Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do our brakes suck?

what can be done to improve braking power......i ride 60 miles one way to work....alot of hwy, but for about 60% of the ride is a part of the hwy that has stoplights so going 75mph down to 0 in a hurry kinda sucks on this thing.

anyone improved their bikes brakes.......can the dual brake setup from the 600 be fitted and used......which would be sweet.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I think a few people got good results out of just a pad change. My front doesn't seem to bad but my rear seems horrible. I feel like I can stand on it and not lock it up. I realize that rear brakes aren't near as strong as the fronts but still mine seems VERY weak.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
The brakes don't suck, they're a little spongey. Are you a new rider?

They're more than enough for street use.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
new rider- yes. lets say i got the rear to lock up....was trying to keep from locking the front. but in real truth i think i should have just keep going when it turn yellow....my car has upgraded brakes on it (brembo package car) so im use to being able to make the stop......guess its was me seeing the yellow and trying not to run it..... but i wouldnt mind to have better brakes on it......even if all i can get is a pad change.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
When you are braking hard, your weight is loaded to the front. The front has a lot more stopping power and the rear becomes easier to lock up. Practice some with your front and I'm sure your stopping distances will decrease.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
need better braking technique on this thing!!!

Fixed it for you.

May I suggest a revision of attitude and awareness. It sounds like you are riding too fast for the conditions. Motorcycle riding lessons could help.

The School of Hard Knocks is not recommended. The risk of taking one from the front or rear at high speed could result in another test of Darwin's theory.

When the lights turn orange, stop if it is safe to do so.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I was on a road in Georgia w/ highway speeds in the middle of nowhere and traffic lights.

I soon decided that going slower was probably the best idea. There were a bunch of people making left turns out at me.

Michael is right, you need to watch out and slow down.

Practicing your braking can't hurt. You can stop pretty fast on these brakes once you get the hang of it. They are a bit soft at first. Modding your brakes isn't the answer though.

·
Registered
928 Posts
He might as well run with no plates, no camera worries then. Either that or do the speed limit and ride responsibly. I guess new riders dont do that anymore though.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
The stock brake pads are NISSIN NKx20FF.

Bottom of the barrel... low compound crap.

Buy some EBC HH sintered pads (FA196HH), will make a World of difference and might save your life. Should be found on Ebay cheap enough.

You're welcome.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Also get better tyres, Changing to Pirelli Sport Demons, and your brake pads will make it a completely different bike. Much more fun, much better handling, and much safer.

Ride on!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Someone who has been riding for a bit might be able to utilise better tyres and brake pads.

Awareness, attitude, and basic technique will be of more benefit than improving the limits of a bike for a squid.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Spiegler steel braided brakelines.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I was wondering why Mikey felt compelled to basically say the same thing twice here, but then I realized that he didn't say "Squid" the first time. I think he need to get his daily squid post in.

·
Registered
167 Posts
its horrible here too.
We indians have bybre units on non abs bikes.

And in my case,back is ok.but front brakes are worse than rear.and confidence gets worse when the bike is above 100kmph.

My pal changed both the calipers to nissin units,and said, a 20-25% bite increase was felt.
He also changed his pads to sintered ones,and now he claims its 50% better than stock bybre ones.

Why honda put bybre units on indian non abs bikes and nissin on abs bikes?

Any help if changed stock brake fluid to superior one?(racing std)

·
Registered
501 Posts
I must of got the one with the good front brakes. I did have to bleed the air out of the rear one though.

·
Registered
455 Posts
My fronts sucked until i bled them. Great now

1 - 20 of 32 Posts