Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just picked my bike up and drove it back 25 miles to my house (I'm a new rider so it was exciting). On the way I experienced 2 significant issues. First off, sometimes I couldn't find 1st gear when stopped. I click down and it doesn't go anymore but then I start and realize im in a higher gear and stall out. Also, quite a few times, near the end of my trip, I couldn't get higher than 2nd gear. It just would click up. While driving i even shifted back down to first then back to second and it still wouldn't go to third. Any idea what the problem is?? Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I just picked my bike up and drove it back 25 miles to my house (I'm a new rider so it was exciting). On the way I experienced 2 significant issues. First off, sometimes I couldn't find 1st gear when stopped. I click down and it doesn't go anymore but then I start and realize im in a higher gear and stall out. Also, quite a few times, near the end of my trip, I couldn't get higher than 2nd gear. It just would click up. While driving i even shifted back down to first then back to second and it still wouldn't go to third. Any idea what the problem is?? Thanks!
don't tell me this is honda's specialty or something because I experienced this on a 90 cc EX5 Dream too when I'm changing the gear back to N prior to turning off its engine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When shifting, is the shifter supposed to return to a center position after each shift? Because like when I shift sometimes (while playing with it turned off), the shifter when shifting to 1st stays down. Then I can get it to neutral and it stayss in middle but sometimes when going to second it sticks in an up position.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
When shifting, is the shifter supposed to return to a center position after each shift? Because like when I shift sometimes (while playing with it turned off), the shifter when shifting to 1st stays down. Then I can get it to neutral and it stayss in middle but sometimes when going to second it sticks in an up position.....
on ex5 (probably unrelated), the shifter goes back to its original position. Probably i read your post wrongly.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
The poor poor gearboxes.

Shift gears while moving please... and one at a time, that big round dial in front of you will tell you when to.

It is a motorcycle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The poor poor gearboxes.

Shift gears while moving please... and one at a time, that big round dial in front of you will tell you when to.

It is a motorcycle.
i see, by moving you mean that right before i stop the bike, not even when the power is still on?

·
Registered
999 Posts
Gears tend to mesh together much better when in motion.
If you can't get into 1st at a stop try rocking the bike forward and back while pressing down on the shifter.

As Aufitt said, upshift & downshift while you're moving. One at a time.
You can't shift through all gears on a stationary bike :)

Just keep practicing at your own pace in a safe area (preferably free of traffic like say an empty parking lot) and it will come.

·
Registered
400 Posts
like metalstorm said,if you come to a stop and you cant shift gears then roll the bike back until u hear or feel a click,while holding the clutch in still...then try to shift gears again

or you can simply let the clutch out a bit,not a lot because then you will stall..but since your new to the clutch id say do option one first.

and yes the gear shifter is suppose to go back to its original spot once you've changed gears.

also,try not to downshift into 1st at high speeds then continue to throttle,unless your speed drops down low enough..

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
i see, by moving you mean that right before i stop the bike, not even when the power is still on?
Yes. down thru the gears ONE at a time on your way to the complete stop at the stop sign letting the clutch out momentarily between each one., blip the throttle to match the gear if needed.

Remember the better you look after the gear forks now the sweeter the box will be as it beds in... 20,000km in the future.
All new boxes are notchy (apart from suzukis generally)
This is not cbr thing, its a motorcycle thing.

If you are just playing around in the garage, rock the bike with the clutch out to get it back to neutral.

·
Registered
54 Posts
What they said. You probably noticed all my talk about the gearbox on your other thread. It takes some time to wear in and will be notchy until then. Look at the other thread for some tips.

Always try to get to first while still moving when coming to a stop. If you wait until you stop you may have trouble.

Sometimes second can be hard to hit even if you're moving. Just go up again and if you end up in third that's ok.

I haven't experienced the problem you mention about not getting past second. Not sure what caused that. If it happened I'd pull over to the side and get back to first and start up again.

Hope this helps.

'njoy,
awk

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Sounds to me like the gear lever is too high, depends on what boots you wear but its always best adjusted too low than too high to enable clean changes upwards.

The 2 in the showroom I sat on and the demo I looked at were all too high.. and the lever not long enough either.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I mean I definitely think there's a problem because while riding I definitely couldn't get it into 3rd gear. And now, when stationary, they shifter definitely doesn't pop back into place after shifting. When coming to a stop, say from like 5th gear, is it ok to just hold the clutch and downshift 4 times, or is it proper to let the clutch out after each shift? And if I don't, is that bad for the bike? I'm used to a car, where obviously you can just go to neutral from any gear. I called the dealer and they are picking the bike up tomorrow morning to check it out. The fact that I couldn't shift into 3rd was definitely not a good thing. Also, I'm definitely having problems getting it into first sometimes. I'm downshifting while slowing down, and it doesn't go into first, cause I stalled many times from a stop cause it actually ended up being in like 3rd. Ugh.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
I mean I definitely think there's a problem because while riding I definitely couldn't get it into 3rd gear. And now, when stationary, they shifter definitely doesn't pop back into place after shifting. When coming to a stop, say from like 5th gear, is it ok to just hold the clutch and downshift 4 times, or is it proper to let the clutch out after each shift? And if I don't, is that bad for the bike? I'm used to a car, where obviously you can just go to neutral from any gear. I called the dealer and they are picking the bike up tomorrow morning to check it out. The fact that I couldn't shift into 3rd was definitely not a good thing. Also, I'm definitely having problems getting it into first sometimes. I'm downshifting while slowing down, and it doesn't go into first, cause I stalled many times from a stop cause it actually ended up being in like 3rd. Ugh.
Well if you keep doing it then the bike will have a problem eventually.
Please be kind to your new motorcyle lol.

And no gears wont engage unless you go thru them, as everyone has said.

It is a motorcycle... and a brand new one!

·
Registered
400 Posts
so your saying when you downshift to 1st gear while in motion and at top gear you HAVE TO
1.clutch in
2. downshift 1 gear
3. let clutch out
4.repeat 1-3

?????

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Yes

You should always be in the right gear for whatever speed anyway.

Its a motorcycle.

·
Registered
400 Posts
ok,i understand its a motorcycle....

so you cant hold the clutch in and downshift as u slow down?without letting the clutch out

·
Registered
4,996 Posts

so you cant hold the clutch in and downshift as u slow down?without letting the clutch out
You can try but you shouldnt.. but you'll miss gears if you are trying more than one at a time... and one day be in the wrong gear at the wrong time with a truck comin your way.

Surely this is a pi$$take question right? You do have a motorcycle licence?

·
Registered
112 Posts

You can hold the clutch in and downshift through multiple gears as necessary, it won't hurt the bike. The big thing is you don't want to downshift when you have high rpms on a higher gear. 7k rpms in 5th is going to be close to redlining in 4th, if not redlining. That's the kind of thing you want to avoid. But coming to a stop you can downshift multiple times without letting the clutch out. Just make sure if you are stopping, you're hitting first or neutral(your preference).

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
As khto said.. sometimes he finds he's hes in 3rd.. and you wont know what gear it jammed in.. or you've found a false neutral.

Treat your box a bit nicer especially while new.. and dont blame Honda with thread titles like this.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts