Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So right off let me reference this:

http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-problems-issues/3257-month-old-cbr250-not-downshifting.html

My bike does down shift now, got a new clutch lever and had it tuned. Now the problem I am having is that I can't get it to downshift more than one gear at a time, no matter what. For instance, I'm in 3rd gear and the light switches to red, I can only down shift to 2nd then forced to rock the bike and get it to 1st. If I'm in 4th I have to hit 3rd, ride, 2nd, ride, then 1st.

Anyone experience this before?

·
Registered
706 Posts

http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-problems-issues/3257-month-old-cbr250-not-downshifting.html

My bike does down shift now, got a new clutch lever and had it tuned. Now the problem I am having is that I can't get it to downshift more than one gear at a time, no matter what. For instance, I'm in 3rd gear and the light switches to red, I can only down shift to 2nd then forced to rock the bike and get it to 1st. If I'm in 4th I have to hit 3rd, ride, 2nd, ride, then 1st.

Is this at a stop? Just asking because you make it sound like it is. Like I mentioned last time you cannot shift at a stop.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this at a stop? Just asking because you make it sound like it is. Like I mentioned last time you cannot shift at a stop.
Nope while moving, pull clutch in and downshift 1 gear then I have to let out of the clutch before I downshift again which means engine breaking which I'm not a fan of.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Nope while moving, pull clutch in and downshift 1 gear then I have to let out of the clutch before I downshift again which means engine breaking which I'm not a fan of.
I guess I make it a habit to engine break all the time so I am always letting the clutch out. It's a good skill to learn for emergency stopping because it is less likely to slide out on you like locking up the rear brake would. But on the rare occasion that I don't I still don't have a problem and posting on here wont really get you anywhere. The only real option is to complain to the dealer again.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I usually have the clutch in for emergency stops. Least amount of thinking. Clutch in, brakes on.

I don't engine brake a lot.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I usually have the clutch in for emergency stops. Least amount of thinking. Clutch in, brakes on.

I don't engine brake a lot.
Oops.... I know the difference... Just didn't proof read lol.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I engine brake *all* the time... every time I downshift coming to a stop... I think it's habit carried over from driving a shift (car) further north when I was going to school (eons ago) in north N.Y.... It was a safer way to slow down in snow, ice, rain. However, I *can* downshift in succession (when rolling to a stop sign), without letting out the clutch. So, that doesn't sound right...

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've had this problem as well but only from a stop. You could try letting out the clutch until it semi engages (like half way) and the pull it back in then downshift again. I end up doing that if I forget to downshift while coming to a stop. Personally I would get more into the habit of engine braking. It slows you down faster (accompanied by the brakes) and sounds cool when you do it well haha (yeah yeah cosmetic not functional) but isnt the point of having a clutch and a gear selector to sounds the most like a race car/bike? :D

·
Registered
306 Posts
It's a sequential gearbox. As the name suggest you can only engage the gear above or below. So if you are coming to a stop second is as high a gear as you should be in.
Try googling "sequential gearbox" understanding how your bike does what it does is the best riding education, other than riding it, you can get.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
It sounds like you are not letting the shift lever fully return to it's "at rest" position before trying to go to the next lower gear.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts

Yep its a motorcycle, one gear at a time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, its been a while and I gotta say I am still having this issue. It is very annoying and prevents me from enjoying this bike. First month was great, but since then the shifting is really, really aggravating.

Does anyone know of a fix? I do not like getting to a stop sign and trying to get to 1st from 2nd for 2 minutes, or worse a red light with a line behind me and taking off from 2nd hoping I don't let off the clutch to fast and it stalls.

I wish I could lemon law it and get my $4300 back.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You need to shift to first before you come to complete stop.

Take it to the dealer if that doesn't help. You have a warranty.
I understand that, that is where it sucks because it does not shift more than one gear then it gets all rubbery. I shift down then it let it bounce up go to shift again and nothing. I can go all the way to 6th no prob but I won't be able to go to 4th from 6th very easily, which as you can imagine makes riding anywhere a nightmare. It was totally fine the first few weeks then it started to happen occaisonaly now I am more surprised if I can get to 1st from 3rd!

I tried the dealer and they don't know what to do and don't seem like they plan to figure it out :(

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did you try letting the clutch out some? Are you pulling it all the way to the handle bar rubber grib. Try letting it out a little more and not pulling it all the way.

Yeah that was suggested so I've tried all he way depressed, 3/4, and 1/2 depressed and it hasn't had an affect.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ok. So let's say you are stopped in 2nd gear and want to get to 1st. Can you let out the clutch to the friction point, feel the motorcycle start to try to move, then pull the clutch back in and click the gearshift into 1st? If you can't do that, then something is wrong in my opinion.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok. So let's say you are stopped in 2nd gear and want to get to 1st. Can you let out the clutch to the friction point, feel the motorcycle start to try to move, then pull the clutch back in and click the gearshift into 1st? If you can't do that, then something is wrong in my opinion.
Haven't been able to get that to work either. I've given myself a lot of room to downshift and more often then not it won't. When I stop I'm stuck in 2nd trying to drop to 1st which causes me to roll off in 2nd at very low speeds. I've tried the rock back and forth, the let off the clutch while pressing down on the shifter.

·
Registered
501 Posts
When i come to a stop im in nuetral. Ready to slip in to first . Sometimes id hard to slip into first but thats just the kind of transmission it is.
Trade it in for scooter no shifting.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts