Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I was able, for the first time, to actually ride the new CBR250. My dealer knows I am holding out for an ABS equipped but allowed me to ride a non abs model. I will have to say, following my ride I was most seriously considering simply forgetting about abs and moving on this bike. So here it is: The bike, frankly, looks absolutely great, in some ways it is a work of art as well as engineering functionality. Fit and finish and materials are just excellent. The riding position is reasonably comfortable for my 6'1'' frame..the clocks are beautiful with your speed showing up in large easy to read digits requiring only a quick glance and the tack is easy to follow and large enough also. The CBR is amazingly maneuverable, light and confidence inspiring, it snicks through the gears with consummate ease..and brakes with ease and linearity with little front end dive. The suspension is firm but compliant and conveys what you want to feel but remains firmly planted. It comes off as well sorted despite its adjustment limitations. Engine mapping via the fuel injection is very linear..very smooth, not abrupt or jerky. Acceleration meets expectation. It is not quick but you won't be embarrassed or feel unsafe. Engine vibration is minimal..very acceptable levels and, in fact, it sings happily with wonderful moto machinery sounds in the mid to upper ranges. I think this is what I liked the best. It is clear that it will have to live at 5-9,000 rpms to keep things moving but it is happy to do so.
So what was I not so thrilled with? Well, for me, it seemed first gear is a little too low...and maybe second gear also. I think they designed it this way so riders who are learning clutch and throttle for the first time have an easier go at it...I would just tweek these two gears a little bit if I could. And the jet stream hits me a little low in the chest but this could be a good thing at speed and on a warmer day....Sixth gear is not for acceleration..one finds that out quickly..and I didn't want to wind out 4th and 5th enough on the dealers bike to find out what sixth will "hold" comfortably. I think anything uphill will surely require a quick downshift. Passing on a two lane at highway speeds will require your consideration and focus.
Bottom line: amazing fun machine that does everything pretty well. Yes, I did smile in my helmet. I want my ABS equipped CBR250RAB....in black please.

·
Registered
49 Posts
yes i do have to agree with you on the gearing, first is really short and find my self having to shift before before im finish my turn most of the time (which i read is not a smart thing to do, but im still learning)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think the gearing is fine for a bike that is meant to be used as a commuter, and often by novice users. Lower 1st and 2nd allow for easy take off and allow access to torque and power at the speeds where the bike will find itself often.

One of the things that really annoy me is the bikes boasting about their 'close ratio gearbox', with 1st gear good for nearly 160km/hr in some cases... Well bully for you - but close ratio gearbox makes sense for racing bikes that are meant to travel at almost full throttle most of the time, in the speed range between 'fast' and 'very fast'... it makes no sense at all for road bike that will in fact travel most of the time at only a fraction of what it can actually do. What does make sense for road bike is well spread out ratios and low gearing in lower gears so you can take off with lower revs, and travel in traffic without having to slip the clutch all the way - which is bad for the clutch, for your hand, and for your concentration and road craft!

At the upper side of the range it makes sense to have the 6th as a cruising gear, so you can get up to cruising speed then drop the revs and travel in more comfort and with lower fuel consumption at the expense of pulling power. If you need more pulling power for overtaking, or hills... well, then you drop down a gear or two - that is not a problem, that is what gearboxes are for!

·
745 Posts
Ditto on everything - I was very impressed with the bike. Really looking forward to putting a lot of miles on it.

Luke

·
Registered
36 Posts
Funny you guys bring up the gear ratio's. Some people i've spoken to said it's really awkward riding the bike since they have "weird" gear ratio's and these people were not use to that. I'm not even getting the bike yet since it's stuff like this that makes me think twice about making the purchase.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Start out in 2nd?

it seemed first gear is a little too low...and maybe second gear also. I think they designed it this way so riders who are learning clutch and throttle for the first time have an easier go at it...I would just tweek these two gears a little bit if I could.
Do you think 2nd is low enough to just use that to start off with?

·
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you think 2nd is low enough to just use that to start off with?
Well, that poses an interesting question. We need an owner, to try that out. Second gear is probably too high for easy engagement without excessive slipping? As noted by bigwill in his post above, you can hardly get through a turn at an intersection, from a standing start, without needing to upshift. Getting through or turning at an intersection requires enough concentration without having to shift too. Slightly higher gearing in first would allow staying in the gear a little longer, without excessive clutch slippage and still be easy to engage for beginners.....
Possibly the low ratios are just a function of the engine size and available torque early in the rpm range...and they are where they need to be......

·
Registered
129 Posts
honestly, because my bike is still 500 km (310 mil) i still very careful with my bike. i can feel what Xplorguy meant with very low gear on the 1st and 2nd and the first gear i only manage around 30kph (18 mph) before the engine vibrate for the first gear, but its not a problem cause in the end i could reach 155 kph (96,3 mph). i hope others doesnt have any problem. :)

·
Registered
928 Posts
I think the gearings fine, makes it fun to ride.
The wife had a GZ250 for her first bike. Its also a 250 single. It had none of the power the CBR has, so im assuming its the gearing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Testrode this bike today and Xplorguy's report is spot on. A very good bike for the money. Not quite physically big enough for me, but if they put this engine in a bigger frame I'll be the first down the dealers!

·
Registered
272 Posts
The low 1st & second suggest an extra tooth on the drive might be nice but it would raise 6th gear higher and give you even less up there. Or would it? It would bring the rpm down at the same speed when revved out possibly higher on the torque curve. What do you guys think?

·
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The low 1st & second suggest an extra tooth on the drive might be nice but it would raise 6th gear higher and give you even less up there. Or would it? It would bring the rpm down at the same speed when revved out possibly higher on the torque curve. What do you guys think?
Yea, one extra tooth on the drive would make sixth an even higher gear..not practical. Honda has made the gearing work for everyone..have to take into account varied riding conditions and loads...its all good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think not being able to accellerate fast enough can dcause an accident. When you have to take off with traffic behind, you, you need something powerful enough to move -- not hit 10n mph...then 15 mph....then 20....then 25....then 30 mph...then 35 mph when ypu hot 6th gear to actually move.

On the other habd, when the bike hits 6th gear, it does move pretty fast.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
0-60

I think not being able to accellerate fast enough can dcause an accident. When you have to take off with traffic behind, you, you need something powerful enough to move -- not hit 10n mph...then 15 mph....then 20....then 25....then 30 mph...then 35 mph when ypu hot 6th gear to actually move.

On the other habd, when the bike hits 6th gear, it does move pretty fast.
Do you think this bike is slow? 0-60 mph for the CBR250 is 8.5 sec which is just as fast as any normal car.

·
Registered
272 Posts
It looks like & sounds like this is a fairly wide ratio gearbox which is a very good thing.

The '08 V-star 250 I bought while I wait for my ABS CBR250R was terribly low geared in ALL 5 gears. I fixed this problem changing the 16/45 tooth sprockets to 17/38 and moved 4th gear to where 5th gear was & gained a 6th. 1st gear operates like it does on most bikes & is not too high at all. It still wants to be shifted to 2nd by 15-20 mph & 20 sounds revved out. I can maintain 75 mph at 6000 rpm in 5th. It used to be revving 7500 at that speed. Its also going to be my economy ride because I'm getting 80 mpg.

I tend to agree with Xporguy and the Honda engineers knew what they were doing low gearing 1st for easy beginner take offs & making the ratios wide enough to have a 6th that needs engaged after 5th is fairly revved out. No sprocket changes will be necessary.

When oh when will my CBR ever come in? :rolleyes:

·
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It looks like & sounds like this is a fairly wide ratio gearbox which is a very good thing.

The '08 V-star 250 I bought while I wait for my ABS CBR250R was terribly low geared in ALL 5 gears. I fixed this problem changing the 16/45 tooth sprockets to 17/38 and moved 4th gear to where 5th gear was & gained a 6th. 1st gear operates like it does on most bikes & is not too high at all. It still wants to be shifted to 2nd by 15-20 mph & 20 sounds revved out. I can maintain 75 mph at 6000 rpm in 5th. It used to be revving 7500 at that speed. Its also going to be my economy ride because I'm getting 80 mpg.

I tend to agree with Xporguy and the Honda engineers knew what they were doing low gearing 1st for easy beginner take offs & making the ratios wide enough to have a 6th that needs engaged after 5th is fairly revved out. No sprocket changes will be necessary.

When oh when will my CBR ever come in? :rolleyes:
Kutter, your 08 V-Star is a good example for what would happen to the CBR250 if you changed the drive sprocket by one tooth and leaving the rear sprocket as is. First and second gear would get a slight bump in speed over the ground while losing a little in power off the line......the downside would be 6th gear would be more anemic due to the lack of horsepower and you may not be able to hold your speed...resulting in more downshifts to 5th than desired. I'm sure the Honda engineers spent a lot of time both at the computer and with test mules geared differently to sort all of this out...resulting in the best ride for all conditions.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts