Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

181 - 199 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Here's my rear tyre after 15k+ kms
Somehow I feel these tyres don't age as well as the IRCs.
At this age and mileage it's starting to behave a little bit weird, as in it causes the bike to wobble whenever I change lane, going over the paint on the road. The IRC never did that unless in wet

After having said that though... I'd still say I'd go for these over the IRCs for the wet grip and its eagerness to turn in on corners.

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Ari likes the Bridgestone S20 Evo better for the track stating that the Michelin Street rear has very limited dry grip. Maybe Michelin has put an emphasis on long life with the new Street tires, radial and the bias version that came on my R3.
In this special off-site episode of MC Garage , Road Test Editor Ari Henning will evaluate the sporting capabilities of Michelin Pilot Street Radials, Bridgestone S20 Evos, Shinko SR 880/881s, Pirelli Diablo Rosso IIs, and IRC Road Winners so that you can make a more informed purchasing decision when it comes time to replace your tires.
MC GARAGE SPORTBIKE TIRE TEST

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hrm... If that's the case why's mine almost done?
Is it because my tyres are slightly over inflated? I don't do much aggressive riding

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm actually at 34/34...
'cos I have no discipline in inflating them when they're cold, only when they're hot
Thought I'd add about 4 Psi to them 'cos I check them while hot

·
Registered
514 Posts
You would need 50(+) degree centigrade in the tires, to make that about right.
I assume you guess that. 15k km on them, works pretty good, huu? ;-)
But try 32/32, for a while. In case you got a little square b/c overinflating, you may can shape it a bit.

Your wobble, are both tires lining up? I mean, any work on the bike, lately?

·
Super Moderator
6,923 Posts
Hrm... If that's the case why's mine almost done?
Is it because my tyres are slightly over inflated? I don't do much aggressive riding
I'm actually at 34/34...
'cos I have no discipline in inflating them when they're cold, only when they're hot
Thought I'd add about 4 Psi to them 'cos I check them while hot
Isn't it the same amount of work to check/adjust the tire pressures 'hot' as it would be to do it correctly, when the tires are cold? It would seem that all you are accomplishing is setting the tire pressures incorrectly, and ending up with them overinflated.

Overinflation would certainly explain why your rear tire is almost gone at relatively low mileage.

·
Registered
119 Posts
You would need 50(+) degree centigrade in the tires, to make that about right.
I assume you guess that. 15k km on them, works pretty good, huu? ;-)
But try 32/32, for a while. In case you got a little square b/c overinflating, you may can shape it a bit.

Your wobble, are both tires lining up? I mean, any work on the bike, lately?
Nah no work on the tires lately. And 15k according to some others isn't really that far.
Wynne G Oldman has about the same miles in his tyres and he still has his treads

No discipline as in well I usually fill petrol when coming home (at a petrol station near my home, no stations near my workplace) rather than before going off to work. Don't have the motivation to wake up earlier to fill it up before going off to work.

I'll try taking better care of the pressure with the next set of tyres and see how it goes :grin2:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Here's my rear tyre after 15k+ kms
Somehow I feel these tyres don't age as well as the IRCs.
At this age and mileage it's starting to behave a little bit weird, as in it causes the bike to wobble whenever I change lane, going over the paint on the road. The IRC never did that unless in wet

After having said that though... I'd still say I'd go for these over the IRCs for the wet grip and its eagerness to turn in on corners.

Cheers!
15k KM's? Who cares... get new tires, haha>:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, i use micheline pilot radial 150/60 compared my previous micheline pilot radial 140/70 for rear tyre. I love 150/60 because of lower profile and it makes my cbr250r perform to my satisfaction. Not only give good traction in Malaysian hot and wet weather but also had increased my top speed. I can feel torque punch at 6th gear all the way to top speed. The lower rollout of 150/60 maybe had shortened the final driving ratio. My bike can reached 179kmh straight highway and 181kmh down the slope compared previously it can only reach 165kmh. Eventhough speedo error right now is +-15% compared to last time +-10%, it does not matter, it still faster than before. 165kmh speedometer (reality by 10% error is 148.5kmh) and 179kmh ( reality by 15% error is 152.15kmh), it feels like putting 1 or 2 ponies to my bike. With +-150kmh gps speed and can feel torque all the way to top, i have no regret, i saw gps speed on 250 track race the same +-150kmh. For me micheline 150/60r17 reveal the true performance of cbr250r.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Need new rubber asap. Has anyone tracked these tires? I need something for primarily commuting/canyon runs, but I'm trying to get to a coaching day at the track every few months. Wondering if these tires will fit the profile.
I would have a second set of tires for track. One thing I've noticed also from going psr->dr2s->psr is that while I enjoy the grip profile on the pilots, they noticeably let go on painted lines/tar snakes. The dr2s did this noticeably less. But the dr2 rear only lasted half as long for me.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would have a second set of tires for track. One thing I've noticed also from going psr->dr2s->psr is that while I enjoy the grip profile on the pilots, they noticeably let go on painted lines/tar snakes. The dr2s did this noticeably less. But the dr2 rear only lasted half as long for me.
Yes this...
And after a year of using them, at 15k km I notice that it lets go on the painted lines even in dry. It's pretty unnerving.

Got Pirelli sport dragons on now, they're bias ply but grip better than the IRC and Pilot Street... in wet!

Would love to see how long they last. Might be my next go to tyre

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Yes this...
And after a year of using them, at 15k km I notice that it lets go on the painted lines even in dry. It's pretty unnerving.

Got Pirelli sport dragons on now, they're bias ply but grip better than the IRC and Pilot Street... in wet!

Would love to see how long they last. Might be my next go to tyre
Usually you will sacrifice mileage for grip, so don't expect them to last nearly as long. However even at 15k that is definitely a lot of mileage!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Don't have the motivation to wake up earlier to fill it up before going off to work.
Buy a pump / pressure gauge and do it at home.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
One thing I can say for the Pilot Street bias tires that come on the R3 is that they are very low rolling resistance. I thought I had noticed this when I put the Bridgestone S20 evos in their place and my fuel economy on the R3 went down. Then when it was time to replace the IRC Roadwinners on my CBR250R commuter bike after 15,000 miles rear/ 31,000 miles front, I got another 10% improvement in fuel economy. I hope they last longer too. Some endurance riders on the Ninjette forum are getting 20,000 miles on a rear with the Michelins.
Honda CBR250R FI Single (Honda CBR250R) | Fuelly

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had the IRC stock tires six years and 12,000 kilometers (approx. 7550 miles) on my bike. The profile was still good but there were slight cracks, almost not seeable and the shop recommend to replace them.
I'm now riding the Michelin Pilot Street Radial since 2,500 kilometers and to be honest I can't feel any difference, not even when the roads are wet.

181 - 199 of 199 Posts