Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I initially wanted to get a Ninja 250, but the salesman was really wanting me to check out the Honda. Since I couldn't see the bike in person because my dealer was 350 miles away, I checked specs online and it seemed like the Honda was better for me.

Picked up a red and silver one (would have loved a black one) over the weekend with 2 miles on the odometer. Dealership had gotten 2 out of the nearly 30 orders, one was sold a month before they had gotten it, so I guess around here they are pretty rare.

My bike experience... NONE. I rode a fat cat twice and wrecked it.. twice. But I really wanted to learn and this seemed like a great bike to start on... feels heavy to me, but I don't weigh much.

I will admit I'm pretty intimidated by this thing, even though it is about the mildest and most beginner friendly sportbike available. I made the salesman load it and had my brother help me unload it when I got home. I live in the boonies and have a small jog worth of gravel before the highway. I'm not sure how I'm going to learn on this thing without tipping it over. I tried to ride a little on the lawn tonight and just kept killing it. This is going to be kinda tough, poor bike.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I always start people with creeping. With your feet on the ground practice rolling the bike forward, little by little, by letting out the clutch just until the bike starts to move and then pulling it back in. keep doing that until you can move the bike all around 'walking.' Once you get the feel of creeping, see if you can get let it out all the way, and put your feet up. When you do get going, then pull in the clutch, stop and try again.

When you start rolling around, pick a couple of places, stop at those places and get going again. When you get really comfortable with starting and stopping everything else will seem easier, gear changes will make more sense.

http://www.cbr250.net/forum/honda-cbr250-general-discussion/311-new-rider-tips.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the advice. I'm most worried about the small stretch of gravel to get to the highway. But if I get good at 'creeping' it should be no problem.

·
Registered
619 Posts
well, if it is a dirt road, then that should be a good place to practice. If it is a lot of larger rock that is round, then that can be harder. Generally get all the way against the tank when you 'walk' your way through stuff. If the road has a big crown, then stay away from the edges and go more in the center.

Consider going up and down that road until you are good at it, that would really build your confidence. if it is a dirt road with just some rock, you can probably ride on it easy.

You can always creep through stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts