Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I just signed up on the forum today... I took delivery on my new 2012 CBR250R Tri-Color a week ago. I've got 325 miles on the odometer today... I'm really liking this bike!
For the past twenty years I've been riding off road and dual-sport bikes. I have a 1994 Honda XR650L and a 2001 XR400R. The last sport bike I owned was a 1985 Yamaha RZ350N... that's one bike I wish I hadn't sold. Anyway, I'm looking forward to being part of this forum!

Best regards,

Mike

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Welcome! I've been to Santa Fe, but before I knew anything about bikes. Seems like there would be some awesome places to ride out there. Enjoy!!

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Dusty - Hasn't been too hot here yet... My temp gauge has been showing three bars at operating temp while riding. I am wondering about oil viscosity in the CBR for the high heat of summer. In my XR's I run Valvoline M/C 20W50 for the summer when temps go into the mid 90's. Any thought's?

Empty Sea - Yes, a lot of great riding here at the southern end of the Rocky Mountains, particularly off road on the old logging roads and trails in the National Forests. Lots of great, twisty canyon roads for the CBR... I feel fortunate to live here, I've got the best of both worlds for motorcycling!

Cheer's

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Welcome. Some good folks here:D:cool:

·
Registered
724 Posts
I was just there this weekend. Nice place to live if you worship sunshine. The drive from ABQ to Santa Fe was awesome. Felt like the horizon and sky would never end. Next time I go back will do that Sandia Tram. I will say this about the freeways down there. You guys drive wicked fast I would buy a GSXR600 to keep up.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Greetings MotoMike,

Welcome to the Forum. Congratulations on your New 2012 Tri-Color cbr. More smiles to the miles in your Future.

The cbr is operated in temperatures from below 0 deg F to 135+ F desert Heat. Just Follow Honda guidelines in the Owner's Manual. Just remember, the cbr's engine is Liquid Cooled. Cooler Engine Temperature in Hot conditions.

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank's to all for the warm welcome's!!!

I forgot to mention that when I took delivery of the bike, the dealer - Handlebar Motorsports, in Durango Colorado had filled the the fuel tank for me. This past Sunday, while out for a ride, I stopped for fuel at 280 miles on the odometer... it took 3.027 gallons to refill to the baffle, the same level the dealer had filled it to. When I got home, I grabbed the calculator, and... 92.5 MPG... Needless to say I was more than impressed!
Have others experienced these kind of MPG numbers?

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was just there this weekend. Nice place to live if you worship sunshine. The drive from ABQ to Santa Fe was awesome. Felt like the horizon and sky would never end. Next time I go back will do that Sandia Tram. I will say this about the freeways down there. You guys drive wicked fast I would buy a GSXR600 to keep up.
It is a nice place to live as far as the weather and stunning landscapes go... I do agree with you on the subject of "New Mexico drivers"... they fly on I-25 between Santa Fe and ABQ. I won't ride "the slab", I'd much rather ride the back roads and take the long way home. Next time you get to Santa Fe, I highly recommend taking a drive up into the Pecos Canyon, as well as heading north towards Ghost Ranch... it doesn't get any better for breathtaking landscapes!

·
Registered
30 Posts
a fellow NM'er! we should get together sometime- i live in Rio Rancho and work in ABQ. i pass through Santa Fe all the time. my work requires me to travel alot- not on my bike tho lol. i have about a little over 1200 miles on it now, def worth every penny : )

90+ mpgs is insane! i def dont baby my bike too much and i get around 80, which is pretty good imo! riding it harder gets me about 75 or so...

·
Registered
305 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :) I'm on a couple others but this one is my favorite. I feel "at home" here.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Congrats in the purchase! Hth did you manage 92mpg?!? I would fair to guess that my best would be around 76 to 79

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Welcome to the forums. Congrats in the purchase! Hth did you manage 92mpg?!? I would fair to guess that my best would be around 76 to 79
During the break in period, I have been riding on twisty roads every chance I get, with speeds ranging from 35 to 65 mph. For the first 300 miles, I had a self imposed redline of 7000 rpm. Since the 300 mile mark, I've been taking it to 8000 - 8500 rpm. Through it all I have been working the gearbox like a madman, keeping the tach needle moving. At around the 400 mile mark, I'll start taking the rpm's higher, and see what this bike will do. I'm thinking I might dump the oil at 400 miles, rather than wait for 600 miles. Cheap insurance, IMO.

Although I haven't been flogging the motor, I haven't babied it either. Just a lot of varied rpm's and throttle positions. During break in, I really didn't expect fuel mileage to be much more than 65 -70 mpg, so I was impressed to say the least with 92.5 mpg. I'm going to keep a mpg log for this bike...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts