Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to work this morning and I noticed a nail in my rear tire.

Suggestions on what to do? Is putting a tire plug in safe?

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Plug it if its not in the tread groove or on the edge.

Ive ridden on plugs to the life of the tyre and done 285kph on them.
Have also seen a plugged tyre done a burnout down to nothing and it still hung in there.
Some tyre dealers will tell you otherwise to make a sale but many will plug it as well.

·
Registered
455 Posts
use it as a sign that you need to order some BT-003 and hit the twisties

·
Registered
426 Posts
those rubber snake plug kits work great. Used it in my old 150cc scooter. For my peace of mind tho i would just use the plugged tire to get me to dealer for a new tire. Would not want to chance a blow out at hwy speed for the small cost of a new tire.

·
Registered
389 Posts
That's good info. I got a nail in my front, but i ended up just replacing the tire. So i got a spare that i can plug.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought a rear tire.

I'm gonna need it eventually anyways and I won't get time to do the tire for at least a week or two. Will post a pic of the nail when I'm not lazy enough to pull my phone out of my tank bag.

I'll plug it for now and ride it. The hole is small and pretty much smack dab in the center. I doubt the plug will fail.

Actually I'll need to keep the nail in for now and inflate it as need be before riding. I need to go get the tire plug kit from my parent's house. Plus all my tools, etc. are there.

·
Registered
534 Posts
those rubber snake plug kits work great. Used it in my old 150cc scooter. For my peace of mind tho i would just use the plugged tire to get me to dealer for a new tire. Would not want to chance a blow out at hwy speed for the small cost of a new tire.
Even if the plug failed it's not gonna cause a blow out. It'll just leak itself flat and being on the rear it's not a huge ordeal. Granted it could leave you stranded which would suck.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
I got a screw through the front tire shortly after buying the bike.
I now have around 10,000 km on plugged front.
New tires have been ordered and should be in soon.

·
Registered
426 Posts
that really is a small nail - did the tire go flat? looks like it is almost self sealing.

my first flat on my 150cc scooter was in a mall parking garage. pulled up to parking spot and started to back in. And WTF, feels like i am in sand. park and look at bike. rear tire flat. could not see the cause at first. a closer look i found a inch long piece of metal in the tire btwn treads. Dig it out and it turns out to be an inch wide by inch long piece of snap off exacto knife blade.

the strangest flat was on my pedal bike. I have a rack with saddle bags. riding along i hear a pang sound, something bounced btwn the saddle bags following by a grinding sound. Stop and look. rear tire flat. hit a roofing nail that panged btwn the bags and was shot thru both sidewalls of the rear tire.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tire hasn't gone flat yet...

Haven't plugged it as of yet and I will do it when I get a chance. Work + school have been keeping me busy.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Went down from 33 PSI to 22 PSI.

The nail wasn't even a complete nail. It was a blunt broken piece of a nail.

Anyways, my roomate got his patch kit from his car and we patched it in about 5 minutes. Quick and simple.:)

Here's a pic....

·
Registered
37 Posts
To each their own, but I would never ride on a patched tire personally. It seems like many on here have had good luck with it, but in my mind tires aren't expensive enough to risk safety.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Good call getting a new tire. Plugs are a great temporary fix. They work well most of the time...not good enough for a long-term fix when unexpectedly losing pressure can leave you stranded or worse.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Pic in 3..2..1..

Looking at those chicken strips , there is no danger of plugging that tyre lol.

You could put KFC out of business.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts