Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

141 - 160 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
These tires are AWESOME.

Took them through their paces today. I have never felt so in control of the bike. MAJOR upgrade from the dunlops I had on the bike before. Unfortunately, I left my friends in the dust... I don't feel much remorse though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
New tires

The stock tires on the old 250 were pretty much shot after the 8k miles put on them. Off work today and Just installed a fresh pair of michelin pilot street radials. Going to see how they ride in a couple of hours when this rain dies out. :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Michelin Pilot street radials

Hi all - thought I would add my 2 cents to the discussion. I recently replaced my stock IRC's at 19,000 km. I actually could have run them a bit longer i suspect, but the rear was squaring off which felt a bit wobbly on some turns. I have about 400 km on the new michelins. Like Arrethal said, the front tire does produce some noise, but its not bothersome, at least for me. They seem to be a nice combination of firm, smooth and grippy. in fact, my first ride after getting them installed (at the 19k service, when i had the oil, filter, brake fluid, air filter and chain changed) it was raining and I noticed no tire slippage. Overall I am very happy with them - not that I was unhappy with the stock tires, but they do seem to me to be a significant step up in terms of potential performance. They remind me of when I replaced stock tires on my old mazda with yokohama tires. Hope that's helpful to those of you thinking of replacement tires.

BTW, since my 19k service, the bike seems to have become much more responsive - which is hard to believe, but maybe my air filter was dirty and limiting air flow.

·
Super Moderator
6,916 Posts
I'm curious to hear some feedback from members who now have been running the Pilot Street Radials for awhile, and have gotten some significant mileage on them... how about some real world updates/reviews on these tires?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have 5k km on them...
They're still very eager to learn over (while lean I actually have to countersteer outward just so lightly to keep it from falling over while cornering).

Traction in dry is probably the same as the stock IRCs.

In wet yes it's noticeably better than IRCs. Tail doesn't wiggle as much when going over paint in the rain.

Must... do... trackday

·
Super Moderator
6,916 Posts
I have 5k km on them...
They're still very eager to learn over (while lean I actually have to countersteer outward just so lightly to keep it from falling over while cornering).

In wet yes it's noticeably better than IRCs. Tail doesn't wiggle as much when going over paint in the rain.

Must... do... trackday
How are they wearing?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I have 5k km on them...

Must... do... trackday
Falling over when corning? o_O

Are you sure you just are not used to sportbike tires? You can lean into them pretty dang hard and it won't just fall over.

Could we see some pictures of it on your bike with current wear conditions?

Do you have chicken strips or is it all the way over the edge? If you have chicken strips at all, I doubt they are ready to "fall over".

Would love to hear if other people think the same as him.

PS: Did you pick the name Mage because of WoW? lol

·
Registered
198 Posts
Pilot street radials fitted 3,500 miles on them, not showing any excess wear. Being in ireland the weather is very changeable and to date no sliding problems. Could not say anything bad about I R C tyres. Most important is to read road conditions. Always think what may be over the hill or around the corner and has any vehicle spilled diesel.

·
Registered
119 Posts
They still look like new, really even after all those kilometers

Umm well it's compared with the IRC tires, most of the time in corners when using the IRCs I can find the so called "balance point" where I just hold the throttle and lean angle and the bike's angle just maintains

Not so with the street radials, I'm always having to apply pressure to the outside bar to maintain the lean angle.

Yes I still have chicken strips, 1cm on the left and 1.5 cm on the right side

Nah, Mage is a nick I because of Hexen.

Pictures soon to follow

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm curious to hear some feedback from members who now have been running the Pilot Street Radials for awhile, and have gotten some significant mileage on them... how about some real world updates/reviews on these tires?
Have done 5k kms so far on the Tyre. 800kms after putting the rear, I changed the front as well.

Grip on tarmac: Brilliant. In the wet and on dry. The only time I have an issue with the breaking is in the city when the tyre isn't always warmed up (i am asuming) resulting in skids. I ride 11.5 kms one way from home to work and back and don't have the confidence in the tyre's grip on dry in the city. No issues when I am going out station or touring on the bike though. Have done +1,000 kms rides on the tyre out of the city and never faced a single issue with grip on tarmac. However, NEVER faced a single issue in the rains. Monsoon season is on and the tyre grips well on wet roads so no problems there.
Grip on gravel/slush: This is where I miss my contigos as they were far more assured on gravel. There are times when I have to ride over slush and gravel (mumbai roads..sigh) and the bike sort of fish tales without any brakes being applied!
Cornering: No issues here either. Cornering with pillion is fun as well and I don't have any any issues in this department.
Longetivity: The tyre looks as good as new right now. And interestingly it hasn't developed any cracks like my Dunlop and Contigos did early in their life (They usually do here in India and I am unsure why!)
Handling: The front is heavy and it took me time to get used to its handling. heck I am still not used to its handling. A lot of us CBR250R owners are using Pirelli Sport Demons in the front and the Michelin Pilot Street Radial for the radial for the best handling, cornering and grip.

·
Registered
211 Posts
We have the Michelin Pilot Streets in stock and for half the price, but, shipped from Thailand
110/70-17 $49.08
130/70-17 $57.94
140/70-17 $62.40

·
Super Moderator
6,916 Posts
We have the Michelin Pilot Streets in stock and for half the price, but, shipped from Thailand
110/70-17 $49.08
130/70-17 $57.94
140/70-17 $62.40
Are these tires the Radial, or the Bias-Ply version (Michelin makes both versions in the Pilot Street model)?

Also, I'm guessing these tires may not have U.S. DOT approval/serial numbers on them, or do they?

·
Super Moderator
6,916 Posts
That rear tire looks really good, with a lot miles to go before the tread meets the wear indicators... I would think it should easily go to 20,000 km's (12,000 miles)

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
I would like to hear from owners of the Michelin Pilot Street Radials regarding handling characteristics and wet traction.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Traction doesn't give up on you as abruptly as the IRC tyres
Re: My valentine's day crash. The rear just slid out and before I knew it I was bellysurfing on the road
Mine still tips over better than the IRCs when they were at the same age (about 10k km)
As for wet traction, can only say it's slightly better (judging by it wobbling less when changing lanes over road paint). A little bit phobic in the rain after my last crash. I still kinda freeze up when the rear tyre steps out, bad.
Guess that's about it

141 - 160 of 199 Posts