Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey what do you guys think about honda's new 700? They are claiming great gas mileage (75ish), fair Hp (45ish), and a locking "fuel tank" big enough for a full face helmet.
Really sounds like a usable bike-unlike some of the repliracers. A great commuter and maybe even a little fun in the twisties. I am 6'1" and the taller profile looks nice.
On a side note have any of you used the DCT system yet? I would think something like they used to use on the small trail bikes/atvs would be cheaper+easier-The old fashioned auto-clutch. You still have to foot shift it but for newer riders it would still be like an auto.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hey what do you guys think about honda's new 700? They are claiming great gas mileage (75ish), fair Hp (45ish), and a locking "fuel tank" big enough for a full face helmet.
Really sounds like a usable bike-unlike some of the repliracers. A great commuter and maybe even a little fun in the twisties. I am 6'1" and the taller profile looks nice.
On a side note have any of you used the DCT system yet? I would think something like they used to use on the small trail bikes/atvs would be cheaper+easier-The old fashioned auto-clutch. You still have to foot shift it but for newer riders it would still be like an auto.
Been having a discussion about this on another thread somewhere...
Personally, I like it, for what I want to use a bike for... However, I'm only going by specs... haven't ridden or even seen it real time...

I like:
Low/mid range torque/power band (similar power allocation to cbr250)
High MPG (similar to cbr250)
More upright ergos (the 250 isn't bad, but it's still a lean that plays on me after a few hours)
The "S" version better than the "X" version (lower seat height, lower COG, naked presentation), however, it won't be coming to the US
Storage
Claimed suspension (yet to be tested)
Built in Japan
Price! $6,999 USD

Don't like:
Seat height on the X
Would prefer a V-twin to a parallel (but this is really moot for me)
Colors... although haven't seen the non-DCT version colors yet
DCT... an automatic bike? I'm sure there's a niche crowd for this... but... seriously? Fortunately, it's an option.
ABS only comes with the DCT version...

It's ultimately a V-Strom competitor...

·
Registered
188 Posts
The website lists fuel mileage at 64mpg. All the Japanese manufacturers make something like it, the V-Strom 650 from Suzuki ($8299/54 mpg), the Versys from Kawasaki ($7899/49 mpg), and Super Tenere from Yamaha ($14500/40 mpg). The Yamaha has a giant, thirsty engine so it's not exactly in the same category. The next closest is the more street-oriented FZ6R ($7590/43 mpg), but that's not really in this adventure category. About a full inch less front suspension travel.

For my money, though, it would have to be the BMW G 650 GS ($7850/74 mpg). The numbers speak for themselves and the reputation of the BMW bikes is well established. The V-Strom has a pretty big fanbase as well, but if BMW is still making the G 650 GS when I go to upgrade then it will be the one I buy.

·
1,305 Posts
i was actually looking at this the other day, the manual version may well be my next bike.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The website lists fuel mileage at 64mpg. All the Japanese manufacturers make something like it, the V-Strom 650 from Suzuki ($8299/54 mpg), the Versys from Kawasaki ($7899/49 mpg), and Super Tenere from Yamaha ($14500/40 mpg). The Yamaha has a giant, thirsty engine so it's not exactly in the same category. The next closest is the more street-oriented FZ6R ($7590/43 mpg), but that's not really in this adventure category. About a full inch less front suspension travel.

For my money, though, it would have to be the BMW G 650 GS ($7850/74 mpg). The numbers speak for themselves and the reputation of the BMW bikes is well established. The V-Strom has a pretty big fanbase as well, but if BMW is still making the G 650 GS when I go to upgrade then it will be the one I buy.
You might want to take a look at this shootout of the 2012 "Adventure class" bikes: V-Strom, G650GS, Versys
Interesting overview, and summary... might surprise you...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thanks! I hadn't seen that. Guess it depends on your priorities, then. BMW has by far the best fuel efficiency but the natural tradeoff is power. Suzuki will be better for long distances. When I "upgrade" it will be to replace the CBR 250 as a commuter/toy for the weekends so it looks like I've got some more homework to do. Lots of time to do it, though. Love the 250.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Dunno, figure I'd give it a pass. If I recall from one review a while back it was stated that the engine will have a very low red and work more like a car engine (I think they said it even shares parts with one), so it would have less of a range than our CBR250Rs. Also not a big fan of the styling, nor the seating position (I actually like our lean, and wouldn't mind a bit more of one actually.

Personally I'm still hoping on a new North American CBR400RA or new CBR600F4i (hopefully with ABS) at some point in a few years if I do end up moving on to a different bike.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thanks! I hadn't seen that. Guess it depends on your priorities, then. BMW has by far the best fuel efficiency but the natural tradeoff is power. Suzuki will be better for long distances. When I "upgrade" it will be to replace the CBR 250 as a commuter/toy for the weekends so it looks like I've got some more homework to do. Lots of time to do it, though. Love the 250.
I hear that...
I'm *really* enjoying the 250 as well... more and more daily. Shifting, power, etc... all seem to be getting smoother/better with time... I think it's break-in/servicing. My riding buddy thinks it's bias (he'll learn).
Very little not to love on this weebee-R... It does it all... with the exception of long distance touring... comfortably... (I know I'll get an argument from a few on this).
My thinking now is that a 650, whatever it may end up being, will be an addition... not a replacement. 90% of my riding is what the 250 is targeted at... And, the mileage, which *is* relevant to me (getting about 75mpg average) is gravy...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah we bought this bike as a way for me to ride along with my wife on her scooter (2000 Red Honda Helix). My Last bike, a ZX-6R, was way to big to ride at slower speeds along with the scooter. This felt like a good holdover bike for me, good MPG/Low cost insurance/etc. With the thought of her moving up to it as she gets comfortable on the scoot. I have to admit though it may end up getting mothballed until she is ready to ride it if the nc700x is as nice as it looks. Having three bikes at once would be new - but hey whats life without spice?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm with you re the addition vs replacement. The CBR250 accomplishes/knocks out my daily commuting miles with such ease and efficiency that I can't see myself giving that up. I plan on keeping it and letting my kids (when older) learn to ride on it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
My thinking now is that a 650, whatever it may end up being, will be an addition... not a replacement. 90% of my riding is what the 250 is targeted at... And, the mileage, which *is* relevant to me (getting about 75mpg average) is gravy...
You STOLE my words.
For the moment I am ok.
When I'll do another jobs, that leaves me free in the weekends,
I will consider buying a bigger bike, touring-oriented.
Probably just the NC700X: I like it.

PS: riding the cbr, yesterday night after work and this morning coming home, it was smooth as never. Perhaps it's me, I felt guilty about thinking about another bike :p

·
Registered
109 Posts
I like the looks of this a lot. If it were at the dealers now I might be pressed into buying one. It is a bigger bike that looks like it actually would do what it says -commute well.

Most big bikes are more of a commute comprise so you can get to that weekend ride with the buddies. Since that weekend ride with the buddies is on a pedal bike for me the commute part is a big bonus.

·
Registered
329 Posts
How about this for an upgrade - not just yet for me but i do like the look of this.
XJ6N | Yamaha Motor Australia
I looked at this too, when I was seeking to buy my bike.
In Italy they sell the Diversion F model also, it has full fairing.

It's defined as an entry level bike, nice handling they say, but less fuel efficient than other similar bikes.
(cbr600f, er6-f aka ninja 650)

After all, I found a better choice to take the cbr.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Origninally I went to the dealership intenting on buying the NC700. Dealer had it posted on their website and everything. Come to find out it wouldnt be available till september. Screw that, thats when I started looking at the 250. 2 days later I rode home on my red cibber, although from another dealership

·
Registered
38 Posts
Id be interested in a duel sport or adventure bike for my next addition to the stable, and as always ill be looking at the Hondas first

·
Registered
206 Posts
http://www.cbr250.net/forum/honda-c...y-think-about-upgrading-new-honda-nc700s.html

I hope to be a ADV tour type guy in the future so this did catch my eye but after reading reports.
New 2012 Honda NC700X 700cc Parralel Twin! - ADVrider

It was a let down.
I rather spend money on a new KLR650 and still have money left for luggage.
Just me
2012 KLR

I know their not the same kind of bike but I dont need a heavy commuter and I dont see it as a weekend fast bike andthe off road use does not look all that good due to weight/HP issues.
Maybe a long range commuter bike Ok.. I will give you that but I rather try to do more with less. just me.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
http://www.cbr250.net/forum/honda-c...y-think-about-upgrading-new-honda-nc700s.html

I hope to be a ADV tour type guy in the future so this did catch my eye but after reading reports.
New 2012 Honda NC700X 700cc Parralel Twin! - ADVrider

It was a let down.
60 pages of pure conjecture. Not a one of those guys at ADV has ever ridden an NC700X. My Brother has a KLR. He never rides it to work. Too sketchy on the highway due to the upright parachute position.
The V-Strom is very popular and if you are careful you can get close to 60 mpgUS

1 - 20 of 76 Posts