Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have been considering downsizing from my 06 Triumph Daytona 675 for the last 6 months. But I really loved my bike, only issue was the riding position at my age (56) was getting difficult. I rode a few others and decided to keep my Daytona and had the 24K mile service done last week. On the way home exiting an Interstate, I hit the brakes and started a tank slapper that I rode out through a curve, across traffic and into a median. Initial estimates totaled the bike with tank, plastic and triple tree damage.

One week later, a few stitches in my right knee but I so miss riding. I should be able to walk again in another week, but I won't be able to buy another bike until after we complete building a home.

Before my Daytona, I put 18K miles on a Buell Blast. Before that, I had a few bikes in the 70-80s, but hadn't ridden since 1983.

Just here to learn about this bike. I would leave it pretty stock, some minor changes like barend mirrors, tail tidy, LED lights, etc.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Welcome, and sorry to hear about your Triumph... Big change from a Daytona 675 to a CBR250r... but you might like it... a lot... Very nimble, and loves to be pushed (which you can do without hitting 100 in 3rd).

Good luck with the knee, and with the bike, if you pull the trigger.

P.S. I'm your age... and while the ceebee posture isn't as aggressive as the Daytona, it's still a slightly forward lean (depending on how close you cuddle the tank), but I find it very comfortable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had an 07 Daytona 675 for about a year before I got my CBR250R (there was about a year of a gap inbetween the two though) and I'm still having a blast.

It's just nice being on two wheels! I hope you pick up a CBR and ride safe!

·
1,305 Posts
Welcome to the group.

Sorry to hear about your "whoops", glad you are healing up though.

CBR position is pretty comfy, quite upright.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome.

I know it is a big difference from my Daytona, but I found pushing my Buell Blast to it's capacity was sometimes more fun that using 20% of the Triumph's ability. The Buell was a thumper too, generating about 29hp, rev limiter at about 96 mph, so I would assume it would be similar in power to the CBR.

I haven't riden a CBR, I have tested a Ninja a few years ago. I rode a Ducati
Diavel for about 10 miles and a Triumph SpeedMaster last week for a couple hundred miles and I know I don't want that upright of a position.

How is the insurance on these, I assume it should be cheaper than my Daytona too.

·
Registered
116 Posts
my insurance on this bike is 300$/year.
24 years old, no riding experience, no accidents, no tickets.
my car insurance is 1000$/year on a 05' 4cyl lancer with pretty minimal insurance considering i have a loan on it still.
hopefully that gives you an idea of how cheap this bike is to insure.
to give even more of a comparison... the same insurance company wanted ~2500$~ to insure me on a ninja 600.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Welcome and sorry to hear about your accident. I love the seating position of mine and it's very comfortable even on longer trips.
As far as insurance goes that varies a lot on a number of things including age, riding experience, size of bike, cost of bike, crime rate of your area, etc..
With that being said, I'm 34, no motorcycle experience, no accidents, 1 small speeding ticket over a year ago and none before that for many years and I got full coverage for $160 a YEAR. I about fell over when they gave me the quote! LOL Granted I know it's a small, cheaper bike but still. I'm not complaining though. LOL Oh.... AND they said that after I complete my MSF course they will give me a deduction!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Welcome and sorry to hear about your accident. I love the seating position of mine and it's very comfortable even on longer trips.
As far as insurance goes that varies a lot on a number of things including age, riding experience, size of bike, cost of bike, crime rate of your area, etc..
With that being said, I'm 34, no motorcycle experience, no accidents, 1 small speeding ticket over a year ago and none before that for many years and I got full coverage for $160 a YEAR. I about fell over when they gave me the quote! LOL Granted I know it's a small, cheaper bike but still. I'm not complaining though. LOL Oh.... AND they said that after I complete my MSF course they will give me a deduction!
$160 a year??

I have no accidents, no tickets, *well* out of the high-risk group (by decades), and also insure my car and house with the same company (State Farm), and it's $280 / year!
I know Uninsured Motorist coverage varies, and can make a difference... but, still... Who are you insured with?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Sorry about your crash. Were you going really fast when the tank slapper started? I strongly suggest you test drive a 250 before buying one. Sounds like it could have been worse glad your not to badly hurt Crashng sucks

·
Registered
534 Posts
$160 a year??

