Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I just signed the papers for a new Black, non-ABS model! My jacket/helmet, etc arrive this week, and I plan to pick the bike up on Saturday! I've taken the MSF course and gotten the M1 license, but the course was my only bike experience. If there are any other new riders out there that want to meet up and ride together (I live in Glendale), let me know! Meanwhile....I'm using Google Maps satellite view to find large parking lots....lol

Keene

·
Registered
54 Posts
MSF teaches you a lot more than you think. I use the stuff I learned every day.

By taking the course you're already a few steps ahead of the self taught bunch.

As for things you might want to practice above and beyond the course . . the only thing that comes to mind is gear selection at higher speeds when slowing down. The course is very thorough, but can't cover that in a parking lot.

The rest is just seat time. I suggest going out when there are fewer people on the road. It's less embarrassing and there are fewer other drivers to put you at risk while you polish your skills.

Good luck with the bike . . . it really is a gem.

As I was typing this I thought of a couple more things. Hondas have very tight transmissions when you first get them. Sometimes you'll need to rock the bike back and forth to get into first, so best to leave it in first for a while anyway when you're at a stoplight. I don't usually put it in neutral unless I _really_ need my left hand for something. There's no guarantee I'll find first quickly to get moving again.

Second can be a pain as well. The bike has enough grunt that you can go straight to third if you aren't positive that you made second. If you don't get the confirmation click, then just go up again . . . and give it some gas. If you end up in third it'll still pull away as fast as most cars at a stoplight.

'njoy the bike,
awk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Welcome. All the advice given are words to the wise. Here is my add two cents. Ride your neighborhood, where you know the terrain, pot holes, curves, turns, and where sand/gravel may be on the rode. I also recommend riding during day/night hours of low reaffic. Venture further and further as you adjust. I would try open rodes during hours when others are working. These make the best days off. Ride safe and have fun.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Welcome. All the advice given are words to the wise. Here is my add two cents. Ride your neighborhood, where you know the terrain, pot holes, curves, turns, and where sand/gravel may be on the rode. I also recommend riding during day/night hours of low reaffic. Venture further and further as you adjust. I would try open rodes during hours when others are working. These make the best days off. Ride safe and have fun.
Excellent advice here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts