Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start plasti dip spraying the wheel this week and wanted to get some pointers on removing the rear wheel. I haven't attempted it yet b/c I want to make sure I do everything right. I would appreciate it if someone can give me the steps and pointers. I tried to do a search on here and couldn't find anything.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
You should look at buying a service manual. I believe the steps are in there.

From what I can tell, you'd need to take off the rear hugger, which is 4 bolts, then loosen the axle which takes sockets on both sides to do. Loosen the chain so you can get it off the wheel and pull the axle out and remove the wheel. I'm probably missing something obvious in that.

·
Banned
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should look at buying a service manual. I believe the steps are in there.

From what I can tell, you'd need to take off the rear hugger, which is 4 bolts, then loosen the axle which takes sockets on both sides to do. Loosen the chain so you can get it off the wheel and pull the axle out and remove the wheel. I'm probably missing something obvious in that.
Thanx. How do you loosen the chain? Chain tensioner?

I do need to get a service manual.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
There are adjuster nuts. That's in the owner's manual. That's something you should be looking at and doing on your own anyways.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Do you have a torque wrench and other tools?

You don't want to get stuck in the middle w/o the right tools.:)

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
If you do not have spools and stand (Like I dont atmo)-
leave sidestand down, steering turned to the left.
Put trolley jack under suspension linkage (I also put a tie down strap from the garage roof to the underseat subframe area and rhs exhaust hanger for safety) and get the rear wheel 20mm off ground.
You guys are doing it the hardest way possible.
You DO NOT have to loosen the chain adjusters.
You DO NOT have to remove caliper.
Just one 24mm nut is all for the whole job.
Chain can go back on at same adjustment.

Remove Axle nut with 24mm socket while holding axle with 19mm ring spanner.
Slide axle out while supporting wheel.

Allow wheel to move down to floor, this will make chain go slack.
Lift chain off to the left and hang it over the lhs.
roll wheel out to the rear.

My rear wheel is out atmo so I'll take some pics today for you as I put it in.

·
Banned
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you have a torque wrench and other tools?

You don't want to get stuck in the middle w/o the right tools.:)
I have a break wrench and and a big wrench for the other side. I don't have a torque wrench but I will have to be careful how tight I make it when I put the wheel back on.

I will put torque wrench on my need to buy list though b/c I know the Honda has specific setting for the the torque wrench.

·
Banned
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you do not have spools and stand (Like I dont atmo)-
leave sidestand down, steering turned to the left.
Put trolley jack under suspension linkage (I also put a tie down strap from the garage roof to the underseat subframe area and rhs exhaust hanger for safety) and get the rear wheel 20mm off ground.
You guys are doing it the hardest way possible.
You DO NOT have to loosen the chain adjusters.
You DO NOT have to remove caliper.
Just one 24mm nut is all for the whole job.
Chain can go back on at same adjustment.

Remove Axle nut with 24mm socket while holding axle with 19mm ring spanner.
Slide axle out while supporting wheel.

Allow wheel to move down to floor, this will make chain go slack.
Lift chain off to the left and hang it over the lhs.
roll wheel out to the rear.

My rear wheel is out atmo so I'll take some pics today for you as I put it in.
I just bought a rear bike stand at Harbor Freight the other day. It doesn't use spools though, swing arm I believe. I haven't set it up yet.

Thanks for the tips. It didn't make sense to take the caliper off b/c I didn't have to all of that on my previous 178cc scooter with abs disc brakes, the rear wheel looked like a similar set up.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
I can see I'm going to have to start writing up my maintenance/adjustment guides and put them all in the same place, step by step with pics.
I'll have to search the forum for them.

Luke said its a good thing if I do this.
people are making hard work of very easy tasks.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I never had to back off the adjusters on my Ninja.

Well I didn't take the caliper off exactly. It was attached to axle and came off with it. It still was a PITA to align it in there with two hands.

Haven't looked at doing the CBR. I try to avoid touching the adjusters.

A lot of people haven't done anything like this before. Getting an SM helps. It has plenty of pics. Though most of this is self-explanatory.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a break wrench and and a big wrench for the other side. I don't have a torque wrench but I will have to be careful how tight I make it when I put the wheel back on.

I will put torque wrench on my need to buy list though b/c I know the Honda has specific setting for the the torque wrench.
Get the torque wrench before doing this, plenty of times when working on a motorcycle that guessing just isn't good enough. For instance: The rear axle bolt on my wife's Ninja takes 80 ft. lbs. of torque, which is probably more then you would put on it just guessing.

Better safe then dead.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
80? :O

One of the newgen ones? I could've sworn it was 72.

And yes, go to Harbor Freight and pick it up. I got a coupon for them, makes it $12.99 for one.

·
Banned
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Get the torque wrench before doing this, plenty of times when working on a motorcycle that guessing just isn't good enough. For instance: The rear axle bolt on my wife's Ninja takes 80 ft. lbs. of torque, which is probably more then you would put on it just guessing.

Better safe then dead.
What size torque wrench do I need? 1/2" , 3/4", 3/8" ??

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
That'd depend on what size sockets you have.

I have a 3/8 for stuff like wheels, and a 1/4 for small things inside my engine and such.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts

Aussie ingenuity if you dont have a stand-
Trolley jack under suspension linkage and a couple tiedown straps to the subframe from the garage roof for safety.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts

Remove axle and lower the wheel, allows the chain to be pulled over to the side like this.
Nothing else is required, just carefully pull the wheel out to the rear leaving the caliper in place.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts