Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently joined this forum. I am from India specifically Pune, Maharashtra. Techie by profession.
I got a preowned 2011 C-ABS CBR250R that has done 36k KMs.
I call her "Red Queen".
The decision to buy this bike was an impromptu one more like heart over mind. I will be using this thread to post regular updates on red queen.

The previous owner had done the basic service of oil, oil filter, disc pads and coolant topup before handing it over to me.

I rode the bike almost 125miles or 200kms to my place. The bike accelerated with two people on-board as expected and I was able to maintain decent speeds 80-90kmph. It returns somewhere around 32-35kmpl fuel economy.

There were some initial observations/issues/niggles as below,

1. Front brake response is not quite upto the mark. May be the new pads need to bed in or it can be issue with master cylinder.
2. The radiator fan does not starts on its own causing the bike to heat up in bumper to bumper traffic. At cruising speed the temp hardly rises above 3 bars.
3. The ignition lock has got some free play and rotates a full 360 degree if you just insert the key slightly and try to rotate it. It works as expected on full key insertion.
4. The seats have hardened. Might need cover or cushion replacement.
5. Tyres needs to be upgraded.
6. Will be putting in stock indicators/blinkers back on. The rear one are broken and front is some aftermarket flush sitting one which I dont like.
7. Some cone set issues are there.
8. Rapid downshift from higher gears sometimes does not happens. I have to step down gears sequentially. Like "6th gear down-clutch release-clutch in-5th gear down-clutch release-...". There are no issues in upshifting though.
9. False neutral might occur sometime.
10. A broken body panel. (The one between tank and the big fairing)

The bike is with my mechanic to sort out above issues. Main issues that are being targeted are Radiator Fan - Front Braking - Downshifting. The mech is pretty confident that these are minor niggles and can be sorted out easily. I will post more updates tomorrow once I hear back from him.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

· Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
1,075 Posts
R.Q. Welcome to the forum. The forum is old (sinc 2011), so an advanced search in the forum's search engine can be very helpful.
I looked at the picture you downloaded to here. What a beautiful motorcycle.
Check why the lower cover in the tail does not sit well, (1) at the pic down below. Like it is currently sitting it can fall and water may penetrate the electrical connections that are inside. Also you should complete the cover of the swing arm axis, to prevents water to enter the axis, (2) at the pic down below.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

The seats have hardened.
According to your picture, it looks like the seat cover was replaced with a shiny material. But regarding the hardened of the seat there is no problem. The ergonomics are such that the hard seat of this model is very comfortable.
Rapid downshift from higher gears sometimes does not happens. I have to step down gears sequentially. Like "6th gear down-clutch release-clutch in-5th gear down-clutch release-...". There are no issues in upshifting though.
"There are no issues"!
This is how you Fast/Rapid downshift on a motorcycle, after more practice it goes fast: (1). Close throttle, (2). Press clutch, (3) Open Close Throttle(Flip throttle), (4) Downshift one gear , (5). Release clutch, ..and so on between gears when downshifting.

· Registered
1,075 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the word just came in from mechanic.

1. The relay for fan has went kaput plus the fan has slipped from bolt. We have ordered a new motor with fan to be on safer side. Coolant will be changed along with fan.
2. Fork oil has been changed.
3. The downshifting issue I talked earlier, mech told he finds it okay however he will still go ahead and check and adjust the clutch once.
4. Threads on front wheel axis hav worn out, it will be threaded.
5. All the fairing bolts and any bolts that have been rusted will be replaced with new one's.

Apart from that the inputs that were highlighted above have been notified to the mech. He told me he will take care of those as well.

So correct me if I am wrong, if I am in 6th gear and now I need to downshift to 4th, then I have to go sequentially to 4th instead of clutch in downshift twice then release clutch?

Also the video above says that its okay if you skip down twice. However if that is the case in my case this skipping down twice does not happens sometimes.

