Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I have been following this most interesting forum I feel the following question requires discussion and hopefully some answers.

"Why do some put their bikes into neutral when stopped at a red light or stop sign"?

Let me digress for a wee moment. For twenty years I have worked as a critical care paramedic and was required to take emergency driving courses. During these courses certain principles were repeatedly highlighted throughout 1) drive-DEFENSIVELY, DEFENSIVELY, DEFENSIVELY 2) when possible make eye contact with other drivers when proceeding through an interection 3) always be aware what is happening around you 4)use your mirrors 5) always leave a cushion around you which leads to 6) always leave room for an "out"...

these are just a few pearls of wisdom I have continued to apply while driving my personal vehicles which is a Mini Cooper and a Jeep TJ, both standard transmission and I must say I do not put these vehicles into neutral everytime I'm at a red light or stop sign. So.....back to my question..."why do some riders put their bikes into neutral whenever stopped"?

My personal preference is.. stay in first, leave a cushion, do not assume drivers behind see me so i'm in response mode should I need it and my rear brake is applied with the goal of making myself more visible. This is not to say that I have never sat in neutral when waiting for an extended time i.e long train...

So, lets hear from others and what their view point is on this topic. I'm sure there are reasons. What are they????:confused:

·
Registered
81 Posts
When on a bike I find myself in neutral by habit. After the car behind me stops with out running me over I flip my visor open and sit up straight for a little shift from my standard riding position (to move around a little) and cross my arms and wait for the light to change. I guess I mainly go to neutral this way so I can take my hands off the grips and stretch or wave or whatever. :)

P.S. I didn't think critical care paramedics ever got on motorcycles!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
the only time i'm ever in neutral on the bike is when its parked, period. Always be in the best gear to get out of a bad situation, whether thats at 50mph or 0mph. Sitting at a light in neutral is a dangerous spot to be in, especially when you consider that your bike won't always quickly shift to 1st gear when your at a stand still, because the tranny isn't moving. Yes, holding the clutch for long periods of time at a stand still can be hard on your hand a first, but if you get in the habit, your hand will get stronger. And i prefer a sore hand to getting creamed by some truck who was texting while slowing down behind me and rams into me!!

·
745 Posts
When I'm coasting up to what I know is a long light, I'll typically go straight to neutral from second and let the clutch out - takes pressure off the release forks in the clutch pack. However, if I'm the last one in line at a light, I'm also watching the rear-view mirror more than the light, and my left foot stays up so I can leave quicker.

Your way is arguably quicker and better, but you can't sit up and look as cool as I do (j/k).

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, we do ride and I guess we are just as crazy for fun as the rest of you guys :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think the only reason to go into neutral at a stop is to take a break from the normal riding position (especially the hands).

That being said, I ONLY do this if there is no chance of some one rear ending me.

Always watch the mirrors when stopped in traffic!

I also flash my break light, and am ready to perform an evasive action when I'm stopped and a cager is approaching from the rear.

--l8r

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I'm coasting up to what I know is a long light, I'll typically go straight to neutral from second and let the clutch out - takes pressure off the release forks in the clutch pack. However, if I'm the last one in line at a light, I'm also watching the rear-view mirror more than the light, and my left foot stays up so I can leave quicker.

Your way is arguably quicker and better, but you can't sit up and look as cool as I do (j/k).
Probably not lol :D that's hilarious. Looking cool is good ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
All are good points! I guess in the end of it all, we all just hope the person comin behind you isn't a complete moron and totally disregards you're even there! It's just too bad that there are morons with licenses and situations like these do occur!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Because i learned it when i took my licence: teacher said, if hit behind, and still in 1´st; bike will drive at it self into another car/accident, you cant brake right away.

It is more easy to put it in 1st IF you see the accident coming from behind.
But..i rarely put it in neutral, only if i know it a slow lightchange. :)

·
Registered
928 Posts
Because i learned it when i took my licence: teacher said, if hit behind, and still in 1´st; bike will drive at it self into another car/accident, you cant brake right away.

You need to go and slap your teacher in the head. If youre hit from behind it doesnt matter if its in first or nuetral. It will go flying ahead along with you in the air.
If you see the accident coming from behind, odds are you wont have time to put it in first. Leave it in 1st at least till another car has come to a complete stop behind you but still have an escape route.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I go into N only once the car behind me is stopped. As I see him coming up I flash the brakes with the rear brake. Once he stops I drop into N and flip my visor, cross my arms over the tank, and watch people look at that Pimp on Black CBR... lol

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Madd-trapper, I agree with just bout everything you blog. Love your delivery lol I can tell you have experience and common sense. Enjoy your comments :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
i do it sometimes cause my hand gets tired waiting for the green light but its also on a 1600cc bike clutch is little different than the 250. my 200 enduro i always leave in first cause it requires no effort to hold the clutch in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Personally, I prefer to leave it in gear. I used to drive an '84 VF1100 Sabre and got used to that stiff clutch really quickly. I've always been taught to keep room for a way out if at all possible; keeping your bike in gear is the first step in having a safe way out. Unfortunately, sometimes we can't react quickly enough, and that's when you pray that you have someone above looking after you like this guy: Lucky Biker Lands On Feet After Crash*Video

·
Registered
81 Posts
Personally, I prefer to leave it in gear. I used to drive an '84 VF1100 Sabre and got used to that stiff clutch really quickly. I've always been taught to keep room for a way out if at all possible; keeping your bike in gear is the first step in having a safe way out. Unfortunately, sometimes we can't react quickly enough, and that's when you pray that you have someone above looking after you like this guy: Lucky Biker Lands On Feet After Crash*Video

Oh WOW! That is terrible. I feel bad because I believe in Karma and I couldn't stop laughing about the way the lady casually asks "are you ok?"

This is every bikers nightmare.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oh WOW! That is terrible. I feel bad because I believe in Karma and I couldn't stop laughing about the way the lady casually asks "are you ok?"

This is every bikers nightmare.
You gotta hate hearing that phrase "are you ok?" - for me because that's sorta how the lady that pulled out in front of me and caused my first (hopefully last) wreck responded... along with "you were going so fast, how fast were you going?!" to which my honest response was "60mph, the speed limit ma'am".

I honestly can't wait to finally have a bit of money saved up to go order myself a cbr250r (with ABS)... I miss riding, being out for nearly 2 years now is killing me.

·
Registered
114 Posts

If this guy is a qualified instructor he should be reported. Any instructor will tell you to remain in 1st gear for all the points already said by others. You must be able to move away quickly if there is an emergencey. it may not be just coming from behind.....

1 - 20 of 46 Posts