Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my local honda dealership they have a Red/Silver CBR250R and last time I was in there it had around 200 miles on it from demo rides, etc.

I got thinking about some things:

1. Is there a certain number of miles that can be on a motorcycle that automatically requires that bike to be sold as USED and no longer sold as NEW thus creating price decrease, etc?

2. Should the bike end up getting 600+ miles on it before someone bought it would the dealership be required to perform and pay for the first service/valve inspection?

Thanks,
Randy

·
Registered
329 Posts
They should sell you with warranty coverage anyway.
Go for used price with free 600 miles inspection when you reach the point.

You will see the difference after 1500 miles, when the engine starts to really give all it has got.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im taking my MSF course in two weeks and Will be looking at possibly purchasing a bike shortly after. Im trying to get an idea of my actions should the same bike be available and for sale. I would kind of like the 600 mile service to already be done but its not a sale breaker unless it does already have over 600+ miles.

Thanks guys.

Randy

·
Registered
269 Posts
if it's never been titled it's still new. the warranty begins the day you take delivery of it, not the build date of the bike so you'll still be covered like anyone else. i would hope they'd do the service if it got to 600 miles but i'm sure you could negotiate something with them, it probably doesn't cost them much internally to do it

·
Registered
177 Posts
IMO 200 miles is considered used. The dealer may argue that because it has not been title to a private party is technically new, not sure about "rules" here. But I would not pay new price/ MSRP for something that has over 5 miles.
I'm with Ibex on this one. Even though "legally" it might be considered new, with 200 miles I would consider it used. The mileage would not deter me from purchasing the bike but I would use that as leverage for a great deal.

Good luck.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Is there a concern for break in milage? Most people test riding a bike aren't taking it easy on it by any means. I would certainly ask them to throw in first service. Ive seen quite a few good deals on used ones though. You will be able to find a nice bike some how if it sells. I was going to wait until after msf too and decided to go ahead and buy since season is winding down. Ive clocked over 250 miles already and MSF isn't for 3 more weeks!! ill be well over 500 by then. So probably against conventional wisdom here, I say WHY WAIT!! get on it!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I understand the point that the bike is used and I too would try to get a better deal because of the mileage. However, it is technically still new as previously stated. My point is that from the overall picture I find it very hard to find dealerships willing to let me test ride motorcycles. If we expect great deals every time a bike has 10mi. on them then I guess we are setting ourselves up for the improbability of test riding motorcycles.

·
Super Moderator
2,044 Posts
It isn't truly new because you aren't able to break it in the way you feel is right. To me this is important.

I want to take a back road, run it up and down (compression braking) all of the gears, but mostly in 4th through 6th, while riding home. This is followed by an oil change. More of the same, but emphasizing lower gears on local hilly roads. Another oil change after another 200 miles.

The rings should be seated at this point, and the gears should be pretty well cleaned off plus any minor ring debris flushed from the engine with the 2nd oil change.

Admittedly, I grew up in the 50's, before tolerances were as close as they are now days. And my first bike was a modestly used 1958 Matchless 250 single.

·
Registered
319 Posts
In australia we call it ex demo.

You get them cheaper than a new bike as it has been used obviously.

Mine was delivered with 1 showing on the odometer, I dont think they start at 0

1 - 11 of 11 Posts