Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First I am not one to be a controversial topic started or talk about stuff like this, and I know This post Will leave piss soaked Wheaties in some members cereal bowls so I apologize , but I just got to say something , CHILL THE F OUT LOL

I have already read 3 topics since last night where members get all bent out of shape that some one ask a question that may had al;ready been answered like say 2 years ago lol.

It seems "1/3" of the members here get upset so easy ABOUT REPEAT POST TOPICS . I see people saying stuff to other members, like did you search the forum before you wrote this, who cares , help them and move on and don't be a dick head and I can't help but to read your comment and in my mind, your sounding like a old lady whining lol

I mean Good god who cares , really Man when I started riding my bike, I assumed people who rode sport bikes aka crotch rockets were chill and not so obsessed with silly stuff and I can't help but laugh at how upset they seem to get.

if someone writes something and if you don't like that it is a repeat of something already talked about LIKE 2 years ago then don't reply, no need to rip the member a new one for asking a Question. people will say well all they have to do is search the forum, they could search the internet too for that matter so if you all want to get upset over that then maybe the forum is a repeat of topics talk about on the internet and we shouldn't use the forum and just search the internet . seems to me at some point if we only search the forum and do not post then it will be a dead forum , let people ask questions for god sake !

then it seems some members get upset that someone brought a 2 year old topic back to life to ask a question, lol seems to me, your da:)mn if you do and Da:)mn if you dont lol

I am sure "1/3 "of you will disagree with me over this .

ANy ways all I want to say is CHILL OUT LOL and dont get so bent out of shape.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seriously ..... Did you even try to use the search ??? Lol
lol maybe I should have searched the forum to see if this topic was already covered , repeat of topics

I am being a bit of a instigator here I know

·
Registered
83 Posts
i definitely agree with you on this. some people get so bent out of shape. but i will admit i have seen some things people have posted that are pretty pathetic

·
Super Moderator
6,924 Posts
... seems to me at some point if we only search the forum and do not post then it will be a dead forum , let people ask questions for god sake...
Nothing wrong with asking questions Billy... at the same time, if someone wants to know something about Leo Vince exhausts, for example, there must be at least 30 existing threads about LV slip-ons. Easy enough to pick one of those threads and ask the question in that thread. Exhausts for the CBR250R are not like iphones or computers, they don't change or become obsolete every six months... info posted a year ago on an LV slip-on is just as valid today as it was when it was first posted. Ditto for 'How to change the oil & filter' or 'What's the the best oil for the 250R'... there is simply no reason to start new threads on topics like these. It's not that hard to dig up the existing thread and post your question there, especially when some of these threads are at the top of the forums as stickies.

... then it seems some members get upset that someone brought a 2 year old topic back to life to ask a question, lol seems to me, your da:)mn if you do and Da:)mn if you dont lol...
I haven't seen anyone getting bent out of shape because someone bumped an old thread to the top of a forum by adding a new post... can you cite an example of this?

... Any ways all I want to say is CHILL OUT LOL and dont get so bent out of shape.
For a member to suggest that another member use the search function for information that already has dozens of existing threads, doesn't mean they are 'bent out of shape'. For example, I recently suggested that a member check through the Parts & Accessories forum for info on saddle bags & mounting systems. Why?... for one reason, there is a lot of very good information already existing in that forum which other members who have hands on experience spent a fair amount of their valuable time writing detailed info on the subject... and two, Saddle Bags is a subject that is fairly specialized. You're not going to find a whole lot of members here who have their bikes set up with full luggage, so someone who starts a new thread on the topic may not get much in the way of replies based on who happens to see their thread or happens to be online at the time.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have no problem with members who have at least made some kind of attempt to search for a topic and then have decided to ask for help when they've come up empty. There are a lot of issues discussed on this forum and many threads run real deep. Occasionally I will search for a topic that I remember from some time ago using key words that I thought were unique to the thread - and it still takes considerable time and effort to find what I'm looking for (I and too come up empty at times). So I can sympathize. But I inadvertently learn something in the process. In the course of searching for a topic, I end up learning a lot by browsing some topics that might be related to the topic I'm curious about. Even if I don't find my answer - I've actually learned something! I end up learning more about motorcycles and riding in general - and gain insight into the knowledge and experience of some of the more eminent posters on this forum.

I think it might be more appropriate for a member (new member?) to begin such a thread by writing something like: "I've searched this forum for _____ topic and for some reason I haven't been able to find the information I'm looking for. Can someone with more knowledge of this forum help lend me a hand? Perhaps post a link or lead me in the right direction?" This kind of request seems both considerate and respectful to me. And if I CAN help - I'd really feel compelled to do so.

With that said - in my humble opinion - I find it rather disrespectful to other forum members - and the overall culture of any online forum - as a new member - to ask a question that is remarkably easy to find using a quick, simple, and easy search. Does it upset me? No. And it probably doesn't upset relatively new members either - as they haven't had to witness these kind of requests with nearly as much frequency as the senior members here. It's easy for newer members to forget this.

In my experience - forum communities thrive on a nice balance of give and take. And it's disrespectful to join a community sporting a stout sense of entitlement that includes expecting others to serve you graciously - even when the topic has been asked and addressed repeatedly - and it seems like the question is straight-forward and innocuous. When you visit a new country or new community in your country that shares a different culture than yours do you make an attempt to learn a bit about the culture? Do you make some attempt to speak the language and show respect? Are you polite and respectful toward members of this culture? Or do you have no interest? Do you immediate start making demands and then when your demands aren't met politely you become angry and disparage the group because you don't want to put in the effort to learn about them and their values?

It reminds me of Pink Floyd's song "Have A Cigar". Apparently, the song was written about their experience with the "business end" of recording contracts. A "suit" says to them "Well, I've always had a deep respect, and I mean that most sincerely. The band is just fantastic, that is really what I think. Oh by the way, which one's Pink? No interest or effort toward learning about the band.

For some members - they'd prefer to say "Give me the facts. I don't really care to learn more about this forum and the members who frequent it. All I want is some information and I want it now, and I have no patience if you won't serve me with a smile and not approach my question with the utmost courtesy. If you don't respond to my first post in a way that's to my liking - I will also respond with immediate anger, outrage, and startling indignance - further revealing that my initial disrespectful topic request didn't arise out of pure chance.

Mike

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
at Mike , you wrote this > 'What's the the best oil for the 250R'... there is simply no reason to start new threads on topics like these. It's not that hard to dig up the existing thread and post your question there, especially when some of these threads are at the top of the forums as stickies.

Well we all could also search the internet google for the same answer and there would be simply no reason to have this forum at all then ! If forum members want to discourage questions being asked because they were asked before in this forum and the senior members want to encourage searching the forum for answers, then it serves no more of a purpose then google does and there is the Q, why even have the forum if members are going to say search the forum, hell search google then and get the same answers in most cases I bet !

I am not trying to be nasty but you all need to stop using the response to search the forum, if members wanted to search for a Q then they could use google to do that. It just makes this forum hostile when members act that way

Also yes I seen members ask why are old topics being brought up again like we just killed their grandmom, don't tell me you have never seen a member be a bit upset a old topic was brought up again

There is a difference in replaying to someone topic and saying this saddle bag could work for you and also you can also search the forum for more answers to what saddle bag works best, but I read some who simply say, could you please search the forum and not post a new Q here. sorry that is a hostile response

Also i just used saddlebag as a example ! it could be oil filters, tire questions etc

·
Super Moderator
6,924 Posts
So let me ask you this Billy... what is the point of having stickies?

Or for that matter, what is the reason for having any threads on this website archived?

Would these forums be more useful if every thread were just deleted after a few days, that way we can all just start new threads just to rehash the same old "same old"?

Your argument that people shouldn't use the search function, or scroll through existing threads in the various forums to find info, sounds a bit like you're defending laziness.

The way I see it, if a person has the time to be online and active on this site, they obviously have the time to make an effort to do a little bit of research before starting a new thread that has very likely been covered previously in number of other threads.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"Your argument that people shouldn't use the search function, or scroll through existing threads in the various forums to find info, sounds a bit like you're defending laziness

I never said they should never use the search forum, I said members should not get bent out of shape and say search the forum and don't ask us a question already here that has already been ask here...

I am not defending being lazy, I discouraging being hostile

·
Registered
529 Posts
at Mike , you wrote this > 'What's the the best oil for the 250R'...
Are you referring to me? I can assure you that I have never posted a question asking "What's the the best oil for the 250R". But I must admit that it sounds like a really good, original question that nobody else has likely thought to ask.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
6,924 Posts
Are you referring to me? I can assure you that I have never posted a question asking "What's the the best oil for the 250R". But I must admit that it sounds like a really good, original question that nobody else has likely thought to ask.

Mike
Billy was referring to my previous post, where I was using "What's the best oil for the CBR250R?" as a classic example of a question that only has been asked a few dozen times here... the redundant threads asking questions of which the answers are clear as day and in black & white in the Owner's Manual are my all time favorites.

http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-service-maintenance/28497-engine-oil-thread-index.html ... Clearly we don't have enough of these threads. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I honestly have no idea where the OP is trying to take this.

Any forum you go to where the same question is asked over and over and over until you are blue in the face will tell you to use the search function. There are so many great topics on the forums that the posters are no longer active, and no longer post here, but the information there is great information and can be found by just searching.
People post new topics about the same exact thing that has been asked tons of times then its just pointless since they could of found the answer by just looking around. Instead they are just lazy and want other people to look for them.

I also find it really sad the only topic you brought up is the one MotoMike was in on the oil thread.. No we don't have enough oil topics as is.. Now maybe if some new oil came out and someone made a topic about it, that is one thing, but asking what the best oil to use in a bike is plain out retarded and the owner really should be riding more than worrying about what is best to use. Oil is freaking oil, and everyone has their own selection, there will NEVER be a time everyone will agree on a best oil to use, More less have a way to prove its the best.

Anyways, Not sure where the OP is trying to go with this, but I find it pretty dang funny.

Didn't know someone telling someone to use the search function because its there for a reason meant they were "bent out of shape" as you say.. You must not of ever been active on too many forums...

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
billy - responded to a question today on whether or not
the guy had fitted his oil filter properly, by advising him
to use 'oil change' in the search box..

this was because his description of what he was afraid of
about how he installed his filter didnt give an info on
how he installed it or other clues as to what might
have caused the things he was afraid of..
no point just giving him guesswork..

also, being his first oil change, and having doubts
i thought it best to direct him to diy videos and
other member hints on this specific subject..
there may be other things he should know
not raised in his questions..

ie, this was a short, direct, helpful response..
sending him directly to all the information..

he said he had searched, but couldnt find anything..
knowing theres heaps of excellent information
stored here, giving him a search key for that
specific information was a direct response
to him 'searching but not finding anything'..

cant help but be amused by your SHOUTING
[writing in capital letters] about others getting
upset about posts..
its like the bloke dying of apoplexy
one bloke telling another that
'he went into a rage about
people getting angry'
:)

this is a community of like minded people
sharing a common interest and lifestyle
centered here around honda cbr250r
and motorcycling generally..

my take on this is that members here
tend to be genuine motorcyclists and
good citizens from societies around
the world, often going out of their way
to be helpful to novices and others..

remember mate, just as others may ignore
repeated requests for the same information
so you may also ignore other members'
responding to those showing disrespect..
no-one, is forced to enter this site
or to respond to anyone on it..

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

Mike
motomike i believe is who i was talking too..Listen I was just trying to suggest you all be a bit kinder. Do what you all want but what i said has merit. Try to be kinder and just answer the person Question if you can, no need to say "all you have to do is search the forum and there was no need for a new post on that" those kind of comments are hostile imo !

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
motomike i believe is who i was talking too..Listen I was just trying to suggest you all be a bit kinder. Do what you all want but what i said has merit. Try to be kinder and just answer the person Question if you can, no need to say "all you have to do is search the forum and there was no need for a new post on that" those kind of comments are hostile imo !

Hi Billy, if you find those sorts of comments hostile then I urge you for your own sake to stay away from other (non moderated) MC online forums. A very thick skin armed with a dry wit is a minimum requirement to participate in those forums. Given the wide ranging types of members our 250 attract I think the mods here do a great job fwiw and we should be a little more appreciative for the time and effort put they put in.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hi Billy, if you find those sorts of comments hostile then I urge you for your own sake to stay away from other (non moderated) MC online forums. A very thick skin armed with a dry wit is a minimum requirement to participate in those forums. Given the wide ranging types of members our 250 attract I think the mods here do a great job fwiw and we should be a little more appreciative for the time and effort put they put in.

LOL , WOW Really you all need to stop getting your panties in a wad over a simple suggestion to try to a be a bit more friendly . Some of you may think you're not being unfriendly and that is fine, but it is my humble opinion sometimes members can be harsh to other members who post a question asked before.

LOL Also , No I am not offended by anything a person say or does to me on this site and no this post has nothing to do with anything a member said or did to me, all I wanted to do, was simply point out something that could be changed for the greater good of all, it is up to you all to humbly accept the creditism or go on and act the way you all have been .

I always try to be non controversial on this forum as this is my first post ever with creditism. As I said before, there is simply no reason to get upset with members and say search before you ask a Question and the creditism was a simple suggestion to make the forum better, choice to take it or not.

How ever, some of the replies to this post has proven a point in general, how hostile members can be on here ! lol peace to all you. do what you all want and no I am not offended by what any of you think ! I know my reason was based on helping the forum only and i feel no shame or guilt for trying so your words dont offend me personally..

I am not sure how much more clear I can make it, the post was a simple simple suggestion to make the forum a better place for all

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
This is too controversial for me.

I'll stick to 'Circumcision of infants without medial issue should be illegal and a human rights crime' type topics on other forums.
well :p there will be some infant when grown up will thank you , i THINK LOL

Honestly i didn't think I would had created such a stir over this , Had I known it would I would had never posted this ! My intentions were well meant lol, but it seems they have become a monster of serts !

1 - 20 of 33 Posts