· Registered
1,075 Posts
Good to hear that you and the mechanic are getting along well and that he is taking good care of your motorcycle(y)
Maybe your mechanic would be happy to demonstrate for you the technique for quickly downshifting?
So correct me if I am wrong, if I am in 6th gear and now I need to downshift to 4th, then I have to go sequentially to 4th instead of clutch in downshift twice then release clutch?
This is what should happen in sequence:
6th gear engaged,
then
(1). Close throttle,​
(2). Press clutch,​
(3) Open Close Throttle(Flip throttle), short but measured twist of the throttle. 6​
(4) Downshift to 5th gear,​
*** (See the mark at my following comment)
(5). Release clutch,​
5th gear engaged, then
(1). Close throttle,​
(2). Press clutch,​
(3) Open Close Throttle(Flip throttle), short but measured twist of the throttle. 5​
(4) Downshift to 5th gear,​
*** (See the mark at my following comment)
(5). Release clutch,​
NOW the 4th gear is engaged.

The whole idea is to adjust the rpm to the gear you want to engaged.
Another level of expertise is incorporating a handbrake while downshifting.

Also the video above says that its okay if you skip down twice.
Skip on what?
The video above explains to you the pattern of actions for a Sporty / Fast / Quick downshifting, and explains to you that it is possible to downshift several gears in a row according to the same pattern of actions, pattern that repeats itself over and over again for each single downshift.

It's all about skill, if you ride beyond your abilities no amount of skill will help you avoid dangers. The right way to ride safely is to ride according to your abilities and the areas where you feel safe.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mory

· Registered
1,075 Posts
*** More explanations:
Between step (4) - Downshifting, to step (5) - Releasing the clutch lever,
you have three options:
A.
Accelerate by open the throttle (let's say to overtake a slow vehicle).
B. Adjust the throttle to maintain the current speed (when the situation is not clear, you may be required to accelerate, and you may be required to stop).
C. Leave the throttle closed and release the clutch carefully to perform braking with the engine.

· Registered
116 Posts
I fully recommend shifting one gear at a time. Some of the bikes I have driven would let you shift to whatever gear you wanted while others would have me shift one gear at a time.

I haven't tested it on the CBR, but if you can imagine what would happen if you were riding at 100km/h then shifted into 1st then released the clutch. It may be a safety feature, or it may need an adjustment. It's the middle of winter right now so I won't be able to try mine out for a while. I'll give an update when I get a chance.

Congrats on the bike! Once it's been sorted, it should last you many years.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The bike is back from mechanic and oh boy its now butter smooth. All the niggles have been sorted out. However it seems the handle is little inwards from left side. The weird thing is while the bike is stationary the handle seems perfect but once you start riding it seems the handle bar is little inwards towards fuel tank. I am not sure whether this is my imagination or my OCD but it seems it is what it is. Any tips on checking and correcting the same?

· Registered
116 Posts
The bike is back from mechanic and oh boy its now butter smooth. All the niggles have been sorted out. However it seems the handle is little inwards from left side. The weird thing is while the bike is stationary the handle seems perfect but once you start riding it seems the handle bar is little inwards towards fuel tank. I am not sure whether this is my imagination or my OCD but it seems it is what it is. Any tips on checking and correcting the same?
Either your handlebar is bent or your forks.

Handlebar(s) are the most likely issue and they are easy and cheap to fix. I replaced a bent handlebar when I bought mine. These are trainer bikes, they get dropped a lot. They are inexpensive and is only 1 bolt to remove plus switches and grips. I paid $31 plus shipping for original Honda brand.

The second could be bent forks. They are more expensive but not bank-breaking. I believe there are 6 bolts per side to remove plus an axle and you would need to lift the bike. Additionally, if one fork is slightly higher than the other it could cause some performance issues too. You should be able to see this at the triple-tree.

A 3rd but unlikely problem could be the inside the forks themselves, maybe the fluid in one fork has deteriorated much faster than the other. It is also possible someone has tried to make repairs and cut a spacer slightly too long or short.

Again, it's almost certainly the handlebar. Look there first.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update:

Got the handle bend corrected. The issue was with the handle tree or T. It was bent. The mech got it sorted out. Plus have changed the rear tyre to Apollo H1 150/60 R17. Changed the front tyre to stock size from Apollo as well.
The cornering and grip has improved phenomenally from the earlier contigo tyres. The earlier tyres use to skid a bit on cornering.

Time to put some miles on it now.

· Registered
49 Posts
Update:

Got the handle bend corrected. The issue was with the handle tree or T. It was bent. The mech got it sorted out. Plus have changed the rear tyre to Apollo H1 150/60 R17. Changed the front tyre to stock size from Apollo as well.
The cornering and grip has improved phenomenally from the earlier contigo tyres. The earlier tyres use to skid a bit on cornering.

Time to put some miles on it now.
Have you replaced the radiator fan as well. What I heard from part supplier that, CBR250R fan get damaged from center (where it was attached to Fan motor), due to which fan stuck to back side of radiator.

Same thing happened to me, i was getting the voltage (after removing the coolant sensor), so i asked for radiator fan assembly but then spare parts person told me the above story.

· Registered
1,075 Posts
What I heard from part supplier that, CBR250R fan get damaged from center (where it was attached to Fan motor), due to which fan stuck to back side of radiator.
I managed to disassemble the fan into all its parts, also disassembling the fan from the motor axis. There's a very small hex nut in there, and I put it back in place with Loctite. The fan does not touch the radiator at all. The motor is a brush motor. The central axis motor bearings are two brass bearing. I oiled these brass bearing (not because there was noise, but to extend life). I activated the motor with a 9 volt battery(12 volts allowed) and it turned smoothly and beautifully. Then I put everything back in place. (There were photos, but I accidentally deleted them:unsure::coffee:).

And I'm not denying what your mechanic/spare-parts-person saw with his own eyes, just sharing from my experience, what I saw in my radiator fan.

Reactions: hawx

· Registered
1,075 Posts
CBR250R fan get damaged from center (where it was attached to Fan motor), due to which fan stuck to back side of radiator.
The fan may have come off the axis. From what I've seen, this connection is very delicate, but also very strong (relative to the forces applied there), but maybe that's what happened to your fan, that the fan came loose from the axis and stuck to the radiator ribs?

Reactions: goool89 and hawx

· Registered
49 Posts
The fan may have come off the axis. From what I've seen, this connection is very delicate, but also very strong (relative to the forces applied there), but maybe that's what happened to your fan, that the fan came loose from the axis and stuck to the radiator ribs?
I have ordered the fan (requires min. 20 atleast due to parts shortage here in India), once the fan arrive i will open start removal process and update the results with photos.

· Registered
1,075 Posts
I have ordered the fan (requires min. 20 atleast due to parts shortage here in India), once the fan arrive i will open start removal process and update the results with photos.
As far as I understand what you lost there is the small hex nut, you need an M3 nut there (LINK). And you need to check that the D shape axis has not worn out, and if so, then you need to use Green Loctite 680. Loctite or equivalent.
Liquid Rectangle Font Magenta Event

Rectangle Font Circle Parallel Slope

· Registered
49 Posts
As far as I understand what you lost there is the small hex nut, you need an M3 nut there (LINK). And you need to check that the D shape axis has not worn out, and if so, then you need to use Green Loctite 680. Loctite or equivalent.
View attachment 46050
View attachment 46049
So mean to say, I can fix this using Loctite 680 and M3 nut, that's great fix. But need precision so that fan rotate staight (perpendicular to motor axis). Anyway ordered the fan (which is really cost real cheap).

· Registered
1,075 Posts
that's great fix. But need precision so that fan rotate staight (perpendicular to motor axis)
I don't know if it's a great fix, but I suggested something that seems good to me, and I think can last a long time. You don't lose the rotational accuracy, and you don't lose the accuracy of the perpendicular to the axis... and you're right, the parts are cheap, and ordering new parts is better (A great fix(y):)).
Well, I'm waiting for your pictures.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Have you replaced the radiator fan as well. What I heard from part supplier that, CBR250R fan get damaged from center (where it was attached to Fan motor), due to which fan stuck to back side of radiator.

Same thing happened to me, i was getting the voltage (after removing the coolant sensor), so i asked for radiator fan assembly but then spare parts person told me the above story.
Yes the fan issue was sorted with the initial service itself. You are right with observation, the fan was worn out at axis(center part which mates with the motor shaft). So the motor was running but fan was not spinning. I wanted to replace the motor and fan as a unit but then motor was not available however fan was available and for time being fixed the fan blades. The fan is operational as expected.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts