Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually never been on a forum before, this is my first bike and thought I鈥檇 give it a shot to introduce myself. I鈥檝e only had my bike for about a month now, I鈥檓 the third owner (previous owner didn鈥檛 ride it much) and so I鈥檓 definitely gonna be on here looking at basic maintenance and what to look out for to keep it in the best condition possible. It鈥檚 got about 9k miles on it so far. Already ****** around and broke a bolt on the oil filter housing during an oil change, let鈥檚 go 馃樄馃樄馃樄 Luckily I was able to pull it out though lol. Any tips/recommendations are ALWAYS welcome, I鈥檝e never worked on a bike before so here goes 馃檭 I鈥檓 Joseline!
Tire Wheel Plant Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Blue Motor vehicle Gas

White Automotive tire Locking hubs Wheel Vehicle brake

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TIP#2
It is important to pay attention to the correct direction of the filter,

because in the opposite direction it creates a complete blockage of oil passage!!!!馃拃鈽犫槧馃拃
View attachment 45550
This was huuuge for me. I had never seen a spring in any oil filter assembly before or even heard of this and I was so thrown off when I pulled off the filter and saw a little spring 馃樄 Took some asking around to figure out for sure lol. Thanks!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum.
Great photos (thanks for sharing)

We have all broken screws in the past, and we will probably break more in the future.:eek:(y)
We don't do it on purpose, it just happens.

You were really lucky.

What do you think happened that it broke?
...Maybe it was already cracked before (because it was fastened too much by the previous owner?)

My tip: Buy M6 M8 and M10 screws and nuts, grab the nut with a vise, and try to understand what a mechanic's emotion is when tightening screws. try to break them, and try to tighten them correctly.
Honestly I think I just tried to tighten it too much. I always underestimate how tight it is because I don鈥檛 have 鈥渕an hands鈥 馃樄 so I always think I have to tighten it EXTRA hard to overcompensate, but I鈥檓 quickly learning from that lesson. 馃檭 Also I鈥檓 big on specs in general so I definitely need to get some torque wrenches around, because I鈥檓 kind of by the book like that, and the peace of mind is worth it. Especially for something I have little experience working on lol.

Good suggestion on the screws! I think that鈥檚 a great idea, just getting practiced on the feel for it.

Thanks a lot for the tips and the welcome! I鈥檓 definitely feeling the sense of community in the biker world and I think it鈥檚 awesome 馃馃徑

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to the forum Joseline!
If you do purchase a torque wrench at some point, DO NOT use it on those oil filter cover bolts.
There have been numerous posts here over the years of people snapping those bolts using a torque wrench.
Get yourself an inexpensive metric NUT DRIVER to snug those oil filter bolts in. It will help you develop the "feel" you need to avoid over-tightening and breaking them in the future.
Also, avail yourself of the excellent "how to" stickies in the "Service & Maintenance" section here. Lots of great tips in the "DIY Oil Change" thread in particular.
Happy wrenching!
View attachment 45554
**** like the us is exactly what I鈥檓 here for cause I def would鈥檝e used a torque wrench on them bolts bahahah. Great, thank you!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome.

For the smaller, non-critical bolts, I'd recommend sticking with a 1/4" drive ratchet. It's hard to overdo it with a ratchet that size, but it will provide adequate leverage for all the small stuff.

I agree about not using a torque wrench on the small stuff. Plenty of people have snapped bolts before reaching the "proper" torque. Learn what "snug" feels like. That's usually the best.

It's better to use a drop or two of blue (Medium) Loctite on the threads than to over-tighten it.

Have you taken a basic rider course? If not, I would suggest it. There's no time to learn on the street these days, and making sure you have the basics down correctly is the best way to start - if you can't ride dirt bikes.

One thing to look at would be the age of the tires. They don't last forever, even if they have a lot of tread. The manufacture date on the tires is 4 numbers in an oval on the sidewall - like "2619". The first 2 are the week of the year (26th week), the last are the last digits of the year (2019). Most agree that after 5 years the rubber has dried significantly and a good amount of traction has been lost. Get a good tire gauge, know the proper pressure, and check it often.

One other thing to know is how to do is proper chain adjustment and alignment. This video is very good, as is the entire site -

Yes I completed a rider course and have my full endorsement now :) Thank you! I didn鈥檛 grow up riding dirt bikes or have anyone to teach me so that was the only way I felt comfortable learning, was through organized instruction that way.

Thanks for the heads up on the tires, I thought mine looked decent but I definitley only looked at the tread depth lol. Also looking at the chain was def next up on the list so you鈥檙e spot on! I鈥檒l take a look at that and get it going. Y鈥檃ll are clutch 馃馃徑

1 - 5 of 5 Posts