Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back into riding motorcycles after 30 years. I had two motorcycles in my teens, but a bad accident at 16 caused me to swear off motorcycles for life. Well, I think 30 years is long enough of a wait and I came to realize that the best way to overcome my fears was to face them head on. Additionally, I have missed both the thrill and excitement of riding a motorcycle. My only son's in college now, my life is settled, so now's the perfect time to get back on the proverbial saddle.

I liked the look of the 2011 Honda CBR250R at first sight. It is very sporty and very reasonably priced. I went to my local dealership early last month and put a $400 deposit on the bike sight unseen. Unfortunately, I was unaware at the time that this particular model was a new release and had not yet made its way into the American market. I waited for what seemed an eternity and realized my wait would be a long one. Additionally, numerous conversations with colleagues who currently own motorcycles gave me pause and allowed me to rethink my choice of a motorcycle.

After much thought and completely losing my patience, which is short in general anyway, I requested a refund of my deposit on the CBR250R and last week purchased a 2011 Honda Shadow Phantom instead. I couldn't be happier and now realize in my heart of hearts that I made the right choice.

There are other motorcycles available as you well know. I'm glad now there is the wait because it allowed me to purchase a bike that's more suited for me; however, if you are patient and can wait it out then the best of luck to you!

·
Registered
147 Posts
never seen a phantom ,do u have any pics of your bike?I will check out the honda website now to see the phantom,while i wait to check out yours.thanks

·
Registered
256 Posts
I am going to test ride a non-abs Tuesday. Sat on it a couple of times and it seems perfect. Went to look at a lot of bikes Sat. Aprilias, Ducatis, Moto Guzzis, Kaws etc. I actually think the phantom or guzzi v7 classic would be my second choice. The phantom is really nice. After looking though I was only reinforced that I want to wait for the cbr. The only question is will I be able to wait for the ABS once I have a test ride on the non???? The only negative thing I have to say at all about the cbr is that compared to some of the other bike it does feel a little bit "toy" or scooterish but not even necessarily in a bad way even. That is probably one thing that gives it such a big fun factor. And I don't really even mean size wise, just kinda how it felt. Of course it is less than half as much as most of those bikes. I will report back when I get my test ride. Hope I get to take it out of the parking lot, lol.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wow, you chose a very different bike. If you think it suits you better, then it's probably just as well you didn't get CBR250! Whatever you ride, ride safely and enjoy :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have been debating the same thing myself. The phantom reminds me of the new Sportsters with the fat front tire. However there is about $3500 difference between the cbr and the phantom.

·
281 Posts
I am going to test ride a non-abs Tuesday. Sat on it a couple of times and it seems perfect. Went to look at a lot of bikes Sat. Aprilias, Ducatis, Moto Guzzis, Kaws etc. I actually think the phantom or guzzi v7 classic would be my second choice. The phantom is really nice. After looking though I was only reinforced that I want to wait for the cbr. The only question is will I be able to wait for the ABS once I have a test ride on the non???? The only negative thing I have to say at all about the cbr is that compared to some of the other bike it does feel a little bit "toy" or scooterish but not even necessarily in a bad way even. That is probably one thing that gives it such a big fun factor. And I don't really even mean size wise, just kinda how it felt. Of course it is less than half as much as most of those bikes. I will report back when I get my test ride. Hope I get to take it out of the parking lot, lol.
Hey, CBRSTL: I demo rode this past saturday and put a ride report on the performance forum.. "6.5 Mile Demo Ride". I would appreciate if you would review my report and then do your own for comparison....I must say the bike is a lot of fun for the money. I, so far, am holding out for abs.............it was VERY tempting to take that blk cbr non abs home with me...I had my checkbook with me.....hope you read this before your ride on tuesday!

·
Registered
147 Posts
im soo pissed,just left my dealer,he said he just found out there is no date for the abs,he said maybe end of summer.after he told me may 15th,wtf,now im looking on craigslist for a buell xb9s--maybe,i might just say screw it and get a zuma or a ruckus and modify the **** out of it:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:india has plenty of the abs version,honda is on my s--t list right now,but i love the look of that ruckus

·
281 Posts
Lew, what is that bad boy! I think it looks great...I like the design of the handlebars ! Good luck to you and Wheels Down.........

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's the breakdown for my 2011 Phantom:

Motorcycle - $7,399.00
Doc Fee - $0.00
NC Sales Tax - $221.97
Registration - $59.00
------------------------
Total - $7,679.97

It's more than the CBR250R, almost twice as much, but it's worth it. Honda's got a great promotion going on right now which is 1.99% financing for up to 36 months, 2.99% for 48 months, or 3.99% for 60 months.

I did my homework and shopped around the area where I live within a 60-mile radius. The dealer I chose had the best price coupled with the best online reviews. It really pays to shop around!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts