Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
I always like to use Germany as proof that speed and accident/death-rates are not related. They have some of highest speeds yet lowest fatalities.

In U.S., only 4% of traffic fatalities occur on highways where highest speeds occur. Over 75% of fatalities happen at intersections in towns where speeds are lowest.

This points out difference between cause snd effect. Speed ]u]does not cause]/u] crashes, but makes effects real cause worse. Actual cause of crashes is driver error. Without the error, there would be ZERO crashes. Speed just affects results after the error has already happend.

For example, many, many people have died at 0-mph in their driveways after slipping and losing balance while taking off. Same with bicyclists too. However, many more also die after making mistake at intersections by running red-lights or not seeing pedestrians. Very few die going 100mph+ on freeway. All caused by driver error with results possibly worse with more speed. Sure, injuries are worse at 100mph than at 10mph. But best rate if 0% injury by not making mistakes to begin with.

That's why traffic fatalities are so much lower in countries with tiered licensing systems such as Japan or EU compared to U.S. Drivers are actually required to have practice and skill before getting larger and faster bikes.

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
186 Posts
I always like to use Germany as proof that speed and accident/death-rates are not related. They have some of highest speeds yet lowest fatalities.
YES,
The motorways in Germany are very safe, I wrote that there are other variables, well-paved roads reduce accidents.

If there is one thing that all researchers are united in it is that speed kills.

There are zero studies showing that there is a contributing safety to motorcycles with ABS.

Sure, injuries are worse at 100mph than at 10mph. But best rate if 0% injury by not making mistakes to begin with.
YES, (y)(y)(y)
And when you ride slower there is more time to think and make less mistakes, and if you make mistakes at low speeds the results are less fatal.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
You're smart enough to know you sent us a graph from 2020 and not from the last decade, yes ?!
Funny that there are people for whom a year feels like ten years.

View attachment 44851
"2000 bis 2020" means from 2000 till 2020. Those bars represent one year each and the trend goes down. But I see that Statista hides some things behind membership walls so the numbers don't show up anymore when you're not a member. It's not necessarily just ABS but I wouldn't know what else has changed over the last 20 years. I do know though that engine power went up.

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
186 Posts
"2000 bis 2020" means from 2000 till 2020.
When writing "until" it is January to January, otherwise it would have been written "in 2020 and 2021". But that is not the point.
The point, as you understand, it is that research is "without data" Because:
I see that Statista hides some things behind membership walls
engine power went up.
YES, so again, the manufacturers are "spoiling" and putting controls to controlling in the excess power. What is certain is that engines with more powerful, that means riding with stronger accelerations, and higher speeds, which adds risk to the rider.
The human factor is responsible for almost all the accidents, and riders Vs drivers, they have no maneuvering space, any "Damage" is an injury to their body. Sometimes ending with nothing, sometimes in scratching, sometimes in platinum, and sometimes in the grave ...o_O:cry::eek:

21 - 24 of 24 Posts