Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Update time. So i upgraded the bike with aux lights. They are HJG make, cost around 4.5k INR, output around 60W each light, and has three light modes(constant, blinking, alternate blinking). These are single mode beams that is just one beam throw pattern which is low beam.
Attaching some pics for reference. I will update with more detail pics later on. Note: camera s10+, auto mode, stock settings.

Top view and front view. I have welded a horizontal bar on number plate on which I have mounted the lights. These two pics are with camera flash on .

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Stock bulb high beam and low beam.

Dog Vehicle Car Light Automotive lighting

Vehicle Automotive lighting Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle

High beam plus aux light, low beam plus aux, only aux.
White Automotive lighting Light Lighting Automotive tire

Dog Vehicle Light Motor vehicle Car

Dog Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface

Attachments

· Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
1,075 Posts
output around 60W each light,
In relation to the main bulb, there is a significant addition of light(y)(y)(y)
I probably did not install such a rod (In Israel we do not require a front license number).
  • 60W refers to the light intensity, or the electrical power?
  • Did you use a relay and the voltage comes directly from the battery?
  • An addition of 120W (60WX2) is quite significant, will the electrical system withstand it for a long time?

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
In relation to the main bulb, there is a significant addition of light(y)(y)(y)
I probably did not install such a rod (In Israel we do not require a front license number).
  • 60W refers to the light intensity, or the electrical power?
  • Did you use a relay and the voltage comes directly from the battery?
  • An addition of 120W (60WX2) is quite significant, will the electrical system withstand it for a long time?
Apology, there is a correction. The power output is not 60w. 45w power is for each individual fog, combined output of 90w. 4500 lumens is the light output.
The lights came with their own harness and switch. This harness is connected to battery. One more thing the lights do not power on unless your bikes engine is running.

· Registered
1,075 Posts
Apology, there is a correction. The power output is not 60w. 45w power is for each individual fog, combined output of 90w. 4500 lumens is the light output.
The lights came with their own harness and switch. This harness is connected to battery. One more thing the lights do not power on unless your bikes engine is running.
It is clear to me that the electrical system can be loaded more than the manufacturer loads in the original state, and it happens that riders load all kinds of electrical gadgets. In my opinion the most common electrical gadget is a mobile phone charger. And loading 90W is not like 120W. It is strange that the manufacturer does not provide us an official Max W figure for electrical accessories.
For ref: For the excess weight that can be loaded on the motorcycle, the manufacturer does bother to provide an official figure.

Reactions: Vishal993

· Registered
1,075 Posts
So i upgraded the bike with aux lights. They are HJG make, cost around 4.5k INR,
The HJG brand that you mentioned is probably only sold in India?
But maybe you can bring us a link here so we can see what its mechanical dimensions are, and the rest of the specifications.
I checked a few options on Amazon and this is what I found:
LINK#1
Size 3", 80W(2x40), 9600Lm, White - Spot Lights OR Amber - Light Bar Spot Flood Combo
140USD + 76USD Shipping

Font Screenshot Advertising Brand Automotive fog light

LINK#2
Size 3", 80W(2x40), 8000Lm, Amber/Yellow
25USD + 13USD Shipping

Font Rectangle Screenshot Automotive lighting Gadget

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
It is clear to me that the electrical system can be loaded more than the manufacturer loads in the original state, and it happens that riders load all kinds of electrical gadgets. In my opinion the most common electrical gadget is a mobile phone charger. And loading 90W is not like 120W. It is strange that the manufacturer does not provide us an official Max W figure for electrical accessories.
For ref: For the excess weight that can be loaded on the motorcycle, the manufacturer does bother to provide an official figure.
I had read the alternator output to be 340W at 5k rpm? If that is the case then I guess it should be able to handle the aux lights. Plus the aux will only come into play during highway night rides.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The HJG brand that you mentioned is probably only sold in India?
But maybe you can bring us a link here so we can see what its mechanical dimensions are, and the rest of the specifications.
I checked a few options on Amazon and this is what I found:
Here you go. HJG Transformers White/Yellow LED Fog Lights With Harness/Clamps (rideindiaride.in). I have not ordered it from this site. I have a seller who sells this via whatsapp. The packaging also does not mentions any details. I will see if I can get the picture of the LED power unit/driver.
This is all I could find about them. I think they are being imported as generics and then rebranded and sold? Also since the make of them is Chinese I would not take the electrical readings as exact.

· Registered
1,075 Posts
I had read the alternator output to be 340W at 5k rpm?
YES. Now I went over to check for myself, here it is: P.1-11, P.17-3.
It is very nice that you found us this figure, but it is a general figure. It is not clear what happens at idle rpm? And it is not clear how much the original system consumes and how much is available for accessories? The manufacturer does not provide this data.

I can assume, like you did, that the system will hold 90W, but there is no complete confidence in this matter.

· Registered
1,075 Posts
Thanks(y)(y)(y)
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Circle
Product Output device Input device Automotive lighting Font

When the kit is sold in a set of two flashlights per kit,
then the technical data refers to the total (That's how I understand it):
Total intensity of light: 4500Lm (2250 each)?
Total power: 45W (22.5W each)?
You can measure the current on the HJG electric circuit and calculate the real power?
P[W]=V[V] x I[A]

According to the mechanical dimensions, the HJG is smaller than the ones I found on Amazon, about half the size (height: 4.5 cm = 1.77 inches).
Smaller is better.

