Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding my 250 since last September and my experience has been pretty cool.

I took my MSF classes a couple of months after I got it, which was pretty boring and didn't teach me much more than what I experience in everyday situations. I used one of their old Ninja 250s for the tests and overall it didn't feel took different from the CBR, but it was a PAIN in small tight slow cornering, so I learned sport bikes have a harder time than cruisers with that. However the instructor was impressed with my accelerating through a corner bit, as I made one of the fastest times shes recorded and suggested that I give racing a try, which made me feel good and has got me thinking to actually look into Motorcycle racing. :D

As for my experience after everything legal was settled, the bike has about 3,000 miles on it and I've taken it to the Honda dealership several times for maintenance when the oil needed changing, which I learned is pricey and I don't trust mechanics that won't let me watch them fondle my baby, so I've recently bought a paddock stand and has proven useful so far and plan to change the oil by myself with it when the time comes.;)

As for riding, I find the bike to be pleasing when I want it to be. I mostly use it as just transportation, but I often find myself just going out for a ride, which is great for me to make my own fun. Now I know I will get some flack for dangerous riding, but this thing is a blast to weave through traffic while speeding on the highways and I actually use my single lights when I do it (I don't ride rough with cars, I simply like maneuvering around them quickly when there's an opening). Cutting traffic is very exciting compared to simply going fast in a straight line, but I was surprised about a week ago when I was speeding down a highway I actually managed to reach 98MPH (I am 5'11 and weight about 145 pounds and waswearing light clothing of course) so close to redlining. It was very cool. By the way. I have yet to have any kind of accident! Lucky me!:cool:

I also recently took a short trip to Houston for the first time and used my bike. Boy was it a HORRIBLE IDEA. I ended up riding for about 6 hours in cold temperatures in the night with constant wind and vibrations blasting me the whole way. I actually exhausted and weak when I got to my destination. Won't do that crap again! :mad:

And I'm proud to have taken a friend a while back and taught him to ride a a motorcycle (using my bike) for the first time and he didn't crash. It took about 3 hours to get him riding and changing gears and riding with a passenger, but that's because I took my time in going through the steps, so that we wouldn't end up like those idiots in videos who just let their friend get on their expensive bikes and just tell them "this is clutch, brake, and gas. Now GO!" and then crashing ensues. :eek:

But of course there have been some problems as well. Well, two problems really. A few months ago to this day, the battery will some times just shut off when I try to start the bike, which I found I could fix if I simply slightly adjusting the positive cable, so I'm guessing the problem is the cable being positioned a certain way when pressured is applied on the seat.
The other problem I believe has to do with the engine itself and may have something to do with the valves getting checked, but anyway. For a short while now the engine would some times just shut off when its left idling for a while and I noticed that it would happen when the engine sometimes (when it's idle) begin to slightly sputter as when the RPMs are too low and I would also notice the lights on the bike would slightly dim back and forth as this happens, so I'll have to get the engine serviced soon. :confused:

If anyone has info on these issues, some feedback would be awesome.

And I just recently decided to use Premium gas only for my bike as I noticed that it just eats through regular. lol :rolleyes:

As for everything else. Riding is good and it helps me get to places that would otherwise be a pain, but it gets lonely. :(

And I guess that's all. Let me know what you guys think or don't. I just wanted to share my experience. :)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Premium gas shouldn't be doing anything for either mileage or performance. If you believe either is suffering I'd look for the cause elsewhere. I have no problem getting 80mpg out of 87 octane (US). Did the engine shut-off start happening before or after you switched to premium?
Congrats on the two-up. Not easy on any sport bike - even one like this. A friend took me to the dealer to get my bike after the 600 mile check on the back of her Z750. I live up a hill - 2000 vertical feet and hairpins over the 4-5 miles it takes to reach the bottom. Not fun and I don't think I'd attempt it on my little CBR! Not downhill anyway.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I started out putting premium in mine when i first got it..then switched to 87 after 3 weeks and started getting better mileage..Coincidence? you be the judge..

Haven't heard anyone with the same problems you described...your valves should have been checked at 600 miles..but its expensive, i know

·
Registered
501 Posts
I find that my CBR is great in small tight turns. It one of the best bikes i've had for slow tight turns. No problems with my bike as of yet. only 160 miles on it, if thats a problem:D

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
If you are getting better milage out of premium, it could be that it is gasoline, while the regular is gasoline / ethanol mix. Reading what the boffins say, gasoline has a higher calorific value than ethanol, so each gallon of gasoline is good for more miles.

Here in Thailand the government is keen on gasohol, so both regular (91) and premium (95) are available as gasohol. Most cars manufactured since the mid 90's are gasohol compatible, but it is only in the last five or six years that motorcycles manufactured here have been so. As a concession to the millions of older motorcycles still on the road (including mine), regular 91 is also available as gasoline, costing about about 12% more than gasohol.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Rider, where do you live? You might find a station that sells straight gas. I have found a couple here in Northeast Texas. I have 8k on mine and I use whatever I can find. TX.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
OP likes playing weaving thru cars, finds rider training boring, thinks cruisers are better at tight corners than small sporty bikes,

Good luck with all that.

·
Registered
385 Posts
FYI California's gas is a "boutique" blend which apart for being very expensive has ethanol and tends to generate a lot of complaints from people with fussy vehicles. Those living near the state border often go over the line to gas up. My CBR seems to have no problem with it. My old Nighthawk wanted premium.
Also - on the valve check - mine did need adjustment at the 600 and I ride it like an old man, mostly 4500-5500 rpms; never had it much above 8000 and then only for short periods. I only mention this because I heard here or elsewhere references to the need for an adjustment depending on the aggressiveness of the rider; that certainly wasn't the case with me.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I started out putting premium in mine when i first got it..then switched to 87 after 3 weeks and started getting better mileage..Coincidence? you be the judge..

Haven't heard anyone with the same problems you described...your valves should have been checked at 600 miles..but its expensive, i know
I concur...

I used premium and used to get around 105-120miles with 2.50-2.7 gallons. Now I get 140-150 with 2.4-2.5 Gallons.

·
1,305 Posts
OP likes playing weaving thru cars, finds rider training boring, thinks cruisers are better at tight corners than small sporty bikes,

Good luck with all that.

Aufitt,

on the MSF training, on the little 250 cruiser, the cornering is UBER easy.
even the really tight, looking over your shoulder, flip the bike around on a dime while in 1st **** required no balance at all... very easy, much easier then the sports bikes

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
I've owned a cruiser and find this cbr more maneuverable and corners like a dream. Nice and tight. Cruisers are bulky. Also, I would never, ever teach someone to ride motorcycles on my bike. Asking for trouble. They drop it they buy it is a nice policy but unless my friend is made of money....try and collect for the repairs. MSF courses are the way to go....no passing bad habits and students learn proper techniques in a safe enviornment. Riding dodgy in traffic is crazy, hope you didn't pass that "skill" onto your friend. Other than that, welcome to the lifestyle of the cbr owner:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts