Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked mine up at cool springs honda august 19th. Great experience after a terrible one at Sloan's in Murfreesboro, what scummy idiots..Not first bike but first one in 10yrs and I love it. Did get the rattle at 5k around the point break in was over, now waiting for dealer to get shims and in it goes for first service. Changed the oil at 600m put in lucas 1030 syn.
Rode it home first ride in 10yrs and it was 40 miles including hwys. Memorable...
So hey

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi there. Spring Hill resident here. Bought from the same guys but watch out for service. They wanted 600 bucks to do first service plus valve adjustment if needed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thx

yeah they gonna do just the chain and valve check and adj as i have already done the other stuff they want 230 for that. valves check 94$ if bad then 94 to replace and 24 for chain
My first ride on a bike ever was talking a show-off into letting me ride his cbr1000 in like 95. I dropped it without moving an inch then proceeded to take it on the countries most dangerous strip and ended up at a stop sign braking on the most wicked hill in Clarksville. What a way to start.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Wow you live in Tennesse. Have you been through Deals Gap yet? I love riding through the great smokey mountains. You have some of the best riding right in your back yard

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey! Middle TN here too so I figured I would just say hello here rather than start another thread.

I just bought my CBR250R from Sloans. I guess I really got lucky. Jamie and their service manager were just terrific. I was able to actually ride the bikes before purchasing. I got a great discount price along with my 2.9 financing. They stayed late after hours while I was finishing up, gave me a full tank of gas, sent me a hand written thank you within two days and 10% off my upcoming accessory and apparel purchases. I can't say enough about the service I received.

I am also a returning rider after a good deal more than a decade without riding. Like you, it was a crazy long first ride! I am just loving this little bike. Cheers!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hey! Middle TN here too so I figured I would just say hello here rather than start another thread.

I just bought my CBR250R from Sloans. I guess I really got lucky. Jamie and their service manager were just terrific. I was able to actually ride the bikes before purchasing. I got a great discount price along with my 2.9 financing. They stayed late after hours while I was finishing up, gave me a full tank of gas, sent me a hand written thank you within two days and 10% off my upcoming accessory and apparel purchases. I can't say enough about the service I received.

I am also a returning rider after a good deal more than a decade without riding. Like you, it was a crazy long first ride! I am just loving this little bike. Cheers!
Welcome aboard! I am glad you had a good experience with Sloan's as that is where I plan to go for my first service. Darren the service manager, seemed extremely helpful and told me straight up what to expect when I brought it in...Not to mention he was quoting $325 less than Cool Springs..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Welcome aboard! I am glad you had a good experience with Sloan's as that is where I plan to go for my first service. Darren the service manager, seemed extremely helpful and told me straight up what to expect when I brought it in...Not to mention he was quoting $325 less than Cool Springs..
Thanks! It's good to know they'll be reasonable on first service. I'm coming up on it too. I'll change my own oil, but I'm not going to do valve clearances... too lazy hehe

·
Registered
260 Posts
I saw a guy on a Red/Silver CBR250 a few weeks ago at Kroger in Spring Hill and have been waiting to see if they ever pop up on here. Where in TN are you located?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nashville here. Sloans said they sold both a black and a red/silver before I bought mine so there are several out there lurking. Mine's black btw :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Im in Murfreesboro. The Franklin shop has sold 7 before mine, so they are out there. Hands down the most enjoyable bike I've ever ridden. Love the silence. I honestly hate douche rockets i.e. crazy paint/graphics and loud pipes. top end power is also overrated as this bike's power delivery is so much fun to play with. Hit me up if your close by and we can go riding. Getting valve service this saturday and then I will be going to the mountains to ride.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Are you sure you were quoted for the first service. I bought my bike from Cool Springs also and had them do the first service and it was somewhere around 200. 600 sounds like you heard wrong.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Are you sure you were quoted for the first service. I bought my bike from Cool Springs also and had them do the first service and it was somewhere around 200. 600 sounds like you heard wrong.
I was told $175ish for the first service, oil change and bike checks etc..NOT including valve checks.
Then if I wanted the valves checked it was an additional $150ish
Then if the valves needed adjusting they quoted yet an additional $190ish
They showed it all to me in a service schedule pamphlet as well.

-----
525 + tax of 9.25%

I actually asked the guy how they could charge that much for a single cylinder 250 and he just said it is a CBR. He also proceeded to tell me that that valve checks were not needed until 16,000 miles like the other CBR models, despite what the manual says.

I did not hear anything wrong. Perhaps they have changed their tune or perhaps they didn't check your valves or adjust them..

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was not given a choice of whether or not i wanted my valves checked. I'm assuming if its part of the first service then it should have been done anyways. I had my first service done in June or July so idk. But you were quoted 175 though. The 600 price seems like it was for extra stuff that isn't necessary

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sounds like they didn't check your valve clearances. There's quite a bit of dissasembly that has to be done to get at the valves. I do it on my car and I really don't feel like doing it on the bike... although I may end up doing it if I feel I can't trust that it will actually get done. I don't consider valve lash to be extra stuff. I've read too many people say that the exhaust side needed adjustment on the first service.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
service done

So had the valves serviced and the two intake valves needed adjustment. When they were finishing i showed up and there is documentation that is required by honda on all shims since its listed as a shim exchange the shims used and removed are documented so ask to see the shim exchange documentation for proof. bike sounded and ran much better and the 5.5rpm rattle is mostly gone. Seems they were not fully up to speed on the first service when you were quoted. I was the first shim replacement they have done and i went over all their work and he did a great job didnt damage anything and all fairings and such were tight

·
Registered
260 Posts
So had the valves serviced and the two intake valves needed adjustment. When they were finishing i showed up and there is documentation that is required by honda on all shims since its listed as a shim exchange the shims used and removed are documented so ask to see the shim exchange documentation for proof. bike sounded and ran much better and the 5.5rpm rattle is mostly gone. Seems they were not fully up to speed on the first service when you were quoted. I was the first shim replacement they have done and i went over all their work and he did a great job didnt damage anything and all fairings and such were tight
The Service guy at Cool Springs told me on Friday they had serviced 2 CBR250s so far. On one guy's they did the valve check and adjustment. On the other guys they did not. He went on to say that despite what the manual said they were trying to weigh the necessity of it and provide value to the customer by not doing it if not required. If they charged someone around 200$ for the first service, it would most certainly be without doing the valve checks. Or they did the valve checks and nothing else... So either some people there in their service department do not have their act together or they are doing just what they told me they were. He told me specifically though that the first service $175 and that was WITHOUT any valve checks or adjustments.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts