Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I narrowed it down to these 3 bikes, I need your feedback on what you think. I am located in Northern Virginia and my question is, do you think this is a good deal? what is your suggestion? What is the value of this bike? Is there anything unusual of this bike from the pictures? This will be my first bike purchase so is there any tips I should keep in mind?

First bike:

The bike is a 2007 CBR600RR, currently has 85XX miles on it, and hes asking me $5500 as final price.

Second Bike

Brand new kawasaki 2011 Ninja 250 asking price $4300.00 OTD.

3rd Bike

Brand new 2011 CBR250R $4400 OTD.

Thank you for any feedback and any input is welcome. So which bike should I get?

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Whichever one matches your underpants.

·
Registered
389 Posts
What are you ridding now? I’m ridding the 250rr, I think my next bike is going to be the 600rr.

·
Registered
636 Posts
my suggestion would be if this is your first bike, to go with the cbr 250..it would definately be more forgiving while learning on..notice the 600RR (RR meaning racing replica) and racing written on the faring..you may want to ease into a bike that performs like that. just my opinion. and yes it is a biased opininon as DoubleRGirl said due to the fact that my first street bike was a suzuki SV 650 and the same day i got it, i totalled it. not by being a dumb ass and riding above my skill level, just a lurch forward from having what i thought was a little too much throttle and the thing took off like a bat out of hell and i slamed it into a brick wall. such an error in being an inexperienced rider on such a powerful bike can be catastrophic, while a smaller bike can be much more forgiving..good luck in whatever choice you make though..keep us posted.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Oh, for your first bike, I would go with the CBR250. Its my first street bike, had a few dirt bikes. I think if I had a 600 it would be bad news. If you’re the type to push your limits, I would go with the 250, it easy to handle, then work your way up. I think it’s a great first time bike, I drive it daily, put 2k miles on it in the last month or so.

What are you looking for in a bike? Comfort? Speed? MPG? Power? Awesomeness?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I would not have the 600RR as a first bike.

Here's a scene that comes to mind: One is going around a corner on a rough road. Didn't notice that one pothole in the road is pretty deep and you ride over it. The unexpected bump causes you to yank on the throttle. Before you know what happened you and the bike are wrapped around a tree.

The same scene on a 250: there's not enough juice there for a small throttle blip to launch you off the road.. you continue on to enjoy the day..

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Lmao!

Whichever one matches your underpants.
+1

This made my day. Thank you Aufitt. And to the OP, I don't know. Whichever one you want the most but since you've asked; I'm gonna vote for the Kawasaki just because its the underdog in this forum. Also was it really necessary to make another thread about the same subject you'd brought up a couple days ago?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Im sure there is a big price difference. Get what you want . Theres a BIG difference in performance and you will have to respect the power and speed of thr 600

·
Registered
172 Posts
Northern Va is a nasty place to ride a bike. The correct answer depends on you, your driving characteristics, and your routes. The beltway around DC is a deathtrap for bikers. Most cagers are idiots on a cell phone and your life is meaningless to them, even if they are paying enough attention to know when they have hit you.

I know people who have died on that road (the Beltway), and hope I never know another one. I would use the 250 to learn to ride. I would avoid the known very dangerous routes until you have at least 5k miles of experience. I would wear every protective device you could acquire.

The 600 is way to much bike until you understand the fact that you can easily be where cagers do not expect you to be. The weaving dodging and 4-5 lane changing when they are about to miss their exit could create a disaster to you when you have done nothing wrong, just something unexpected.

I used to live at Tyson's Corner and commute to work at the Mercedes dealership in Arlington. I found that driving down Route 123, Chain Bridge Road, at 35 MPH was much better than the Interstate which was usually crawling and bumper to bumper. Add all the non US residents especially those with embassy plates (virtually no legal responsibility), and you have a very dangerous mix. I lived there in 1983, it's much worse now.

I live in Williamsburg and have my CBR 250 R for sale for $3495. At close to 61 the sport bike riding position does not work for me, so I bought a 2005 Vulcan 500. No more backaches and headaches with the Vulcan due to the cruiser riding position. The bike has 2400 miles on it and the price is much lower than new if you figure in all the additional dealer fees.

regards
Badger

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Toy?

Do you want a toy or a good commuter? The 600RR is one of the best toys ever made. I rode my Ninja250 yesterday for the first time in months because it needed a state inspection. Carburetors suck in cold weather! If you want cheap transportation that can still go cross country if you are good on the bike, the CBR250R is the perfect bike with it's fuel injection, and protective fairing. I never ride the Ninja anymore. If my daughter could stand over the CBR better I would sell the Kawasaki and buy another Honda in a heartbeat. The Ninja sits a little lower. You should check out insurance costs for the 600 before you even consider that. They can be more than the bike payment.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought a cbr250 obvisouly and i was at the time a brand new rider in every aspect. I am glad I bought the bike i did. unless you are looking to race or need a speed thrill to make you happy i think the honda 250 is perfect. the look, the weight, price, can get it new as opposed to used (big for me), and no matter what anyone says is the perfect starter bike. i've already thought in my head "i probably would have been on the ground right now if i had a 600". it probably should be a law that you have to own a 250, then get a 600, and so on. lol. already 8,500 miles of someone else riding that bike. get a new one. break eachother in. have that be your bike. or go with the ninja 250. there are a lot more parts and accessories out there for that then our honda 250.

·
Registered
29 Posts
also good point about the insurance. it just isn't worth it to pay that unless money is no issue whatsoever with you. it is with me. and the gas mileage is a huge plus. can you tell i'm not a big fan of the 600's? lol

·
Registered
386 Posts
I would say go with the CBR250r as your first bike for the obvious reasons. The Ninja is also a good starter bike but the CBR has better technology. I am having a hard time believing that you can get the Special Edition Ninja for 4300 OTD brand new as they retail for that much and the $4400 CBR must be the ABS model.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would say go with the CBR250r as your first bike for the obvious reasons. The Ninja is also a good starter bike but the CBR has better technology. I am having a hard time believing that you can get the Special Edition Ninja for 4300 OTD brand new as they retail for that much and the $4400 CBR must be the ABS model.
Non-abs model :( and is the ninja over priced then?

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
No bump

Non-abs model :( and is the ninja over priced then?
Let your Honda dealer swing for a couple weeks until they offer the bike at sticker. There are used CBR250Rs for sale at $3400. This is not the time of year for them to charge over list price. 2012s will be out soon making the 11s a left over. Let them bump the 12s, not the 11s.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Either the CBR250R or the Ninja 250 would be fine. Do some research and see which one has the traits that best fit your type of riding.

Absolutely, positively, DO NOT buy the CBR600RR for your first bike.

Other suggestions, based on over 35 years on 2-wheels, is don't buy a new bike as your first. Get something solid and not ancient, but no reason to buy new. Plan on putting tires on a used bike ASAP. Good tires are the single most important safety feature you can add to an older cycle.

Make sure you have the money to be completely fitted with gear - not just a helmet - jacket, gloves, boots, and pants also.

Before you even buy/ride anything, take a MSF course. Have you checked on the cost of insurance yet?

Jay

1 - 20 of 26 Posts