I have no accidents, no tickets, *well* out of the high-risk group (by decades), and also insure my car and house with the same company (State Farm), and it's $280 / year!
I know Uninsured Motorist coverage varies, and can make a difference... but, still... Who are you insured with?
I have Erie insurance(they only do PA motorists) and they have GREAT premiums! They saved my wife and I over $700 a year on our cars over what we were paying with geico(and I was even getting "discounted" rates through them because I am a federal employee). Another thing that comes into play is I see you're from Atlanta which is a HUGE city with HUGE city crime and traffic. We live in a quiet little town in Pennsylvania. I know even with geico our rates dropped a couple hundred a year when we moved up from florida and nothing changed but location, same cars and everything.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Greetings nb mitch,

Welcome to the Forum. I feel your pain. Been there, had it happen to me twice. In Time, this too Shall Pass. Keep the Faith.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have Erie insurance(they only do PA motorists) and they have GREAT premiums! They saved my wife and I over $700 a year on our cars over what we were paying with geico(and I was even getting "discounted" rates through them because I am a federal employee). Another thing that comes into play is I see you're from Atlanta which is a HUGE city with HUGE city crime and traffic. We live in a quiet little town in Pennsylvania. I know even with geico our rates dropped a couple hundred a year when we moved up from florida and nothing changed but location, same cars and everything.
They do more than just PA - I live in MD and had them for awhile. Very cheap insurance - so long as you have no record whatsoever. One accident though and you're liable to get a premium similar to geico/etc.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I'm with Progressive @ $250 a year and my MSF discount hasn't been accounted for yet.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I would guess between 40-50 when I tapped the brakes. Nothing odd about it, something I had done 1000 times. It wasn't extremely violent, but enough I wasn't going to make the turn.
I know it's one of those 'easier said than done' issues... I've never experienced a tankslapper, but I've heard if you can loosen your grip early enough on the bar (which is the exact opposite of what your gut tells you to do), it helps to dampen the oscillations, and ends the incident.

Then again, that could just be a crock... I have no idea...

·
Registered
636 Posts
glad to hear you walked away from your scrape..this past saturday a good friend's aunt and uncle were killed riding two up by a drunk driver..head on collision at 3' oclock in the afternoon..sad stuff..ride aware, ride safe, hope you have fun on your new ceebee its a great bike!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
me and my bike fell down yesterday.large wound on leg and small scratches on body.

Service team told 50percent insurance for plastic and 100percent for metal

i have to change
right side full fairing
headlight cowl right
brake pedal
exhaust metal protector cover
front mudguard

front shockup underside a pair(scratches nly.cn b painted)

calculated cost 8000inr or 187usd

is it fair deal and i expect insurance guys to give me atleast 80usd
but its the waiting that sucks this part of the world.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Sorry to hear about the crash, and the injuries... Glad to hear the repairs are so reasonable, and that you're still kickin'!

What caused the fall?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry to hear about the crash, and the injuries... Glad to hear the repairs are so reasonable, and that you're still kickin'!

What caused the fall?
Repairs are reasonable? The bike was totaled. They got up to $6K in damage with a few major parts (tank alone is $900) and the bike (06 Triumph 675 w/24K miles) had a retail value of about $4100. The bike will not be repaired.

If I really knew what caused it, I might have been able to prevent it :D

·
Registered
350 Posts
Repairs are reasonable? The bike was totaled. They got up to $6K in damage with a few major parts (tank alone is $900) and the bike (06 Triumph 675 w/24K miles) had a retail value of about $4100. The bike will not be repaired.

If I really knew what caused it, I might have been able to prevent it :D
Sorry for crossed wires, nb... I was responding to vighnesharavindakshan, in the post just before mine (#17), not yours...

Probably should have quoted him... my bad..

Glad to hear you walked away from your crash basically intact (and that's you I'm referring to, not the bike)...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts