Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happened twice today. From neutral it wouldn't go into first (or second). Putting the kickstand back down and kicking it up HARD solved the problem. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
269 Posts
happens sometimes, you just gotta roll the bike a little backwards or forwards. usually does it more when it's coming up on an oil change

·
Registered
319 Posts
Yeh, seen many bikes like this, Pump the clutch a few times, and or roll it a little. Its a common thing.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Happened twice today. From neutral it wouldn't go into first (or second). Putting the kickstand back down and kicking it up HARD solved the problem. Anyone else experience this?
I haven't had this issue, but I'm wondering what the kickstand has to do with a shifter issue?

·
Registered
354 Posts
some guys posted that the wire on the kickstand for you to catch with your toe was bent in such a way that it interfered with th shift linkage. A little tweak reportedly cured it. Search shifting problems. it is here somewhere. otherwise get someone to hold the bike, so you can get down and look at thee kickstand/shifter relationship.
I have not had this issue, but have read it on this forum.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mine regularly won't go into first if I'm stationary. I just release the clutch about a third of the way with my foot still applying pressure on the gear lever. You'll find it pops into gear very easily. This method is the quickest way to engage if you need to move to avoid being rear ended.

·
Registered
46 Posts
yeh mate it happened to me yesterday as i rolled her out of the garage and started her up and let her idle while i put on my gear, i went to take off but it wouldnt find 1st.
i tried and tried but no luck so i just rolled down my driveway and onto the road and she went in.... only got 100kms on the clock too

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all; I'll try the roll and pop fixes next time out. Odd that putting the kickstand down and back up fixed the problem since there's no interlock; maybe I rolled the bike a bit doing it and that's what fixed it.
I did see that post on kickstand interference with the clutch but looking at things I couldn't see how that could be a problem.
Took a 25 or 30 mile ride through La Honda, Pescadero, and up Tunitas to Skyline (SF Bay Area) yesterday; only my third time out on the bike. Apart for this little glitch the thing seems to be getting smoother and even a little more responsive the more I ride it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
As mentioned several times in the thread, just roll the bike an inch or so (I roll it with the clutch out) and then clutch and shift. The gears/plates just need to get aligned. This has been the case on each of the few bikes I've ridden; it's by no means unique to the CBR.

·
1,305 Posts
As mentioned several times in the thread, just roll the bike an inch or so (I roll it with the clutch out) and then clutch and shift. The gears/plates just need to get aligned. This has been the case on each of the few bikes I've ridden; it's by no means unique to the CBR.

aye, i had this on a few different bikes.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Pete, that would be interference with the 'shift linkage' not the clutch. I have not studied it because I dont have the problem. but if you look, they are right next to each other, when the stand is up.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
while stopped....release the clutch out a bit while pushing down on the shifter...somewhere between the clutch
being fully depressed and a third of the way out it will kick down into first.....

i find i still have to do this sometime...at stop lights or after i roll it out of my garage.....but letting out clutch a bit (its not enough to engage and make you move) is way easier and less embarrassing than rolling your bike back and forth, especially in front of people at the gas pumps,red lights..ect..ect..

most of the time im in 1st by the time I come to a complete stop so its not an issue...but now that i know what to do if it is stuck in neutral.....its 2nd nature and takes a half sec to remedy..and no one around is any the wiser to what i just did

·
Registered
386 Posts
Mine regularly won't go into first if I'm stationary. I just release the clutch about a third of the way with my foot still applying pressure on the gear lever. You'll find it pops into gear very easily. This method is the quickest way to engage if you need to move to avoid being rear ended.
+1.

This is about the only way I can get the bike into first gear most of the time. I also tend to have issues downshifting sometimes and this is the only way I can get the bike to downshift reliably every time I attempt to downshift. If I squeeze the clutch lever all the way the bike tends to want to stay in the same gear.

Do you guys think that maybe the clutch cable can be adjusted to avoid this issue?

·
Registered
11 Posts
no need to pump or roll for me just release and reapply the clutch...
works every time. i think its just the synchro's not lining up right. i have the same issue with my car going into reverse sometimes.

i don't know about the kickstand solving your issue. possible you might not be looking at something else your doing will thrashing your kickstand around. perhaps rolling the bike or releasing the clutch, perhaps not

1 - 20 of 31 Posts