Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
There was a pre-test report on MCN. In a nutshell, just when they thought it was going to get interesting, it was out of breath. Otherwise, nice bike, especially if mpg rating is close.

As for pricing, based on Honda's recent past (CBR excluded) it'll be MUCH higher (VFR, DN-01, etc ..) than market price for equivalent.

·
Registered
386 Posts
If the MSRP was indeed $6999 (CND) I would consider importing one from Canada just because I REALLY like how the bike looks but i don't know that importing it would be realistic for me. I'll probably pick up a used shadow or vulcan or a used FZ6 toward the end of next year so that the wife and I can ride it out of town on the weekends.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Just read online that Honda Canada is predicting the NC700S/X to be priced around $9000 Canadian. Hmmm. That is quite a bit off from my estimate of $6999. If this turns out to be true - I'm not sure what the draw would be to purchase this bike. Not sure how Honda Canada plans to entice buyers into an expensive, low horsepower, low redline, and overweight bike that promises excellent fuel economy. I think at $6999 people might be more willing to accept the compromises. A Yamaha FZ6R sells for $7999 in Canada. And an FZ8 at $9499 would only be $500 more. Heck, a Ninja 650R sells for $8299. Sure, these bikes probably appeal to a different demographic - but still. $9000?!?

Mike

·
Registered
427 Posts
Just read online that Honda Canada is predicting the NC700S/X to be priced around $9000 Canadian.
Wait a year and pick one up for about $6000. They have another DN-01 on their hands at that price. Expect heavy discounts to get them moving. We saw the same thing with the new VFR. Way overpriced and now heavily discounted.

Speaking of DN-01's. One of the girls at work has one. Apparently. I've never seen it, I've never heard of her riding it. But both she and her husband (HD rider) both say she's got one.

... so, I guess that means they sold at least one right :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
I sat on one last night ( NC700X ) at the Toronto motorcycle show. From the saddle it looks and feels much like the Kawasaki Versys. The honda I can easily flat foot, where as the Kawi is about the maximum seat height I can manage.
It was interesting to open the hatch on the "tank". Lots of storage space in there. They had the NC700S there as well.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Haven't seen or ridden the bike, but I find it interesting and I like choices. I won't discount it because the redline is 6.5- it's all about torque and from this video, it gets to max speed of 190 very easily. How fast does a WeeStrom go and how long does it take to reach max speed?

If you hammer it, then it probably gets 50mpg or less, maybe only a little better than some other 650s. I like having helmet storage.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think it would be a sensible upgrade for my 250r in 3-4 yrs if they ever brought it to the US. I already look at the cb1000r, but I think a stop at 6 or 700 along the way would be wise for me..

Price is somewhat of a factor though, so should be interesting. 9k doesn't seem all that bad to me, but 6.9k would be a steal. I would probably trade up sooner if it was 6.9..

·
Registered
999 Posts
I hope they bring this bike to the states.
All that torque down low with a 6.5 red line is similar to what I had before the 250. It sounds like it will be an excellent real world street bike.
Me thinks below triple digit speeds it will be better than a 600 power wise.

The lockable fake tank/compartment is neat. I'd install a helmet guardian and use the compartment as I would a tank bag.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

Just read this interesting news on Motorcycle.com.

Honda NC700S and NC700X Coming to Canada – US Availability Still Uncertain | Motorcycle.com News

Based on a comparison of Canada vs. UK pricing, I'm predicting an MSRP of $6999 (CND).

Mike
Just read that the NC700X is coming to the U.S. The MSRP will start at $6999. I guess my estimate of $6999 (CND) wasn't that far off after all! Though I imagine that the Canadian starting price will now probably be around $7499 based on a comparison of U.S. and CND pricing. Here are the details.

Honda Announces Availability of NC700X in U.S. Market This Summer « MotorcycleDaily.com – Motorcycle News, Editorials, Product Reviews and Bike Reviews

Here's a new preview!

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/honda/2012-honda-nc700x-preview-91209.html

Mike

·
Registered
160 Posts
Seems like a fairly boring but at 63 mpg quite a practical street bike for commuters. Sure people will go for it.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
The under seat fuel tank may seem like a good idea to someone but it is a complete deal breaker for any solo touring rider who would want a pack on the passenger seat. How do these bikes get so heavy? 470 pounds is more that the Ninja650. Too bad as this would be a great fuel efficient engine for those that find the CBR250R too small.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I'm still learning about bikes, but isn't that about the same weight as the comparable BMW? Some of my friends tell me that having a heavier bike is better on the interstate, but is that really true? I don't know. The fuel tank access issue seems like thoughtless design, but maybe there's a work around for that, though.

I'm sticking with my 250r for awhile, regardless.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
The under seat fuel tank may seem like a good idea to someone but it is a complete deal breaker for any solo touring rider who would want a pack on the passenger seat. How do these bikes get so heavy? 470 pounds is more that the Ninja650. Too bad as this would be a great fuel efficient engine for those that find the CBR250R too small.
Agree. For an adventure bike - I'm surprised that Honda would require that the passenger seat be lifted to gain access to the fuel tank. Virtually everyone carries gear on the passenger seat when solo touring. This just seems so poorly thought out. With my system, it would probably take me at least 10 minutes to remove my saddlebags and tailbag and then replace them after re-fueling. What a pain that would be. Not to mention the inconvenience of having my gear strewn all over the ground, and angry motorists waiting impatiently in a line behind me eager to re-fuel.

A solution that involved re-positioning the filler neck underneath the rider's seat seems like a more practical design. It appears that it would only involve moving it a few inches forward from where it is now located under the passenger seat.

Mike

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think it would be a sensible upgrade for my 250r in 3-4 yrs if they ever brought it to the US. I already look at the cb1000r, but I think a stop at 6 or 700 along the way would be wise for me..

Price is somewhat of a factor though, so should be interesting. 9k doesn't seem all that bad to me, but 6.9k would be a steal. I would probably trade up sooner if it was 6.9..
****, Honda is trying to call my 6.9k bluff. lol.. I will probably succumb to one of these this summer... Excited, but this feels like it always happens to me. I buy one thing, then I'm drooling for the next thing that comes along.. Low self control, lol.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts