitely not like this. Was pretty much impossible to get it back to first, and sometimes wouldn't go past 2nd/3rd, though that was less of an issue.

Just not sure what I should be checking for. Clutch just too loose maybe? After the warranty service you just had to move it a millimeter and it was engaged, no travel at all really, but it's since gone loose-ish again, which was fine, but . . . not like this.

#6 ·
Use the adjuster (under rubber cover on clutch lever) to take up the slack.
If your clutch "all the way in" gets you 2nd, I'm thinking it should be able to get you 1st. Only a common sense guess if i'm honest.
What did they say when you told them about it at first service.

#10 · (Edited)
#13 ·
Thanks for the link man, digital versions are always nice! :)

Anyway, found the manual, thought I'd brought it in the house, but was under my seat (sigh). Anyway, I did some tightening at the clutch side of the cable, but no effect. I was also running late to work so I just deal with it today.

On the way home just now, took it by a shop (not a honda dealer) and his thought was that it seemed like it was missing a spring maybe. Sorry if I'm not explaining it correctly, but . . .it's kinda mushy and it there's not a clear delineation between gears like there's been before. Also doesn't "snap" into gear easily and when you usually hit first it doesn't want to travel further down - now it will go past perpendicular most of the time, maybe a little past 3/9 o'clock as if it's 4 or 8 o'clock instead. 1st to 2nd seems ok, but 2nd to 3rd you have to futz with it a lot. And same trying to get back to 1st still. Been a few times I had to roll out from a stop in 2nd or 3rd gear as I couldn't get back to 1st.

So, should there be a spring at the shifter assembly? Possible I lost one? Any pics I might be able to refer to and compare?

Gonna try to hit up the a local Honda dealer tomorrow, but I'm on limited time this week/end.

#14 ·
Turned out to just be a lubrication issue, or lack thereof. Mechanic suspected that it might not have been properly done at the factory, but basically . . . sorted. Just slow rode home in the snowslush and shifting between 1st/2nd/neutral was fine. Wasn't brave enough to take it to 3rd, but seems it's old self again.

They did notice a smash/hole in my header though (greeeaaat), so it'll be back in the shop soon to fix that up. Not sure how that happened, but wasn't dropped or anything so . . . road trash is all I can think, given the hole is right in the path of where the front wheel would've chucked something at it at speed. Shrug.

Anyway, thanks for all the thoughts/help.

~ slowly learnin' noob. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.