Reactions: goool89

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Folks, I want to calculate fuel efficiency for CBR. Now as per manual when the last bar starts blinking it means you hav hit reserve capacity and now have approx 2.2 to 2.5 litres of fuel. In my case however the last bar does not blinks continuously atleast for some time. Like if I am waiting at signal the bar stops blinking however once I start riding the bar starts to blink again. Now the bar does blink continuously after few kms or so but its no consistent. So my question is how to reliably to kno that you have indeed hit the reserve?

· Registered
1,075 Posts
Folks, I want to calculate fuel efficiency for CBR. Now as per manual when the last bar starts blinking it means you hav hit reserve capacity and now have approx 2.2 to 2.5 litres of fuel. In my case however the last bar does not blinks continuously atleast for some time. Like if I am waiting at signal the bar stops blinking however once I start riding the bar starts to blink again. Now the bar does blink continuously after few kms or so but its no consistent. So my question is how to reliably to kno that you have indeed hit the reserve?
Hi
YES, The fuel gauge in our model is very inaccurate.
The manufacturer calibrated the fuel gauge according to the "extreme condition".
At urban riding ("extreme condition"), I reached a fuel consumption of about 21 kilometers per liter, and only then, when the last line starts flashing, only then the fuel gauge approach to the stated figure, which is less than 2 liters left in the fuel tank.
At highways riding, when the fuel consumption is 34 kilometers per liter, when the last line starts flashing, there are still about 8 liters of fuel in the fuel tank.

it is what it is.

My recommendation: When riding on highways, keep track of the number of kilometers, and based on that estimate the amount of fuel left in the tank. But those who want to go on the safe side fill up long before the last line start to flash (After all, in any case we make stops to refresh). Getting stuck with the motorcycle because the fuel ran out is the dumbest thing a rider can do to himself (this is from personal experience🤕).

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Hi
YES, The fuel gauge in our model is very inaccurate.
The manufacturer calibrated the fuel gauge according to the "extreme condition".
At urban riding ("extreme condition"), I reached a fuel consumption of about 21 kilometers per liter, and only then, when the last line starts flashing, only then the fuel gauge approach to the stated figure, which is less than 2 liters left in the fuel tank.
At highways riding, when the fuel consumption is 34 kilometers per liter, when the last line starts flashing, there are still about 8 liters of fuel in the fuel tank.

it is what it is.

My recommendation: When riding on highways, keep track of the number of kilometers, and based on that estimate the amount of fuel left in the tank. But those who want to go on the safe side fill up long before the last line start to flash (After all, in any case we make stops to refresh). Getting stuck with the motorcycle because the fuel ran out is the dumbest thing a rider can do to himself (this is from personal experience🤕).
Whats the actual usable capacity? Some folks say out of the 13 litre capacity only 11 litre is usable, the rest is dead storage. Is it the case? So can i safely assume that when the last fuel bar line starts blinking I have max 21 to 25kms to find fuel station before it runs empty?

Anyhow I have habit to fill fuel as soon as the bar starts blinking.

· Registered
32 Posts
The fuel gauge starts to blink? I guess I have a constant fear of running out of fuel, so I keep refilling it.

When only the last bar on the fuel gauge is visible I get stressed, so I try to never let it get down to only one bar. I had no idea I can wait for the fuel gauge to start to blink, which I assume is after the last bar, and still have at least 2 litres left.

And Tamir, what is your speed and RPM usually when highway riding? I’m curious because of the fuel consumption and how close to mine that may be.

· Registered
1,075 Posts
Whats the actual usable capacity? Some folks say out of the 13 litre capacity only 11 litre is usable, the rest is dead storage. Is it the case?
The tank is a 13 liter tank, what causes confusion is that the fuel gauge is very inaccurate (As I explained above - link)

So can i safely assume that when the last fuel bar line starts blinking I have max 21 to 25kms to find fuel station before it runs empty?
Yes
But this is a bad habit that may end unpleasantly.

Anyhow I have habit to fill fuel as soon as the bar starts blinking.
I think that this is a bad habit.

what is your speed and RPM usually when highway riding? I’m curious because of the fuel consumption and how close to mine that may be.
Fuel consumption is affected by two main factors:
  1. The rpm (In sports riding the rpm is high, so the fuel consumption will also be high).
  2. The speed, because above 70-80 km/h a significant part of the engine's pawer is invested in the resistance created by the air.
In a really relaxed ride, let's say 70 km/h, sixth gear, at ~4000 rpm...I reached a fuel consumption of 39 kilometers per liter.
I rode the way that felt right and comfortable to me (and the engine).
Usually I'm a bit faster, 5000-6000 rpm, at sixth gear, then the fuel consumption is 32-34 kilometers per liter.

It is important to remember: Our engine has no torque and power at low rpm, so we must not let it strain at high gear and low rpm.
39Km/l? I'm not straining it, I'm talking about riding on the plain, with a weight of about 85 kg, no headwind, no dramatic accelerations...etc.

Reactions: TobyBryant
21 - 35 of 35 Posts