Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,
About a month ago I crashed my bike going over 100 km/h.
What happened was I was trying to over take from the shoulder and went over a big peace of wood following which I had a high side and a long long slide on the pavement.
I was wearing full gear and thus was relatively unharmed the only serious injury was a major scraped knee basically to the bone. because i was only in jeans and no shin guards.

I've attached a couple of pictures.

I'm fine now and just waiting for my replacement jacket.

Attachments

·
Registered
464 Posts
Ouch !
Good job that you were wearing all the gear - i see so many people riding in shorts tee shirt and thongs (flip flops).
The 2nd photo shows that full face helmets are a must!
Padded pants next?
Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
493 Posts
You're saying you passed somebody in the shoulder of a road?

Glad you made it out ok. Make sure to buy a new helmet now. It's highly recommended after an impact.

Stay safe! :cool:

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Good to see you made it through relatively unscathed considering the speed involved.
Many lessons learned here: Full face helmut (don't fix, replace), leather jacket, jeans....well??? not a great protection but better than shorts...; but the big one here......NEVER EVER over take/pass on the shoulder!!!!

No need to say more. Thankfully you're all sorted out and sharing this experience with us today.

·
1,305 Posts
yeah, full face is a chin/nose saver for sure ... ****.

interesting to see that even through you slid on the left side... both the indicators are still there

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, full face is a chin/nose saver for sure ... ****.

interesting to see that even through you slid on the left side... both the indicators are still there
The rear one was broken and the front one is somewhat scratched on the underside.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The shoulders here are paved not gravel or something like I see on some videos on youtube.
Trying to overtake on the shoulder at the speed I was going was fully retarded by me.

I've got a new helmet, just waiting for my leather jacket and shin guard.

The knee is almost fully healed. I cant wait to go back on the bike.

Thanks for the support !

·
Registered
999 Posts
I don't consider jeans to be normal gear. They're much too thin and their abrasion resistance isn't much better than skin. That being said it's better than shorts or slacks and I'm glad you came out relatively harm free.

There's an old saying in the states:
The left side is the passing side. The right side is suicide.
This is of course reversed for areas that you drive in the left lane.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Sorry for the get off. I am glad that the jacket and helmet saved you from any major trauma. Perhaps some protection for the legs would be good for the future. YOu didn't mention anything about boots. I think that's just as important, if not more, as the pants. If it's too hot, find something with good air flow.

There's an old saying in the states:
The left side is the passing side. The right side is suicide.
+1 on not passing on the right. Not to mention passing on the shoulder, paved or not paved. tsk tsk tsk...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
YOu didn't mention anything about boots. I think that's just as important, if not more, as the pants. If it's too hot, find something with good air flow.
Is it really necessary for my daily commute ? Riding boots are even more rare than shin guards I rarely see anyone using those.

Who here rides with boots ?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Really considering everything you came out of this pretty good. Hope you learned something from the experence. Good luck down the road be safe

·
1,305 Posts
i wear high shin sports bike boots all the time... and i mean all the time

literally....

i wear them to work in the morning and i take them off when i get home.

so roughly 11 hours a day....

·
Registered
206 Posts
Shift Enforcer Knee Guards - webBikeWorld
I think I paid less then 20 maybe even 12 dollars. They fit well and I got bulbis legs, I have worn them on the outside of the pants for a whole season and they seem to be holding up well. You might want to look in to them.
Oh and they do make them in flat black

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Wear full gear, head to toe--Full face helmet, in which I'm following the rule to replace after 4-5 yrs or after crash. Thankfully I don't fall into the latter category. Leather jacket with armour and sometimes my mesh/kevlar jacket with full armour. Riding kevlar pants and I admit that sometimes I wear riding denim:eek: Always, always wear riding boots as well. I never venture on a ride "without the gear"! I would feel unsafe, vulnerable and naked. To have an attitude that "it won't happen to me", or, "it's a short ride" are thoughts of fools.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Is it really necessary for my daily commute ? Riding boots are even more rare than shin guards I rarely see anyone using those.

Who here rides with boots ?
Helmet, gloves w/ urethane knuckles, aerostitch suit and alpinestars leather boots are what I wear every day. I wish I ordered a larger suit so I could fit a spine protector and velcro hip pads in the suit. The only time I don't wear all of it is when I'm riding around my cul de sac. Anyone want to wager on when I'll go down and wish I had my gear on? ;)

Don't skimp on safety gear, just get the best. You'll have it for a lot longer because it is good quality.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts