Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a nail (screw actually) in my tire. I dont know if I should get it plugged or replaced completely. Also, anyone know of a respectable place in So-Cal I can my bike to? Thanks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I replace it should I do both front and rear? Also, can anyone recommend good grippy tires (might as well upgrade if I'm replacing)?

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
Ouch... Others may disagree, but I would never patch a sport bike tire. Its just not a good idea. I'm sure you will find that any reputable motorcycle shop won't do it either, due to their liability exposure. An FYI: you can get a set of Michelin Pilot Road 2's for less than $250.00 from online suppliers. I've got a set on the way, and I'm looking forward to trying them out.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'd plug it too. There's lots of people running around with plugs and they're fine. Your's is smack dab in the middle of the tire too so you're more than safe to plug it. And I agree with the not in a sport bike too but this isn't a sport bike, it's a sporty looking bike. This thing won't even hit 100mph with a good tuck! This bike isn't going to generate the heat or forces of a true sport bike.

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
A plug would certainly be better than a patch, which would be way more sensible than a new tire. Your only trusting your life to four square inches of where the rubber meets the road... what harm could a little plug do? :rolleyes:

Maybe if you offer to put the plug in, and throw in $10.00, spdklls will swap rear tires with you... that would be a sweet deal for one of you.:D

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
I'd plug it too. There's lots of people running around with plugs and they're fine. Your's is smack dab in the middle of the tire too so you're more than safe to plug it. And I agree with the not in a sport bike too but this isn't a sport bike, it's a sporty looking bike. This thing won't even hit 100mph with a good tuck! This bike isn't going to generate the heat or forces of a true sport bike.
So by that reasoning a tire failure at say 75 mph on a "sporty looking bike", wouldn't be nearly as bad as a tire failure at 75 mph on a "true sport bike"?

Wow, I've got so much to learn about these little CBR's... here I thought that they were in fact real motorcycle's... what a fool I am!:eek:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Greetings MotoMike,

What kind of Repair Facility did you own and operate?

·
Registered
534 Posts
What's crawled up your a** lately motomike??? You've been a real d*** in a lot of recent threads with your know it all attitude and treating people like they're morons for disagreeing with anything you post. First of all it's on the rear tire which is MUCH easier to control if it went flat. Also if the plug doesn't work it's not like the tire is gonna explode into a million pieces, it'll just gradually go flat. My god it must be incredible to have so much freaking money that you can just go buy a brand new tire everytime you pick up a nail or screw. And what I was getting at about the sport bike comment is that our bikes running down the road at 60-70mph isn't gonna generate the heat or stress that a SS bike will running 150+mph. High heat and stress are what's gonna kill a proper plug job.

What ever your problem is you need to get over it though.

Reactions: Tim_Ky

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just had to plug my rear tire with less than 450 miles on it last week. Went to the autoparts store, bought the plug kit, followed the instructions and 1 week and 125 miles later, holding pressure like a champ. Took it on the highway up to about 85 in some places with no adverse effects

·
Registered
534 Posts
In my younger dumber days (still pretty dumb though lol) I had a car up to around 140mph on a plugged tire.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. I had a chat with a friend who has been biking for over 30 years (motocross, super sport, everything)...when I said I was thinking about getting a new tire he just burst into laughter. He recommended a place for me to go plug it and said dont even give it a second thought. He told me that there was no way I was gonna get that tire hot enough to worry about the plug and even a poor job would just result in a slowly deflating tire and not some uncontrollable pop.

Long story short I will get it plugged in the next couple days and re-post in a week or two after I had the chance to commute/highway/canyon it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's your life. If you're comfortable riding around on a tire that could blow out, go for it.

The term blowout refers to a catastrophic failure of the tire. Like the tread seperating from the sidewall. A puncture of this nature wont cause a seperation like that. If it did, it would happen as soon as you hit the screw. If the plug were to somehow fail, air would escape the tire and it would go flat. The 29 psi of air wont cause this massive rupture that you see when an 18 wheeler tire with a considerable more pressure and weight goes out.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yeah but after you ream the hole the screw was in in preperation for the plug it will be ever so slighty bigger. So if the plug did let loose it may not *POP* but it is going to deflate quickly. From experience I had a small hole in a tire (picked up a nail I guess...then lost it as I never saw the nail only the hole that was left behind) and it went flat as I was rounding a series of esses along a riverbank...long story short you might be right about riding out a flat on a straight road but I remember "puckering up" as the cars in the other lane wizzed by while I had severly reduced control. To each thier own...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts